High Protein or High Carb?

Onlybrad

Since different people respond to diets differently, it would be pretty well impossible to prove that a higher protein diet is better than a high carb diet, especially once you factor in other conditions such as type of training done (strength training requires more protein for optimal results, endurance training requires more carbs for optimal results). Me, I do best with higher protein (25-35% of my calories), moderate fat and carbs, but that may not be the case for the next person. I'm much more carb-sensitive that some, so carbs are the knife in my back when it comes to fat loss, but are my friend for being able to take in enough calories when I'm training to get bigger/stronger. So, not only will individual details such as goals, training, etc. play into effect, but everyone also has to consider their individual differences of how they respond to certain macronutrient ratios as well.

Basically, there's no "perfect" diet for every person with every goal - diets should be tailored best around one's goals at the current time!

Since different people respond to diets differently, it would be pretty well impossible to prove that a higher protein diet is better than a high carb diet, especially once you factor in other conditions such as type of training done (strength training requires more protein for optimal results, endurance training requires more carbs for optimal results). Me, I do best with higher protein (25-35% of my calories), moderate fat and carbs, but that may not be the case for the next person. I'm much more carb-sensitive that some, so carbs are the knife in my back when it comes to fat loss, but are my friend for being able to take in enough calories when I'm training to get bigger/stronger. So, not only will individual details such as goals, training, etc. play into effect, but everyone also has to consider their individual differences of how they respond to certain macronutrient ratios as well.

Basically, there's no "perfect" diet for every person with every goal - diets should be tailored best around one's goals at the current time!

25-35% protein would mean about 50% carbs and 10-20% fat so that seems like a high carb diet not protien.

So your doing a high carb diet now then, I guess? You trying to gain weight? What has your results been with this diet so far?

Thanks for help,

Brad

onlybrad - if I'm eating 25-35% protein (I'm currently at about 30%), I keep the fat intake higer and don't usually let the carbs get out of hand. I tend to make sure I'm getting 20-25% of my calories from healthy fats via nuts or oils as I feel better with more fat than with less.

When I'm trying to bulk, or, during periods where I'm lower on energy, I keep the carbs up around 40-50% just to ensure I'm getting enough calories (too hard for me to get enough with just protein and fats during those periods), but when I'm cutting down, I up the protein to closer to 35-40% and the carbs usually come down to about 30% on average for total calories taken in and fats make up the difference. Much easier during those times as I'll be taking in about 800 calories less per day, so I don't end up having to increase protein, I just usually end up decreasing the carbs and things balance themselves out!

• 2 weeks later...

To get higher than 35% (of calories from) protein you would have to be consuming protein powder isolate (which is essentially a refined food) as a really big chunk of your diet. 30% is HIGH protein, and in some people's opinion well beyond the healthful upper limit.

But yeah everybody's different. Personally I feel TERRIBLE on high protein. My body does not like that, I get groggy, have stomach troubles etc. Some people out there swear that they thrive on 80% fat. I am definitely high-carb biased. But different strokes for different folks...

The reason mainstream bodybuilders (and victims of "bro science" everywhere) take in incredibly high amounts of protein is because it is not as readily available as a fuel source, thus less likely to be stored as fat like carbs or fat would be. The pros and competitors use it as a "safety net" against fat gain. If you are taking in extra, unused calories from carbs or fat it can readily be stored as fat. Extra protein calories, however, can be either excreted by the kidneys or take extra energy to be converted to small amounts of fuel.

This causes extra strain on the kidneys though. If you have good strong kidneys with no history of problems its probably ok for you to consume extra proteins but I think some should be on the safe side and moderate their intake. Lower, moderate amounts of protein are more than adequate for natural bodybuilding as long as you're getting needed calories from carbs.

I believe the vegan diet has a huge advantage in this, because many of our carbs include fiber which helps regulate well everything really.