Karen's...

For today's workout, I did the following machines:

warmup: 10 minute walk on treadmill, with last minute jog (jogging is kind of a big freakin' deal for me...yes, even 1 minute!)

Incline press 2x10 @ 40 lbs.

Pec Fly 2x10 @ 40 lbs.

Tricep Extension 2x10 @ 40 lbs.

Preacher Curl 2x10 @ 40 lbs.

Leg Extensions 2x10 @ 80 lbs.

Prone Leg Curl 2x10 @ 60 lbs.

Abdominal Crunch Machine 2x10 @ 60 lbs.

Lower Back Machine 1x10 @ 60 lbs., 1x10 @ 70 lbs.

11 minutes on treadmill, 3.0/6.0 @ 1 min. intervals

I realize everything I listed above may seem really lame to most people here, but I really have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to strength training, so I just decided to start somewhere. It's weird, but I've almost been craving it lately. When I've been on the treadmill or eliptical, especially, I see people across the room doing weights, and it's like my arms are whispering to me, "we want some of that!" Hahaha! But, I'm not really sure where to begin. Anyhow, those are the 8 machines in the workout room I was in, so that's where I started, and now I can go from there. As Amanda, my coach, and I talked about today, just incorporating some type of exercise into my life almost everyday is a major feat for me, especially 2 weeks into it! So, I'm proud of myself for doing something most days, and I'll continue learning and hopefully becoming more effective as I learn. I'm also going to stay off the scale for the next 2 weeks and just weigh myself on the 31st, since the scale is frustrating me.

That's it for today! Tune in tomorrow!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm very proud of you, Karen. You're really doing a wonderful job. Not just in comparison to your previous non-athletic background, but you're doing a wonderful job in general, training more than people who claim to be athletes. You're probably one of the most consistent people on the whole forum and that is something to be very proud of.

Keep up the great work! I love your positive outlook as well. Amanda's great too, and I'm so glad the two of you are working together!

All the best. Have a wonderful week!

Hi Karen,

I had a wonderful time chatting with you last night! You're doing so great and your mental determination is just awesome! I was listening to a talk today on nutrition and the speaker was saying how our bodies need to be given time to respond to new, good things we do for them. We're so programed for instant gratification, but we need to give our bodies at least 28 days to adapt, respond and change- to see clear results and if what we're doing is working. So- all that to say, don't let the scale frustrate you! Give it time and you'll see your hard work paying off- I promise!

I'll be in touch over the next few days with some ideas about how to structure a beginning strength routine! BUT what you did was great- you are finding your way and trying things out! That's awesome... as I always say, it's perfection is not the goal! The goal is always striving to be the healthiest you that YOU can be!

xoxox Amanda

I just have to say that for me weight training and the gym are so much fun because I can do it, and do it well. I remember when I first started back when I was 18 I thought finally something I can do! Growing up with two brothers I was never good at any sports, but when it came to lifting weights I could be really good. My second trainer was a stickler for form, and I caught all that in the beginning of my career as a gym rat. Anyway the point I'm trying to make is that you feel good and you crave it because you've finally found something active that you like to do. Way to go! I started out with baby weights too, but with confidence in your form and the movements you will go up higher in weights, and reps with time.

Awww, thanks for that encouragement, Hayley! I really appreciate it! Yeah, I've just never in my whole life been an active person and not good at anything even remotely athletic. So, just making the mental shift to incorporate exercise into my schedule is pretty huge. But, it's really easy to feel intimidated (and embarassed) at the gym or to exercise around friends because this is all so new to me and I'm not good at it! Hopefully, that will change though. Thanks again for the kind words, and GREAT JOB to you!!!!

Well done on the 1 minute jogging!!! Everyone has to start somewhere. Before you know it, you'll be at 2 mins, then 3, and eventually you'll be up to a mile! I totally agree with what you say about the weights calling out to you. MUCH prefer to do that than boring old cardio!

I'll start today's post by saying that I did not get any fitness in today. My day did not go as planned. It was my intention to meet a friend for lunch, then go to the gym afterwards. But, lunch turned into a late lunch, followed by long conversation, followed by going to several shops to find this thing she was looking for. By that time, it had started snowing, and it was windy and cold. Since the gym is quite a distance from where I was, and even further from where I live, I decided it was best to get home before the roads got too bad and darkness fell. I was incredibly tired, took a nap, woke up with a headache and no energy whatsoever. All those excuses in order to say.... no fitness today. I know that will give me more motivation for tomorrow, though.

I did, however, download a Couch-to-5K app for iPhone today, which I'm looking forward to trying out. Perhaps I should sign up now for the St. Patty's Day run! Aww, and this St. Patty's Day would be my Grandma's 100th birthday! I could do it in her honor! I'll have to give this idea some more thought.

>I realize everything I listed above may seem really lame to most people here

ooooo can I join the really lame club with you?

I haven't been writing down my weights, but I'm pretty sure I'm around the same numbers (e.g. I'm 95% sure I've been bench pressing 40lbs and i'm 110% sure my triceps aren't doing 40lbs!)

Karen,

Those things happen. It's best to be safe when weather conditions get back, so it's good that you went home.

Sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% at the moment. Hope you get some nice fruit, water and sleep to help you feel better when you wake up tomorrow.

I think that run sounds like a great idea! When we meet up to ship out all these prize packages, we can go on morning runs each day!

All the very best. The run sounds great, your enthusiasm for fitness for tomorrow is excellent and as always, I appreciate all your generous work!

It is an absolutely pleasure to work with you and I'm grateful to have your support!

Hi Karen,

As Robert mentioned it is better to be safe than risk the bad weather. It can get pretty bad here in the winter too and have almost had an accident a few times trying to drive in heavy snow.

Sorry to hear you are feeling a bit 'tom dick' (promised you a new one , rhyming slang for 'sick') but hopefully you will get that run in. Look forward to your next post

Doug

You're going to be a running machine, Karen!

You'll be like a fast running rabbit! A little speed bunny!

All the best as you pursue your 5k. Running 5k races used to be one of my absolute favorite things. Perhaps I'll do a little training and do one too.

Look at that. There you go again, inspiring others. You're really great at at. Someday I'll be able to plank as long as you.

Enjoy your next run!

Aww, thanks so much, Gretchen! You're sweet. Let's keep encouraging one another - after all, that's why we're here!

Robert, if I'm inspiring anyone, it's only because I learned from the best.

Edited by kareno

Shoot, I always try to get my journal posted before midnight, and I wasn't watching the clock tonight, so it's officially the next day. Boo. Anyhoo...

Today (well, technically yesterday - Tuesday), I officially signed up for my first 5K!!!!! Woohoo! There are so many things that are 'serendipitous' about it, that I just really feel it's the perfect time to do it. And the idea to do this literally just dawned on me last night as I was typing in my journal here, and today I commited to it! So, March 17 - St. Patrick's Day - will be my first Race Day!

So, today's workout consisted of completing the Couch-to-5K program's Week 1, Run 1. This week's runs consist of a 5 minute warm-up, followed by alternating 1-minute runs with 1.5-minute walks for 18 minutes (?), then a 5 minute cool-down. I did a total of 2 miles on the treadmill. If the weather is nice in a couple of days, I'll try it outside. It felt really good today, and I'm so excited about commiting to this 5K! Plus, the proceeds go to a local organization I used to volunteer with, Partners Mentoring Youth, so that's an added bonus. And, like I said yesterday, the race is on my Grandma's 100th birthday! (Although she passed away 10 years ago, I still love thinking about her!) Starting the training today means that the final day of the 9-week program falls right on Race Day! Perfect timing! What a great way to celebrate the completion of the program!

I was feeling inspired today, and I think my food choices reflected that, as I did pretty well in that regard.

Breakfast was a green smoothie.

Lunch was kind of a hodge-podge of cucumber/hummus, apple/peanut butter, and a Primal Strip.

For dinner I made a pretty yummy salad with kale, warm tempeh and beans, mushrooms, peas, and walnuts.

Had some Vega Sport Energizer on my way to the gym.

A couple of snacks today were some cracker-type things and a Cocomel caramel candy for dessert this evening.

Thanks, all!

Edited by kareno

I am so proud of you, Karen! Seriously! I love seeing these transformations all over the forum and it especially means a lot to watch your progression because I know you so well and have spent a lot of time around you. I'm totally looking forward to your achievement. This does sound like a very cool thing for so many reasons. All the best with it!

Like you, I also try to update my journal before midnight, but I know I was keeping you busy, taking up some of your time tonight, so I'll take the blame for that

We're getting a lot done with this program and it just keeps getting better!

Have an outstanding training session tomorrow!...er, today!

Goodnight! uh, I mean morning!

Thanks, RC! For everything!

OH, and... just so everyone else knows... Not only did I commit to the 5K today, but my best friend decided she wants to do it with me, so she registered today, too! Only after we were both committed to the St. Patrick's Day run, I went to the post office, and lo and behold, completely unbeknownst to me, Robert had sent me 2 GREEN (yes, as in St. Patty's Day GREEN!) Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness t-shirts, one in my size and one in my best friend's size. And he had mailed them even before this whole 5K thing came up. Hahaha! Another little coincidence.

RC is always full of surprises. One of the many benefits you get for your outstanding work with Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness, not just lately, but since you started last spring.

Outstanding work deserves outstanding appreciation and earns outstanding rewards. The greatest reward is making a difference in the lives of others, something I see you and many others in this community do every day. So inspiring!

Get those running shoes on in the morning and get after it! I'll keep working away late tonight to build our website following, build our brand, and get more and more people excited about the Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness lifestyle.

I look forward to reading your journal tomorrow.

Wow- I really need to work out more- I keep fighting the feeling that people shouldn't have to be in the gym longer than an hour but maybe hard work requires a little more in the beginning! I'll try to remember how long you work out when I'm angry that I have to run for 30 minutes

Hi Karen! I'm so excited about your doing the 5to 5K program! That's exactly how I started my journey as well- walking 1 minute running 1 minute until I built up to running my first 5K! It's a wonderful program! You're going to do so well on it!

Of course, let me know if you have any questions! I know you're going to excel and LOVE IT!

