Doug Robson Journal (vegandougie)

Hi All,

Today was cardio, i really stepped up the pace tonight. Heres how i got on:

30 mins on eliptical trainer set on program 3 (a kind of up hill and down hill for 3 cycles). I managed 9.06 Km and burnt 234 calories according to the read out - is this good? It certainly felt good ('good' might not be the right word, i think i meant exhausting!!)

I also did some ab work on the fit ball. 3x25 fit ball crunches, 3x10 left side and 3x10 right side crunches with my back on the floor and feet up on ball. I also managed 1x10 followed by 1x8 reverse crunch where my feet are on the ball and hands on the floor similar to a raised leg push up position, you then bring the knees in keeping your feet on the ball and rolling it in towards you. This one was hard hence the 1x10 and 1x8.

And Karen i am pleased you are going to try out the sayings, they will sound superb in your USA accent. I shall try to remember to add some more in future posts

Have a great rest of your day, i am cream crackered and need to shower (honestly i really do need to shower!!)

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok todays entry,

I was a bit rushed today as i had a few errands to run. Got back by 8:30 pm and trained:

Cleans

x2 @ 10 reps no weights - warm up,

1 x10 reps @ 10kg, 2 x10 reps @ 10kg

Incline DBell

x2 @ 12 reps no weights - warm up,

3 x10 reps @ 5kg each

DBell rows

1 x8 @ 5Kg each, 2 x10 reps @ 5kg each

I was feeling a bit tired and rushed and slight pains in back and left leg so i left out Romanian deadlifts to avoid any injury. I feel i am progressing though, from no workouts just a few weeks ago to starting again i am pleased with my consistency at getting something done.

My depression creeping back but not as bad as last week, thank goodness but on the whole i have been feeling more upbeat and positive.

I must sign of now as i am 'done in' and need to eat my chunck veggie soup.

Hey Doug! Great job "listening" to your body to avoid injury. So proud of you for working out so consistently! This New You New Year Challenge has been super motivating for you too, I see!

Hang in there, buddy! And try not to let yourself slip too deep into the 'dark side'. You're doing so great!

Hi all,

New post for today, cardio only but i made it count!!

Same as tuesday but i upped the pace:

30 mins on eliptical trainer set on program 3 (a kind of up hill and down hill for 3 cycles). I managed 9.72 Km and burnt 260 calories, this really was a good work out.

Mood levels remain pretty ok so i feel i am progressing there as well.

See you all tomorrow

so todays workout was tough, I learned a new exercise i have not used before, the push pull. It felt great and i am really begining to enjoy this style of training.

Lets dive right in, this is what i achieved today:

Pull ups (i found an example on the net how i could use the squat rack to perform a similar puul up move)

Just body weight 2x10 reps and 2x12 reps (took the first 2 sets to get used to this but it was pretty wicked.

Decline Pullover

2x 12 @ 2.5Kg warmup

1x 10 @ 5Kg

3x 10 @ 7.5Kg

Push Pulls

2x 12reps no weight on barbell warmups

1x 6 @ 10Kg (plus weight of olympic barbell) - i found this to heavy and exhausting so i decided to drop the weight

2x 10 @ 5Kgs and barbell

1x 8 @ 5Kgs and barbell

Deadlifts

2x 10 @ 5Kgs and barbell warmups

1x 10 @ 10Kgs and barbell

3x 10 @ 20Kgs and barbell

1x 10 @ 25Kgs and barbell

I felt with the deadlifts i could push it a bit more but decided not to as i was really knackered although i did feel i was strong enough. I am feeling it know as type this post though so i am glad i did'nt.

As far as my depression goes i am feeling really good today I don't know if it is the exercise or the food or even the kind words of encouragment i have been recieving - who knows i am not going to over analyse it i am just pleased i have gotten out of the dark pit i was in last week. Will it last? I have been down this road before of super ups and major downs, all i can say is that i shall enjoy the now, keep tracking my moods and try to figure out what works and what does'nt.

Before signing of for the weekend i want to wish Karen, David and Richard for their support, it really helps

I may go for a bike ride over the weekend, if i do i shall post. I might still lurk about on this forum and add comments here and there to try and encourage others - knowing me though i might end up more of a pest and about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit - but my intentions are honourable - honest.

I feel very tired now and feel i might not make it through the night, if so i want it to be known that my last words were 'go on just one more rep i can handle it...'

