Super-setting

Scobra

Hey-oh! The other day at the gym my friend and I were working out (back and bi's) and had a really intense workout. He suggested we super-set everything, I had no objection and we started to workout. Usually I do a 4x8 of 5 workouts for back and bi's. With this super-set we did 6 exercises of 3x12 (or fail) for back, then 2 exercises of 3x12 (or fail) for arms. Later we did forearms and abs. By the end of the workout we were both out of it and satisfied by a great workout. The next few days I felt really tight and could tell the super-sets did wonders.

My question: Does super-setting give a better workout in a shorter amount of time? I'm training for a the mudder and need to up my stamina and strength so I was thinking of doing a mix of super-set workouts for about 10 weeks (5 days a week) then 4 weeks of heavy. Repeat.

Suggestions/ criticism welcome.

It ups your fatburning

Back when I trained with weights I got really good results with supersetting. Now I just dont take breaks during my workouts.

To me a really good intensive workout on max an hour is the thing that makes me progress.

Journal of Strength Conditioning Research. 2010 Apr;24(4):1043-51.

The metabolic costs of reciprocal supersets vs. traditional resistance exercise in young recreationally active adults.

Kelleher AR, Hackney KJ, Fairchild TJ, Keslacy S, Ploutz-Snyder LL.

SourceMusculoskeletal and Human Performance Laboratories, Department of Exercise Science, Syracuse University, Syracuse, New York, USA. auk167(AT)psu.edu

Abstract

An acute bout of traditional resistance training (TRAD) increases energy expenditure (EE) both during exercise and in the postexercise period. Reciprocal supersets (SUPERs) are a method of resistance training that alternates multiple sets of high-intensity agonist-antagonist muscle groups with limited recovery. The purpose of this study was to compare the energy cost of SUPERs and TRAD both during and in the postexercise period. We hypothesized that SUPERs would produce greater exercise EE relative to the duration of exercise time and greater excess postexercise oxygen consumption (EPOC) than TRAD of matched work. Ten recreationally active, young men each participated in 2 exercise protocols: SUPER, followed 1 week later by TRAD matched within using a 10-repetition maximum load for 6 exercises, 4 sets, and repetitions. Participants were measured for oxygen consumption and blood lactate concentration during exercise and 60 minutes postexercise after each exercise bout. No significant differences were observed in aerobic exercise EE between trials (SUPER 1,009.99 +/- 71.42 kJ; TRAD 954.49 +/- 83.31 kJ); however, when expressed relative to time, the exercise EE was significantly greater during SUPER (34.70 +/- 2.97 kJ.min) than TRAD (26.28 +/- 2.43 kJ.min). Excess postexercise oxygen consumption was significantly greater after SUPER (79.36 +/- 7.49 kJ) over TRAD (59.67 +/- 8.37 kJ). Average blood lactate measures were significantly greater during SUPER (5.1 +/- 0.9 mmol.L) than during TRAD (3.8 +/- 0.6 mmol.L). Reciprocal supersets produced greater exercise kJ.min, blood lactate, and EPOC than did TRAD. Incorporating this method of resistance exercise may benefit exercisers attempting to increase EE and have a fixed exercise volume with limited exercise time available.

PMID: 20300020

---------------

Some interesting links on the same page of pubmed.