I hope you are having a wonderful day! From your entries over the last few days, it looks like you are doing awesome! I am so proud of your dedication and drive!

HUGS! Amanda

Wow, I'm really overwhelmed (in the good sense) by all the comments y'all leave for me here! Thank you so much. It means and helps a whole lot. Thank you.

Today's exercise:

Stairclimber: 22 minutes. Set on the interval setting, so speed varied from 45-65 steps/minute, I believe. Avg. steps/minute=51. 68 floors. I realized today that I actually hate the stairclimber. It's no fun, it hurts my knees, and my toes are constantly getting squished between the steps. Ugh.

Elliptical (glider): 65 minutes. Started on resistance level 4 and increased it in increments of 4 every 10 minutes, then back down. 4, 8, 12, 16, 12, 8, 4 (last 5 min.). It was tough to get through it today! That was the longest and hardest I've pushed myself on that machine.

Treadmill: 35 minutes. Nice, fairly casual walk at incline level 1.0, 3.5 mph. Distance=2 miles.

Food:

Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries and chia seeds. Also a Vega WFHO shake.

Snack: Orange

Lunch: Leftover kale/tempeh/bean salad from last night (had half before my workout and half after)

Dinner: Green curry tempeh with mushrooms and spinach, served over quinoa/brown rice blend.

(I don't normally eat so much tempeh.)

I might as well 'fess up to the fact that my diet fell way short today. Actually, it wasn't bad all day... until I came home this evening. I got a little out of hand (and by "a little", I mean "a lot") with the snacking. Part of the problem was that I made my roommate and I dinner, but he came home late, and I was hungry. Rather than eating my dinner without him, I just started snacking. But, then I kept on snacking, and it really just got out of hand from there. I'm embarassed to admit that, but that's the truth, and I might as well be honest here. I went a little nuts (and by "a little", I mean...). Emotional eater, plus I just started my period (sorry to you men who may be reading this, but we're all adults here). and that makes always me a little crazy ("a little"?). I'm so mad at myself! Grrr....

Looking ahead, I'm anxious to do Week 1, Run 2 of the C-2-5K program tomorrow. @Greenbride, I'm using the iPhone app, too! Love it!

Thanks, guys.

Hi Karen,

Great work in the gym! Wow, you're putting in some serious time in there! Awesome stuff! Hope you have a great upcoming run and weight training workout too.

About the stair stepper. I didn't use to like it either, but now it is all I use. I just think it is the most effective. But, if it hurts your knees and you trip on it (I do too, and smash my toes from time to time) move on to another piece of equipment. Also, there are other versions of stair steppers that are just like foot pedals and you go up and down, no actual "stepping" and those are quite nice. I used to own once back when I first started training for competition.

Your food journal looks quite nice, actually. Don't worry about a little or lot of snacking tonight. You're doing so much cardio, you were likely quite hungry. Totally makes sense. As long as you snack on fairly healthy food, snacking is actually encouraged. That is what Brendan Brazier's system is all about, snacking on healthy foods all day long.

Keep up the great work. Get some rest and have an awesome day tomorrow!

-Robert

Hey sweetie! Don't beat yourself up about the snacking. As Robert said, you're working out a lot and probably need some extra food. Plus it keeps your body guessing and you'll burn off whatever extra you ate! I always like to have some go to snack foods around so I don't go nuts with junky stuff and feel crappy after. Plan those snacks, baby! I always like to have at least 2-3 snacks per day!

MY FAV snack/ dessert is:

1 cup of wild blueberries

1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk

1/2 cup puffed rice or kamut

some raw unsweeted cocoa or carob power or vega sport chocolate for protein

stevia and cinnamon to taste

I think I gave you this recipe on the phone- but it's seriously awesome- like the best blueberry chocolate ice cream ever!

Have an amazing day! Be kind to yourself and celebrate all your hard work! xo

Thanks, you guys. Last night's snack attack was a bit more intense than I think y'all are imagining, but anyway, I appreciate the support.

Today was much better.

Exercise:

Treadmill: Couch-to-5K week 1 run 2: 30 minutes, 2 miles, incline 1.0, 5 min walking warm-up, then 1 minute runs, alternating with 1.5 minute walks for 8 cycles, then 5 minute cool-down. I bumped the speed up ever so slightly today from Tuesday. I did the warm-up and cool-down walks at 3.5 mph, and the walks between runs were 3.2 (Tuesday was 3.0). So far, the program is pretty intense for me, but totally doable, and it feels great so far! It's crazy to think that in 2 months I should be able to run 30 minutes straight. Can't wait!

Elliptical: 60 minutes, 10 minutes at each of the following resistance levels: 4, 8, 12, 16, 12, 8/4

Food:

Breakfast: Green smoothie with Vega WFHO and flax seed

Lunch: Just realized I didn't eat an official lunch.

Dinner: Tofu scramble with tons of veggies, black beans, corn tortilla, and avocado

Snacks: Radishes...and 1 serving of little cookies

Pre-workout: Vega Energizer

Post-workout: Banana and 1/2 Vega protein bar (Chocolate Coconut, mmmm!)