Hahahahahahaha! Oh, Doug, you crack me up!!! Keep up the great work and positive attitude, my friend. You're a diamond geezer! I have no doubt there are so many people here on the forum who would absolutely be delighted to get encouraging words from you. Not like a fart in a spacesuit at all! Hahaha, you are so funny! Have a great weekend!

Not a workout journal today but i wanted to post a 'before' pic in my log as a motivational tool to keep going and then later as something to look back on and be able to say ' gordon bennett was that really me?'

I am only putting one up, as i really do look like a right muppet, and i also did'nt realise i was that hairy - honestly i look like a wookie. (Maybe chewbacca should be my new nickname )

Any way here it is warts and all - i am very nervouse about posting it:

PIC_2276.JPG.e0d6d76f16f4d3f50b287e36a4580066.JPG

Ok Monday again, time for my latest updates:

Squats

x3 sets of 10 reps bar only warm up.

working sets: x1-12 reps @ 25kg, x3 12 reps @ 30kg -weight has gone up by 5Kg for last 3 reps

Bench Press (barbell)

x2 sets of 10 reps, no weight this time, warmup

Working sets: x2 sets of 10 reps @ 20kg and x1 set of 8 reps @ 20kg-not much of an improvement but going in the right direction i guess.

Bent over row (barbell)

x2 sets of 12 reps bar only warmup

working sets: x3 set of 10 reps @ 20kg - was getting tired at this point but performed the exercise more slowly, squeezing at the top, felt much better than last week even though number of sets dropped.

barbell shrugs

x2 sets of 10 reps bar only warmup

working sets: x1 set 10 reps @ 20Kg, x3 sets 10 reps @ 25kg.

I had a bad day yesterday with the depression but it didn't last to long and woke up this morning feeling a bit more positive. sometimes all you need is a good nights sleep

Until tomorrow....

Today was cardio, I managed to beat last thursdays cardio and achieved my target of 10Km in 30 mins. This may not seem alot but for me it is a major barrier that i have broken and i am chuffed to bits (that means very happy:) )

30 mins on eliptical trainer set on program 3 (a kind of up hill and down hill for 3 cycles). I managed 10.29 Km and burnt 273 calories according to the read out - is this good? It certainly felt good ('good' might not be the right word, i think i meant exhausting!!)

Abs:

3x15 fit ball crunches, 3x12 left side and 3x12 right side crunches with my back on the floor and feet up on ball. I also managed 3x12 reverse crunch where my feet are on the ball and hands on the floor similar to a raised leg push up position, you then bring the knees in keeping your feet on the ball and rolling it in towards you.

see you all again tomorrow

Karen i was not road running i was on the elliptical trainer, perhaps their is a difference. I did really go for it to make the 10.29. Maybe i have been interpreting it wrong, under the displayed distance it says 'distance K' i assumed the 'K' stood for Km, did i get this wrong?

All i can tell you is that felt like 10 km my heart was beating hard and my lungs were burning. I was also absolutely soaked after. So i shall remain chuffed at this, er for now that is (please don't tell me i got it wrong, my ego won't take it )

Now for today's results:

Cleans

2 x10 reps @ 10kg, 1 x10 reps @ 12.5kg, 1 x8 reps @ 12.5kg

Incline DBell

1 x10 reps @ 6kg each, 2 x12 reps @ 6kg each

DBell rows

2 x10 reps @ 4Kgs each - warm up,

3 x10 reps @ 6kg each

Romanian deadlifts

1 x10 reps @ 10kg, 2 x10 reps @ 15kg

Hi all, cardio only today and i beat tuesdays , not by much but i am pleased with this:

30 mins on eliptical trainer set on program 3 (a kind of up hill and down hill for 3 cycles). I managed 10.43 Km and burnt 276.

I have attached a photo of the display. I am reading it right aren't i? I'd hate to think i have been a complete wally

photo2.jpg.5bda0b0e66ab28db71523879e6d8ed52.jpg

Awesome! I love it! I'm also finding incredible benefits from keeping a journal here on the forum updated daily. My training is better than usual, I also love beating my targets and previous bests and I find it very motivating and inspiring to stay consistent and focused.

All the best!

Yeah great journal Doug, keep up the good work.

I think i was shocked at the 10km in 30mins because i thought you were running and that would be impressive, like getting ready for the Olympics, but now you say its on an eliptical trainer it makes sense but still a great achievement, really good going.

DOUG!! Hey, my friend! Sorry for the misunderstanding - I didn't realize you were on an eliptical, and like Matt above, thought you were running (or "roadrunning" as you call it!). Wonderful job, Doug! No wally here! (Uh... what's a wally??)

