convincing vegetarians???

dandylioness

my boyfriend has been vegetarian for EIGHT YEARS. I have been meat free 2, vegan for almost a year.

His reasons for going vegetarian match up perfectly with veganism. I would like him to consider going vegan, but feel I have no right to preach to him, as he influenced me to stop eating meat in the first place.

Wondering some effective things I could say to change his mind. the other day we made DELICIOUS sandwitches, and he had bought cheese to put on his. after we were done devouring them, he said "WOW. I didn't even put cheese on that!!!!!" I was like "SEEEE!!!!!!"

not sure I could convince him to go vegan. "I just love cheese" he says. That and hes stubborn, and doesn't want anypne to tell him what to do. I just want him to understand that eggs and dairy are just as cruel and gross. hmmmm maybe this is a pointless post, I dunno.

Did you know that dairy animals are treated worse than the animals that are slaughtered? Also, those dairy animals are sometimes used to be slaughtered too, and are considered "down" animals since they have like their legs broken and been sucked dry. CompassionateGirl knows a lot on this subject.

Also, if he went vegetarian for ethical reasons, he should be the very one to be vegan. If he helped you towards veganism, that's a bit hypocritical. You should have a conversation with him on the horrors of dairy foods and whether his pleasure of 5 minutes of eating is worth more than the oppression and torture of the cows life.

You have everyright to talk to him about this. Don't come off judgementally, since maybe he is ignorant to that fact. Vegetarianism should be a stepping stone (if you don't go vegan straight, which I find odd since you care on animals welfare) towards veganism. But 8 years?

I used to like cheese, very much. I went straight into veganism and have no regrets. Don't miss cheese, not even on pizzas. I wrote on another post that I miss ice-cream but I think I've overcome it.

Good luck, hopefully your boyfriend will change his mind soon.

Tell him to quit half assing it.

Diary really sucks from a health perspective. I had constant nasal drip in cold weather, a persistent rash and would occasionally catch colds and flus. Two years without it and I haven't had any of those problems.

I was a vegetarian for about 12 years before going vegan. So it is possible to roll along being an "ethical vegetarian" for quite a while!

Your situation is tricky, though. As you're a vegan, he's probably somewhat aware of the issues regarding eggs and dairy. Or do you think he is not?

I dunno, I think the only think is just to have an honest conversation with him about it. Tell him how grateful you are that he influenced you to give up meat and started you on the road to veganism. Then tell him the reasons you think that veganism seems like the natural next step for him as well. If he says he's totally not interested, I guess there's not much else you can do but wait and see if he changes his mind on his own. But if he says something like "I'd love to, but I can't give up cheese" then tell him how you know people who have said the same thing but have found it so much easier than they thought it would be. My gf is another example. She said the same exact thing. She was a total cheese fiend. It's been only 2 months for her so far, but that's about 1.999 months longer than she would have imagined she would be able to go without cheese. And it really has not been a big deal at all for her.

Looking back now, I would have been really grateful if someone had educated me about veganism earlier.

His reasons for going vegetarian match up perfectly with veganism. I would like him to consider going vegan, but feel I have no right to preach to him, as he influenced me to stop eating meat in the first place.

I think you have every right to 'preach' to him, veganism is the right thing to do, there's nothing wrong with advising someone to do the right thing, to be more compassionate or less selfish. My brother was the person who educated me about vegetarianism, and then years later I educated him about veganism, and he became vegan shortly after I did because of it.

I'd literally spell it out, all the reasons why it's bad to fund the egg and dairy industry, explain about captivity, theft of property, cruel conditions, cruel treatment (de-beaking etc) and of course the direct links to slaughter, and the ultimate end of animals used for dairy and eggs.

Tell him to quit half assing it.

Dairy really sucks from a health perspective. I had constant nasal drip in cold weather, a persistent rash and would occasionally catch colds and flus. Two years without it and I haven't had any of those problems.

Ditto.

I would like him to consider going vegan, but feel I have no right to preach to him, as he influenced me to stop eating meat in the first place.

If he is the one that first showed you the light in vegetarianism, then all the more reason for you to now show him the light with veganism.

Honestly, if he is an ethical vegetarian, appalled by the veal industry for one thing, it is a FACT that consuming dairy directly supports that veal industry. There is no denying these facts.

And as others pointed out, you simply should explain to him that animals used for their eggs and milk suffer longer than animals killed sooner for their muscle tissue (i.e meat). It is no wonder why many have written that if you want to reduce suffering but refuse to go vegan, you make more of an impact if you keep eating meat and give up dairy and eggs rather than the other way around!!!!!!!! Again, undeniable FACT.

Stubborn, shmubborn. You could open the conversation by stroking his ego a bit and thanking him for converting you to veg, and say that because of that wonderful seed he planted you have followed your vegetarianism to its only logical conclusion - veganism. And that if he is motivated by ethics, you invite him to do the same, since diary and egg giving animals endure suffering for longer.

and as Kathryn eloquently states, there is a veal calf in every glass of milk or cheese slice. fact. plain and simple fact.

*most* animals used. right? I thought we went over like the "my neighbors chickens sleep in his bed and they all have breakfast and watch tv and he eats the eggs is that ok?" options. And that's sketchy but not like factory farm sketchy.

• 4 weeks later...

OH MY GOD SUCESS!!!!!!!!!!!

My boyfriend has been vegan for 5 days now, and says its the best hes felt in a LONG time. Last night he told one of his friends he gave up dairy. When they started laughing Nathan said "Dude, all I have to say is JUST TRY IT." He constantly tells me how he feels better, and that his stomach doesnt feel uncomfortable and full and bloated. Hes even started exercising again, and is just all around happy.

I didnt even have to lecture him or try very hard to convince him. I think I called him a hippocrite once though. I mostly just dropped a couple tidbits about the dairy industry here and there.

But he said the thing that sold him was how much better he felt, and how quickly he started feeling so good.

I AM SO HAPPY!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't miss cheese, not even on pizzas. I wrote on another post that I miss ice-cream but I think I've overcome it.

pizza is awsome without cheese i thought i would never have pizza ever again but its so good with peppers, onion, garlic, mushrooms....ok 2nd post tonight about food im starving now ....grrr

and ice cream why not try the soy ice creams or rice??? mucho good yuuuumm