Advice with my problem areas

So I've been making some great gains recently and it's been really proving to be boosting my self esteem and whatnot. However I have always had a really thin torso compared to my legs and it's very straight and not at all a natural V. While my shoulders and arms have helped a great deal because of their size, my chest still seems narrow. I do lat workouts which helps my back but the lats sit back so it doesn't do a great deal from a front view. I suppose outer pec exercises would be helpful, which I do in the form of flys. BUT, I wanted to know if anyone else had some advice.

Thanks in advance, and have a good one!

Here's my routine:

Bi's and Tri's

DB Curls

Kickbacks

Incline Curl

Two Hand Overhead Triceps Press

Concentration Curl

Bench Dip

21's

Chest and Back

Bench Press

Pull Ups

DB Fly

Bent Over Lat Row

Incline BP

Supine Pullup

Incline Fly

Decline BP

Shoulders and Traps

DB Shoulder Press

Shrugs

Arnold Press

Upright Row

Military Press

Lateral Raise

With everything I do three sets of 6-9 reps with heavy weights, and do one workout every other day in rotation.

Wow thats a lot - but no legs?

Go back to basics:

Monday - Legs

Squats

Straight leg deadlift (or Romanian)

Calf raise

Wednesday - Push

Bench Press

Overhead press

Dips

Pull

Deadlift

Pull up

Pendlay Rows

Pick your own reps. Personally I do 3x12 or 4x8 (currently 4x8) and use a barbell.

You don't need isolation exercises, big compound lifts (including legs) I think will balance you out. Give this a go then have a play about.

Yeah right now I'm not tackling my legs because I've got long term damage to them after a car accident, so I do isometric stuff to help strengthen my knees back before I start piling extra weight and strain on them. My legs are naturally more muscular than my upper body too so I don't look out of proportion yet. But it's something I do have to start working on.

Also, I agree it does seem like a lot of exercises! But these workouts take me about 45 minutes to an hour, so they're not that bad. With certain routines, in particular the chest, I make sure to hit the muscles from all sides, hence the flat bench, incline, decline, etc. I've always found that doing one muscle and then the opposing muscle gives me the best results

Also, I agree it does seem like a lot of exercises! But these workouts take me about 45 minutes to an hour, so they're not that bad. With certain routines, in particular the chest, I make sure to hit the muscles from all sides, hence the flat bench, incline, decline, etc. I've always found that doing one muscle and then the opposing muscle gives me the best results

if you can do all that in 45 minutes you aren't pushing yourself hard enough IMO.

45 to an hour depending on the workout is what I said. If I'm doing low rep, high weight lifting, why shouldn't I be able to knock out three sets in about 9 minutes with rest time in between? I don't lounge around when I work out, I lift with intensity to put extra strain on my muscles. I'm sure you realize that those are three SEPARATE routines for three different days?

I agree with a 3x12 or a 4x8 set/ rep routine a lot of people could knock that workout out in around 45 mins to an hour. A suggestion though is you could super set a few items of your workout together to give an even greater burn.

• 2 weeks later...
DevilsAdvocate? wrote:

I'd definitely advise, its all about compunds, lots of squats!

SeaSiren wrote:

He can't squat

I'm going to do my best to rehab my knees by running/biking and doing light weight workouts soon... it's tough because some days I can barely bend my left leg without it being in pain. It'll be a process but worth it because I'd like to be able to walk when I get old!