Kicking it up a notch in Boston :D

klouisjean

Seems like it is always awkward when you have to talk about yourself. I'm Kim and I have been vegetarian for 5 years and going on 5 years vegan come March. I decided to go vegan after spending a semester doing a research paper for a class on the subject. Once I read the China Study and several other articles and books on the subject I knew that being vegan was the only way.

I grew up playing sports, running and boxing but have always been on the chubbier side. I would lose weight during the seasons and during the off season I would always gain weight. Once I got into college and I stopped playing sports I started going to the gym. Since then it's been on again off again. But this past year I have come the furthest I have in my life in terms of health and fitness and in 2012 I want to push it even further. I ran my first half marathon in October along with a Spartan race and several other smaller races. I lost about 20 pounds so far and am looking to lose at least 12 more pounds and gain some muscle.

2012 will be seeing me run a full marathon, a Spartan Beast and dammit I want to do 10 pull-ups. I managed to do my first pull-up a month or so ago. I also want to out push-up anyone...

For the first time I feel like I am really making positive changes to my body and in my life in general. I am happier than I have been and I finally am starting to feel proud of my body. I want to lead by example, I want to show people what's possible and push them to do it too.

Slàinte my friends!

Hi Kim! Welcome to the forum! I'm new to the community as well and looking forward to gaining knowledge and inspiration through people like YOU here!

Congratulations on your successes thus far, and good luck on accomplishing your goals for 2012!!

Happy New Year!

Karen

Thanks everyone!!! I am hoping that by keeping up with this forum I will stick to my plan and kick some serious ass!

Rolf I believe you are right. Whether you are off season or in season you should be working out and eating right. I believe I remember one of my teachers saying that to maintain your weight you should be getting in at least an hour's worth of exercise and to lose weight you should be closer to two hours a day. But there have been several studies and research done since then, so it could have been refuted.

I have personally found that I have lost weight with all the running I do, but the best results I've seen is when I added in a good amount of weight training, now I am looking more toned and all my close fit better than when I just ran.