Squat, bench, DL & occasional running

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate summer! Winter is more beautiful!

How are you enjoying the bb routines?

Yeah, I'm quite enjoying it. It's a good change for my body although I don't think it will be long before I start craving the heavy stuff again ~ realistically I'd like to be in good form to do the Raw Champs again this December.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/381631_10150419423933720_556433719_8502214_564230901_n.jpg

I have a title to try and defend

Edited by Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Hey MF,

Great journal, I just found it and read through it today.

The first thing I noticed is your low resting heart rate. When you do your cardio, do you wear a heart rate monitor and if so, do you ever check your heart rate recovery times, say for example how much your heart rate drops at 1 minute of rest during a cardio workout?

Your resting heart rate is so good and with your past experience in marathons etc, I was just interested in hearing your recovery rate times if you keep track of it.

Thanks for the interesting journal.

Thanks for dropping by and your comment, much appreciated !!

I've never really monitored my heart rate in the gym, but although the last year or so I have been powerlifting my actual background is in endurance sports. Mainly running ~ I'm a keen marathoner and ultrarunner. I've done plenty of running using a HR monitor and I normally sit in the 120-150bpm range for a typical 5min/km pace. I'd like to think my pulse rate correlates to just having generally good aerobic conditioning ?! I know when I was doing a lot of running (my max weeks topped out at around 150km), it was in the low 40's most mornings, that's why I think the aerobic side of things probably has something to do with it.

FRIDAY 15th JUNE

BODYWEIGHT: 138

TRAINING TIME: 4pm

DURATION: 30mins

COMMENTS: Good session although didn't get time to hit biceps

WEEK: READY TO ROLL

RESTING PULSE RATE: 46

APPETITE: GOOD

PRE WO NUTRITION: 1 x raw cashew & LSA bar, 1 x lge espresso

POST WORKOUT NUTRITION: Choc Performance protein (top left of photo)

TASTE: 8.5/10

MIXABILITY: 9/10

TRICEPS

INC. CLOSE GRIP BENCH

12/10/8/6

STYLER PRESS

12/12

DIPS

12/12

782708616_Quickpic.jpg.0e5243946ed160422dd4b4e9f4ed20ae.jpg

286020580_Vegasamples.jpg.4c9641dca132560b529a3e4731326c8c.jpg

SUNDAY 17th JUNE

TRAINING TIME: 3pm

DURATION: 40mins

COMMENTS: Great session!

WEEK: READY FOR THE SHIT TO GET SERIOUS

APPETITE: GOOD

PRE WO NUTRITION: Tom Yum rice and beansprouts, coriander pancakes & espresso (see photo below)

POST WORKOUT NUTRITION: Vega 'all in one' shake (top row in middle)

TASTE: 7.5/10

MIXABILITY: 10/10

CHEST/LEGS

INC. D.BELL PRESS

12/10/10

BENCH

12/10/8

BOX SQUATS

12/10/10

LEG PRESS

15/15/15

1176311921_PreWO.jpg.c4867b296840fcd9ce4fe5d6c1eca125.jpg

Pre Workout lunch

369163550_Vegasamples.jpg.87302983546c194a8e3294134f68a41e.jpg

Hey MF,

Great journal, I just found it and read through it today.

The first thing I noticed is your low resting heart rate. When you do your cardio, do you wear a heart rate monitor and if so, do you ever check your heart rate recovery times, say for example how much your heart rate drops at 1 minute of rest during a cardio workout?

Your resting heart rate is so good and with your past experience in marathons etc, I was just interested in hearing your recovery rate times if you keep track of it.

Thanks for the interesting journal.

Thanks for dropping by and your comment, much appreciated !!

I've never really monitored my heart rate in the gym, but although the last year or so I have been powerlifting my actual background is in endurance sports. Mainly running ~ I'm a keen marathoner and ultrarunner. I've done plenty of running using a HR monitor and I normally sit in the 120-150bpm range for a typical 5min/km pace. I'd like to think my pulse rate correlates to just having generally good aerobic conditioning ?! I know when I was doing a lot of running (my max weeks topped out at around 150km), it was in the low 40's most mornings, that's why I think the aerobic side of things probably has something to do with it.

Yeah, low 40's is very very good and representative of the great cardio shape you was in when you was running. Of course, where you are at now in the high 40's is still very good.

