Are you tempted by any non-vegan food?

Cristian

I've now been vegan for year and was wondering if any of you guys "miss" any non vegan food or if have ever "surrendered" to temptation.

I love ice cream, not the Hagen-Daz type, I'm talking about real, fresh ice cream. I'm sorry to say that I've had it once in the past year, anyone else would like to "confess" a similar case?

Fortunately I can buy some good soya ice cream at the supermarket, it'd be good if they sold it at ice cream parlours, bars and restaurants too.

I've messed up a few times on accident and sometimes I noticed halfway through but I kep eating because I figured I'd kind of be dishonoring the sacrifice if I threw it in the garbage...but then other times I have done just that. One time I ordered a taco salad from Taco Cabana. I specifically told them to substitute the beef with extra beans and they didn't do it. I decided I would just try to scrape it off the top. Well the whole thing collapsed into a nasty, beefy mess. I felt nauseated and mad that they messed up my order. I took it back and got what I wanted. The sad thing is that in that case the animal still went to waste. But I could not have eaten that even if I wanted to. Last time I accidentally ate a small piece of bacon, I got violently ill. I can't imagine what would have happened if I ate that greasy abomination.

Sorry, kind of got off track there. As to your question, the answer is FONDUE. I used to go to a fondue party once or twice per quarter. I have learned of some vegan fondue (both cheese and chocolate) and I may throw a fondue party one of these days just to show all my friends how good a compassionate fondue can be.

I don't miss anything, really. I can make a vegan version for everything. Cheese seems to be the biggie for most people (because it is actually addictive); but I was never a cheese eater, so I dodged that one.

I never loved meat so that was easy. Only animal food I liked was seafood, especially scallops and swordfish; other than that, I didn't eat much meat before going vegan. Can't think of anything I miss...

I've got tons of recipes saved; just request and I'll look it up! I have icecream recipes too

I never liked meat and only decided to start eating it when I started bodybuilding and then Competing in Figure. I was told, and believed that I needed "real protein" and got no support for a Vegan BB diet at that time...now enter 2006 & that is thankfully changing ...so no I do not miss that aspect. I would miss sushi except for the fact after a bout of scrombroid poisoning and developing a seafood allergy from it, and a mental block too...that took care of that. I hate cheese, dislike milk and ice cream..I can take it or leave it.. so I am all set !! I am into crunch foods so the Raw Vegan diet is for me !

If I were to stumble it would be the dairy hidden in a prepared food.

Of course I miss the taste, but I do not miss IT in particular.

but I kep eating because I figured I'd kind of be dishonoring the sacrifice if I threw it in the garbage

I get in that predicament sometimes. I am not sure if I should eat it so that it doesn't go to waste and waste the animals life even more or just throw it since I am vegan. I think the first would be better, but I find a hard time...

Gargonzola cheese. Holy crap! I still have cravings for this stuff.

Dryer's Peppermint Ice Cream which only comes out at the holidays & was always a treat with a very thin drizzle of choco sauce. And such a lovely shade of pink with bits of hard peppermint candy in it.

So Raven, what have you got for me to cure this craving?

Of course I miss the taste, but I do not miss IT in particular.

but I kep eating because I figured I'd kind of be dishonoring the sacrifice if I threw it in the garbage

I get in that predicament sometimes. I am not sure if I should eat it so that it doesn't go to waste and waste the animals life even more or just throw it since I am vegan. I think the first would be better, but I find a hard time...

My perspective is that the waste & dishonor occured prior to the animal being served as a meal. Throwing it away does not contribute any more to that waste & dishonor.

whenever i get really sick i crave pepperige farm goldfish crackers. It's happened since i was a kid. I dont eat them now, first their not vegan and second they have way to much salt, but i still get the cravings sometimes.

Every now and then I wont read a label properly either. I'll read it 15 times at the store, get home and read it again...and find out its not vegan.

Thank you for your response CrispyQ, very good point. So would you just throw it away, or give it to someone else? I take it you would throw it, right?

If someone was there I would give it away. However, it would not go home to my kitchen/fridge while waiting to find someone to give it to. But like I said, that's my perspective. Regardless, it makes me glad to have people on this planet like you who even consider such issues!

Every now and then I wont read a label properly either. I'll read it 15 times at the store, get home and read it again...and find out its not vegan.

So many times that has happened! Usually with a product that has many ingredients, which I try to avoid, but it still happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Arg! Isn't that the worst? Usually when this happens to me, the ingredient is honey (like a face scrub I just bought - it even stated "no animal ingredients" right there on the label, the nerve!) and in that case, I'll usually use it and vow to never buy it again. In the case of an egg or dairy ingredient, however, I will try to find a new home for it. Sometimes that new home winds up being the trash...I hate to waste, but I don't want that sh*t in my body, either.

Cravings - yeah, cheese is one. Nachos. Cheese and crackers. Pizza. The fake stuff isn't the same, so I don't eat much of it at all. Eggs are another. If I was alittle hung-over, I used to love going out for an omlet or making an egg sandwich.

Can't think of anything else I miss. My cravings for sweets are practically gone, I used to be a total chocolate whore!

Confession time...on our honeymoon we got a brownie sundae delivered to our hotel room. A whole week in an all-inclusive buffet-style mexican resort and that was our only flub, I consider that pretty good!

There are a few things that I am like "Damn, I should have had one of those before I went vegan."

Other than that I have not eaten anything that is not vegan unless I am at a restaraunt and if they mess up my order and I take a bite into a burrito (or whatever I am eating) then I demand a new one or just throw it away.

I mostly get tempted by baked goods. Also, I don't know if I would say I am tempted by them, but I miss breakfast foods. It's not so bad now that I found a great pancake recipe (Vegan with a Vengeance) and am going to try a 'fronch' toast recipe from the same book. But I do miss being able to go out and eat a big breakfast somewhere.

The temptations aren't too strong. I manage to resist them without too much effort.

• 3 weeks later...

meat and dairy are no problem for me. In fact, I've started to feel repulsed by meat when I see it (natural progression I suppose)

For me, my vice is always sweets! Coooookies mmmmmmm!!!!!

I agree that the toughest thing is to get really excited about a product you find, only to find out that it contains "modified milk ingredients"

I've definitely had the odd accidental dairy or meat (usually a restaurant screw up) in my diet but hey...ya can't beat yourself up over things you can't control.

anyone have a good vegan cookie recipe???

I have just started the vegan lifestyle and I know the only thing I will really miss is salmon and *real* yogurt (the soy is just not the same, but I'll adjust).

I haven't eaten red meat in a really long time. It's amazing how BAD it smells to me.. it makes my stomach turn. UGH.

~ Adrienne

I do not miss any food but what I do miss, and I am surprised I am the only to mention it (could I really be the only one that misses this), is the convenience offered by restaurants. What a luxury it must be to be able to order carefree at a fast-food or sit-down restaurant. Although, on the other hand that missed convenience allows good things: not exposed to (1) wasting money on restaurant food and (2) eating the unhealthful food of restaurants.

• 4 weeks later...