TRAINING TIME: 3.30pm

DURATION: 40mins

COMMENTS: Quite a pleasant arm workout

WEEK: DELOAD

RESTING PULSE RATE: 46

APPETITE: PRETTY GOOD

PRE WO NUTRITION: Raw veges in a garlic naan bread, 1 X Em's Power Bar

http://www.powercookies.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_6_160xauto.jpg

POST WO NUTRITION: 10mins afterwards: Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (barley & wheat grass), 1hr afterwards: Tofu, noodles and veges

ARMS

EZ B.BELL CURLS

55 x 12

77 x 12

77 x 12

SUPERSET WITH

HAMMER CURLS

26 x 10

31 x 10

35 x 10

OLYMPIC B.BELL CURLS

BAR x 10

BAR x 12

BAR x 15

STANDING EZ B.BELL FRENCH PRESS

33 x 15

55 x 12

66 x 12

I really like this exercise, possibly more so than Skullcrushers. Firstly, by doing them standing you recruit your abs more than regular skullcrushers. The other main difference would be that with a French Press you are lowering the bar down behind your head, as opposed to lowering more towards your forehead. Wit that in mind, you can see that there will be a different force related stress that the triceps are put under during a Standing French press compared to a Skullcrusher (vertical Vs horizontal), which would result in greater muscle fascia stretching. Both would be considered isolation movements IMO.

I am presuming this is right, I haven't spent any time looking them up so what I wrote above is observational rather than fact. Makes sense to me though

SUPERSET WITH

PAUSED CGBP

BAR x 12

88 x 10

110 x 10

132 x 8

154 x 8

HYPEREXTENSIONS

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Random question that I hope you might have an answer for -

I know that soy foods eaten in excess can have negative effects on the body/mind, but can tofu? It never occurred to me until a few weeks ago, but being made from soya, it would make sense that it has the same effects, but I've never heard anything on the subject.

I know that soy foods eaten in excess can have negative effects on the body/mind, but can tofu? It never occurred to me until a few weeks ago, but being made from soya, it would make sense that it has the same effects, but I've never heard anything on the subject.

I'm sure you would have to eat considerable amounts of tofu for it to have any negative effect on the body/mind. Not something I would be overly concerned with

Meet my new training partner Jamie King. 18yrs old and a lifelong vegetarian; pound for pound probably the strongest deadlifter I know...

He's the first one up in that clip, that's his final lift from a meet we both competed in last week. A comfortable 484 deadlift at 147 bodyweight (3.288 x bw). He's been lifting for just under a year, that deadlift was amazing to watch and he made it look easy

http://biggerstrongersmarter.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/roar-deadlifting/

We'll be training together as we both work towards the Canterbury Champs, April 21st 2012. Looking forward to training with him, I'm sure it will be nothing short of epic.

I'm sure you would have to eat considerable amounts of tofu for it to have any negative effect on the body/mind. Not something I would be overly concerned with

Worry over the amount of soy you may or may not eat....

That guy is 18 and lifting 484...? All I have to say is holy shit lol That's really impressive, especially for his size.

Completely agree, I thought he was having me on when he said his opening lift was 440lb. He told me he pulled 506lb in training at the end of January but he didn't want to attempt that weight as this was his first meet ?! Crazy potential right there.

I haven't trained since Sunday, just felt that I needed the break and some rest. I'll ease back into it, diet has been good though so I'm sitting about 148 right now. Eating pretty clean but taking advantage of my appetite. Some of todays food...