I would be very interested to hear what your recovery heart rate time is in say 30 seconds and 1 minute of rest after getting your heart rate up to around the 150-160 range. If you ever get a chance to check this I would love to hear what it is.

My recovery heart rate can drop from 150 to 100 in one minute and my resting heart rate is no where near as good as yours, upper 50's for me on a good day. So your recovery heart rate would probably be well below 100 in one minute.

How old are you?

Yeah, low 40's is very very good and representative of the great cardio shape you was in when you was running. Of course, where you are at now in the high 40's is still very good.

I would be very interested to hear what your recovery heart rate time is in say 30 seconds and 1 minute of rest after getting your heart rate up to around the 150-160 range. If you ever get a chance to check this I would love to hear what it is.

My recovery heart rate can drop from 150 to 100 in one minute and my resting heart rate is no where near as good as yours, upper 50's for me on a good day. So your recovery heart rate would probably be well below 100 in one minute.

How old are you?

Okay, I'll try to do that next workout and get back to you

I am 35yrs old in a few months time, how about yourself?

I am 44. But I had some cardiovascular health problems 9 yrs ago(which i discuss on my website) and have come a long ways since then which I credit my food intake for.

You are doing great at 35! I figured you were in your 20's. Healthy eating and living can do that for you.

We are seeing more pro athletes competing into their 40's now, even in cardio intense sports. But I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg on this matter. I think if you took someone from the day they were born and they ate properly throughout their life, literally who knows how long they could compete, into their 50's, 60's even?

Took my HR straight after my last set of dips tonight.

AFTER SET: 140bpm

1min LATER: 100bpm

1hr AFTER: 65bpm

Took my HR straight after my last set of dips tonight.

AFTER SET: 140bpm

1min LATER: 100bpm

1hr AFTER: 65bpm

Cool, thanks for that! Yeah, I figured you would get back to 100 easy. The shape you are in, I bet you can go to 160-170 and still get back to 100 in a minute. But then again, the shape you are in it would probably take a lot of effort on your part to even get your rate that high, unless maybe it is some exercise you are totally not used to.

I agree, thanks for your posts - and what a great website you have. Very interesting and informative !!

One of my goals for the remainder of this year is to really dial in my abs and sharpen them up considerably. Took a quick pic last night, I know I need to spend more time training them.

ab.jpg.23c4f6d0fb47426d2c55386f1e77f80a.jpg

WEDNESDAY 20th JUNE

TRAINING TIME: 5pm

DURATION: 45mins

COMMENTS: Great session despite the gym stinking of B.O (thanks to the fat guy with the beard)

WEEK: READY TO RUMBLE

APPETITE: GREAT

PRE WO NUTRITION: (see photo)

Ramen noodles, beansprouts, TVP (textured vegetable protein), tofu & chinese vegetables in a coconut curry sauce and served in a claypot with coconut rice.

POST WORKOUT NUTRITION: (see photo)

SunWarrior vegan protein (2nd from the right, bottom row)

TASTE: 8.5/10

MIXABILITY: 10/10

ARMS

B.BELL CURLS

33 x 15

44 x 12

55 x 12

HAMMER CURLS

26 x 10

35 x 7

LYING CURLS ON INC. BENCH

13 x 10

13 x 10

EZ B.BELL PREACHER CURLS

33 x 12

55 x 8

STANDING FRENCH PRESS

22 x 12

33 x 12

44 x 12

CGBP

88 x 12

132 x 10

154 x 8

BW DIPS

** That was quite a big workout for me, rest between sets was kept to an absolute minimum.

475773784_PreWO.jpg.3da127846b1b1e27fa570312fb2ec278.jpg

Vega.jpg.306f02b61af46197350fd15a13cc3c9d.jpg

hey MF, can i ask is your bodyweight in lbs ?

The reason i ask is that does not seem heavy and in your photos it gives the impression you are much bigger because of your muscle development.

Either way you are looking awesome, keep up the good work

Matt

I can't wait to get back on the lifting platform again.

People only see the end result, they see a number which is the total for your three lifts but they have no idea of the pain that you put yourself voluntarily through in order to get to you to that point. What is needed from you that is above the recreational gym goer? Well, you need to tap in to your soul ~ tap in to things that you keep hidden because of fear, the fear of hurting someone or yourself to get that next rep. To surpass the pain threshold in order to accomplish what you know you are truly capable of.

I hope some of you will join me for the ride MF.