Chinups in an hour

Jay

The last few weeks I started just doing 3 hour chin workouts every other day. Just 7 to 10 sets every hour, usually 7 to 10 reps each set. (Well short of failure.) (With dips and military presses circuited in there also.)

Thanks Rob. I think you could probably do a lot more if you ever tried something like that.

Thanks for the warning Offense.

I don't think that record is correct though Madcat. I've heard Jack Lalanne did 1000 chinups in 83 minutes. Also there's this guy who did over 200 straight at the age of 67. http://www.aafla.org/SportsLibrary/IGH/IGH0101/IGH0101f.pdf

And I've heard there's an asian guy who did 360 straight, also when pretty old... My goal is to get to 50 straight then switch to one arm chins and just see how far I can go.

That is awesome range of motion Will! I don't have quite that range

I get quite a few comments about how I do "partial reps" for pull-ups but just a few days ago I did reps where I went to a complete hang for a moment then all the way back up.

-Robert

I'm strongest at the bottom so there's no reason for me to not go all the way down. I don't bother pausing at the bottom though because that's more time on the bar and my hands get a little raw with doing 200+ each workout. I go up as far as I can also. I don't stop when my chin just barely clears the bar or tilt my chin up or anything silly.

Thanks for the link Will.

Yeah I saw how you do them in your video Rob. It looks like you do a partial range of motion very quickly, so I'm guessing that helps with explosive strength at about 1/3 to 1/2 of the way through the full motion. I usually do mine slow and steady and focus on breathing

Edited by willpeavy

Yeah, I knew someone would point out how I did them in the movie. Those were especially short range ones because I think that full shot I did a ton of reps, but we cut it down to show just 3 or 4 in the video.

I need to work on greater range of motion. I just like those quick explosive reps for a number of exercises.

-Robert

Yeah, I knew someone would point out how I did them in the movie. Those were especially short range ones because I think that full shot I did a ton of reps, but we cut it down to show just 3 or 4 in the video.

I need to work on greater range of motion. I just like those quick explosive reps for a number of exercises.

-Robert

like dumbell benching?

I'm not sure exactly what they count as a rep. I haven't researched it. I usually do reps from a dead hang up til where the bar taps my chest at top of armpit level

Yeah I go from almost fully extended arms, and pull up so that my hands are against my chest and head is above the bar. I try to do the movement slowly like all others. I still suck at them but I think that as long as you do the exercise correctly you stand a better chance of actually working the muscle through the range of motion and in the long run it will benefit you

-Robert

like dumbell benching?

Something like that Jonathan

Last night I did some full-rep pull-ups, just for you guys!

And I did Decline bench sets of 5 reps with 235 pounds, which is good for me.

-Robert

• 2 weeks later...