BREAKFAST (8am)

450g rolled oats & linseed

100g muesli

1 x banana + hanful of blueberries

2 x tbsp soy protein powder

400ml AlfaLite (milk replacement)

MORNING SNACK (10am)

Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (550cals) + 1 x Em's Power Bar (300cals)

http://www.powercookies.com/uploaded/thumbnails/db_file_img_6_160xauto.jpg

LUNCH (1.30pm)

Salmon, 2 x poached eggs, 2 x slices of gluten free bread, field mushrooms & 1 x long black coffee

AFTERNOON SNACK (3.30pm)

5 x date & almond Frooze balls (500cals)

DINNER (6pm)

Medium size Vegan pizza on gluten free base

EVENING SNACK (9pm)

Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (barley & wheat grass) (550cals)

Lunch.jpg.bceb6c15955d7762a90753cda855b122.jpg

Lunch

Dinner.jpg.a312338f34d477b92969568d9b5cab0f.jpg

Dinner

1770591329_FroozeBalls.jpg.d5352412742ac120d6bfb4e1bd233fda.jpg

Frooze Balls

FRIDAY 2nd MARCH

BODYWEIGHT: 146

TRAINING TIME: 3.30pm

DURATION: 45mins

COMMENTS: Quick session but was pretty good. Felt well rested and ready to go

WEEK: DELOAD

RESTING PULSE RATE: 45

APPETITE: GREAT

PRE WO NUTRITION: Cocunut rice, hotplate of spicey beans wrapped in seaweed, cashew nuts, bok choi + carrots (see photo)

POST WO NUTRITION: Soy protein shake w 5g creatine, 3g Glutamine + 1 tsp greens (barley & wheat grass)

GENERAL

BW PULLUPS

STANDING 1 x ARM D.BELL SHOULDER PRESS (UNSUPPORTED)

26 x 10

35 x 8

44 x 6 *PB*

BOX SQUATS (WIDE STANCE, 1" ABOVE PARALLEL)

BAR x 10

88 x 10

132 x 10

176 x 10

LEG PRESS (ASCENDING WEIGHT + REPS)

3PPS x 8

4PPS x 10

5PPS x 12

5.5PPS x 15

6PPS x 20

166358505_php7OjP0iPM(1).jpg.3b03a1b15b5e422b28bebafb597172c4.jpg

Lunch

That's looks well tasty!

What spice did you add to the beans? Also what beans did you use?

I couldn't tell you mate as it was at a local vegetarian restaurant, I just asked for it spicey.

Hope you have a great weekend, Arnold weekend. Go Poundstone! I hope he does well although realistically I think he will finish 2nd or 3rd. I would have to back Savickas for the win.

O

That's looks well tasty!

What spice did you add to the beans? Also what beans did you use?

I couldn't tell you mate as it was at a local vegetarian restaurant, I just asked for it spicey.

Hope you have a great weekend, Arnold weekend. Go Poundstone! I hope he does well although realistically I think he will finish 2nd or 3rd. I would have to back Savickas for the win.

I'll be backing Terry Holland & loz

Was hopin to be tagging along where laurence shahlei trains with a mate of mine this wkend but don't think it's happening now:(

plus he's at the Arnold obviously....

Have a good one matey, deload weeks done...bring it on haha

ps have you ever read Dinosaur Training?

Mike Jenkins take the win, Poundstone second and Shaw tore his biceps. He actually suffered a partial tear on the first event which was Apollons Wheel; he continued to compete even with the tear and it looks like it completely went on the last part of the Timber Carry (which was the last event). We'll see what's up in upcoming days I am sure.

http://www.arnoldstrongmanclassic.com/index.html

Site has results, videos and pics!

Had an amazing workout last night, have been watching a lot of the Strongman finals the past week or so and have been somewhat inspired haha.

Will type it up later this morning, the last set I did saw me lying on my back afterwards, I probably needed oxygen as I was close to blacking out. If I could have bottled the intensity I had I could sell millions of them !!

SUNDAY 4th March

BODYWEIGHT: 147

TRAINING TIME: 8.30pm

DURATION: 60mins

COMMENTS: Intensity was through the roof, determined to kick some arse tonight

WEEK: DELOAD ~ BUGGER THAT !!