Thanks Karen and thanks Mattpb for the comments. I wish i was at Olympic standard - especially this year as they are being held not to far from me

Karen it is perfectly ok no need whatsoever to apologize - i thought i had been a dumb arse (or a wally as we sometimes say in UK) and posted incorrect information. I took the photo to clarify and also make sure i had been reading it right from you guys who know a bit more about these things. However saying that the cardio element has been the most surprising element to this as i find i am thoroughly enjoying it - when my fitness improves i may start adding road running into the mix and have even contemplated running the marathon (perhaps not this year, but i could aim for next year).

You guys have been totally awesome (though i would try an Americanism today ) and Karen I hope you are feeling much better now. I have got loads of really bad jokes to help make you chuckle. Did you enjoy the one i posted?

Today my workout helped me get out of a rut as i felt myself slipping back into the depression again. I felt al ot weaker today but it still felt jolly good and very tough. Here it is:

Pull ups on squat rack:

Just body weight 1x10 reps and 3x12 reps.

Decline Pullover

2x 12 @ 2Kg warmup

1x 10 @ 4Kg

3x 10 @ 6Kg

Push Pulls

2x 12reps no weight on barbell warmups

1x 6 @ 10Kg (plus weight of olympic barbell) - i found this to heavy and exhausting so i decided to drop the weight

3x 8 @ 5Kgs and barbell

Deadlifts

2x 10 @ 5Kgs and barbell warmups

2x 10 @ 20Kgs and barbell

1x 10 @ 25Kgs and barbell

1x 8 @ 25Kgs and barbell

I shall relax this weekend and recover, as always though i shall pop back into the forum from time to time to have a nose around.

Have a great weekend all of you

Keep up the great work Doug, and if marathons are something that interest you and inspire you... DO IT !!

You won't regret it, I can promise you. There's something unbelievably special about crossing the finish line for the first time. The ultimate high. All the best from an ex-Pommy (I've been living in NZ for 10yrs but originally from Stratford Upon Avon). Cheers MF.

Hey Doug,

Yeah the Olympics will be approaching us soon, shame i wont be there to see it. Even though my profile says Canada i am actually from Manchester bt just over here working at the moment.

What are your goals do you have a marathon planned or do you want to be a bodybuilder in a comp some day?

Have a great weekend

Hope you all had a great weekend. First of all thanks for the comments i really do appreciate them. Matt I was up manchester a few months back. My wife is Portuguese and the Portuguese offices are their (she had to renew her identity card). great place, my brother also lived and studied their a few years back.

Mini forklift what is you wifes cousins name i shall look out for her in the triathlon. Wish her luck from me . I also checked out you first video you posted on you tube. It was really good, I thought the way you included footage of your journey was a good move. I am quite nosy you see and i like seeing where other people live. Did you mention you were originally from Stratford upon Avon - home of Bill Shakespear? I studied English as my Major at University and have been meaning to get over their and visit - recommend any good places?

Any way i shall catch up with you all properly another time, because i am real tired and need food and sleep . Heres my journal for today:

Squats

x2 sets of 12 reps bar only warm up.

working sets: x4-10 reps @ 30kg

Bench Press (barbell)

x2 sets of 10 reps, no weight this time, warmup

Working sets: x2 sets of 10 reps @ 20kg and x1 set of 8 reps @ 20kg - same as last week, a it down today and also had to do some overtime at work so very tired.

Bent over row (barbell)

working sets: x3 set of 10 reps @ 20kg

barbell shrugs

working sets: x3 set 12 reps @25kg. - this was an improvement.

I did find that although in some areas i am progressing, i feel very tired. I did have a crappy day today and if i am honest i almost found an excuse not to train. However if this is the worst it gets for me (depression wise) then i can accept it as it is nowhere near as bad as i felt a couple of weeks ago.

Any way i must go and eat lots of food now - i am starving.

only did cardio today. I am still feeling tired and motivation is hard to find. Can feel myself slipping backwards but i did manage to stay in the 10Km in 30 mins area again, so feeling a bit more uplifted about that.

I actually managed 10.26Km in 30 mins on the the elliptical trainer. Burning 272 calories.

I checked out the link Mini forklift thanks for that, i feel a bit of a muppet i should of read your posts properly and i would of found it myself.

I don't know whats up with me this week - perhaps i should start adding more calories to my nutrition plan as i am feeling a bit weaker. But i am also desperate to get rid of the spare tyre (if you saw my before photo in an earlier post, you know what i am talking about ) so i don't know if this will hinder this. Anyway i shall try it and see.

See ya later.