10 mile race

Tarz

nicely done there Tarz.

What mental things do you do when you run for that long?

I've always been a sprinter and the longest I would run competitively was the 400 meters. But when we would train by long distance running I would look down just so that I could see my feet rising in front of me.

Are things still that simple or is everyone listening to tunes etc. to keep them in the "zone"?

nicely done there Tarz.

What mental things do you do when you run for that long?

I've always been a sprinter and the longest I would run competitively was the 400 meters. But when we would train by long distance running I would look down just so that I could see my feet rising in front of me.

Are things still that simple or is everyone listening to tunes etc. to keep them in the "zone"?

Thanks Pheonix and everyone else.

I don't really do anything mentally.

I just try and concentrate on my run. Sometimes I focus on my surrounds. I run on roads/pavements so I have to look up to see where I am going so I don't hurt myself or anyone else.....

I don't listen to anything - I believe that is a distraction.

Usually, I'm just trying to get into a rhythm/flow and maintain that. Sometimes running comes easy - sometimes not so. Sometimes I am tired, not in the mood, have things on my mind etc etc which means I have to concentrate harder.

Do you still run on the track Pheonix?

No more track and field for me although every time I pass by a track in a school yard or university I get that "thing" in my stomach just before I race. I love running fast and I go nuts every time I end up on a beach somewhere. Doing sprints until I can't do them anymore.

I used to get shin splints when I ran long distance or on the road. I guess bad shoes or bad form or both.

My favourite sprint now is against my 7-year old daughter. Damn she is fast!! She even lets me win every once in a while. Bless her little heart

I used to love sprinting when I was a kid. I was one of the fastest kids at my age in my town.

I was briefly a good hurdler -I was my County hurdles champion when I was 11. I lost my sprint speed after that.

Started road running when I was 16 and have been pretty much been running solidly ever since - apart from when I had a bad knee in 1998, when I backpacked around Australia in 2000 and when I broke my foot running in 2004.

I can't see myself never running, unless my body dictates otherwise.

I love track and field. I believe Ben Johnson is still going? You Canadians had an awesome 4x100 team in the 1990's - Donovan Bailey, Bruno Surin - can you help me with the rest Phoenix?

I can't recall the names of the other 2 guys. I'll see if I can find them. Ben Johnson isn't doing much as far as I know. It's too bad the doping has infiltrated sport. I can still remember the day he won that medal.

Hey Tarz, I was a hurdler as well! I ran the 100m and the 400m. Damn I wish I could recall my times. I held the record for the 400m here in southern Ontario for a short while. That was pretty cool.

My younger sister was really fast and they wanted her to try out for the canadian junior olympic team but she just ran for the love of it. She didn't want all the other stress that comes with trials etc.

I'm going to work on getting my daughter to think about track and field.

other 2 in the Cdn 4X100 was Rob Esmie and Glenroy Gilbert.

But as I understand you guys have the latest 4X100 speed demons, well at least in 2004 -----Gardener/Campbell/Devonish/Lewis-Francis.

I love watching the olympic running events........can't wait.