RESTING PULSE RATE: 48

APPETITE: GREAT

PRE WO NUTRITION: 450G oats + linseed, 100g muesli, 1 x banana, 3 x tbsp protein powder, raw walnuts, dessicated coconut, cinnamon and blackstrap molasses (see photo)

POST WO NUTRITION:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_58E2nn_t7wE/TUIo7TmdbxI/AAAAAAAAABI/FMQNKcxKOjM/s320/DSC06471.JPG ** Just the one though, haha

STRENGTH ENDURANCE SESSION

CONVENTIONAL DL's

135 x 10

225 x 4

225 x 4

315 x 8

352 x 3

RAW BOX SQUATS, WIDE STANCE (box set at parallel)

BAR x 15

88 x 12

88 x 12

110 x 10

132 x 10

HAMMER STRENGTH DL

2PPS x 20

3PPS x 12

4PPS x 10

4.5PPS x 13 *PB*

** I really needed oxygen at the end of that set, I more or less collapsed and lost my vision for maybe 2 or 3 secs. Stayed on the floor for a couple of minutes.

Rep 3 felt so tough, then reps 4 and 5 felt okay. Got through to 8 okay and I felt like I was on my limit getting to 10, on reaching 10 I decided I was going to try for 12. After getting the 12th rep I took about a 10sec rest and slowly grinded out one more from somewhere ~ no way would I have got another rep.

I'll admit to you now, I was inspired by this...

Dinner.jpg.53cc43e00b08d6238ed817630ef314e5.jpg

Can I pick your brain on these greens powders mate?

Have you noticed a difference when using them? Do you just use it post workout?

Was thinking of getting this next time I order

http://www.myprotein.com/uk/products/organic_barley_grass_powder

TBH I just throw a teaspoon into my shake whenever I have one. I don't notice any difference from taking it, apart from the fact that I rarely get sick nowadays. I don't think you can attribute that to the greens, but they would play a part as Barley Grass is extremely alkalising in the body; technically if you're body is in an alkaline state then you can't get sick. This is the main reason I use them.

I'd say if you can fit them into your budget they would be worth trying mate.

Cool, £6 for the smallest bag won't break the bank to try them. Looks a great way to get in some minerals, Been thinking of trying them but seeing your post shakes it's made me want to try it. Did you have any issues using them at first? I know you need to start with a low serving.

I had a cheeky bottle of crabbies ginger beer yesterday

Hope you have a great lifting week

You pushing yourself so hard that you need to lie on the floor after makes me feel like a pansy! haha I'm going to re-read that post tomorrow before I head down to the gym for some motivation. You're crazy!

You pushing yourself so hard that you need to lie on the floor after makes me feel like a pansy! haha I'm going to re-read that post tomorrow before I head down to the gym for some motivation. You're crazy!

That's exactly what I was thinking haha! Maybe I need to start using some personal headphones and some rockin' tunes.

Forklift, do you know if Poundstone is natural or not? He go heavy on the supps? Heavy on protein?

Forklift, do you know if Poundstone is natural or not? He go heavy on the supps? Heavy on protein?

Not Forklift, but I can probably answer this one easily enough!

Poundstone is strong as hell, but not natural. Very, very few pro strongmen competitors are natural. Heck, even the bulk of the top level ams are on something these days. Having a handful of current and retired pros that train at our facility lets you hear all the details from the insiders. Even tons of guys who don't look like they're using are still on something, so long gone are the days when it was always 100% clear that someone was juiced.

Just figure this - most sports have an issue with performance enhancing drugs, be it baseball, football, track & field, strength athletics, and so on. Then, in particular, when you're talking about a guy who carries single-digit bodyfat levels on a 300+ lb. frame for a man who has deadlifted 900 lbs. and overhead pressed over 400, it should be pretty clear that Poundstone isn't clean.

Saw him recently & he's incredibly lean isn't he for a strong man competitor

I know he doesn't train full time in strong man events due to being a cop & have seen him stop half away through a dead set & he'll mimic the atlas stone movement. 

I think you'd need the DNA of a god to become that big/lean & strong.