Do you ever get the ridiculous urge to go jogging at night?

Lyric

It's really annoying, I'll wake up and grudgingly eat a small breakfast, work out, shower, go on about my day, then every single night come 12am, I want go out for another jog. I'm obviously not going to because I don't feel like getting hit by a car or raped and murdered by someone on the trails.

Is this common? Should I add in a second evening workout, and then shower yet again? I really don't want to go to bed sticky and gross, but that sounds like a lot of expensive vegan shampoo and soap literally going down the drain.

• 2 weeks later...

In the summer I get the feeling every night even if I did just workout 3 hours prior. However, I live in Moorhead, MN so I have no problem running alone at night. I suggest you either up your intensity at the gym or get a treadmill. Although I know a treadmill isn't exactly the same, it can do the trick somewhat.

• 2 months later...

I also get these urges, what I do is try to find the darkest road or path even. I consciously focus on adjusting my eyes, soon the dark is no longer...I also find that the other senses tend to be hightened. It's great training tool for the mind, control of thoughts, fears, imagination, these are all things that can cripple ordinary people.

• 7 months later...

I run laps of a local suburban athletics track, it's very peaceful, except for my music, and having to dodge the ducks roosting there if they don't hear my music and get out of the way. Stargazing helps me keep good form with eyes above horizon and I almost always see shooting stars. Also the sprinklers come on at 1.00am good fun.

• 4 months later...

I like running after dusk - my current pb on 5 and 10km (if I remember correctly) were done late evening/night. Sometimes I run to work (25-30km), start at 3:00-4:30am to be able to get a good recover before going on my shift.

A lot of wild animals (deer, boar, elk, grouse) are active during late nights where I live, so it's great to see some animals once and a while , still havn't been chased by boars (have heared them shouting/barking, but they havn't attacked... yet).

Since I live on the countryside, which means no street lights, it's important to wear proper nighttime equipment:

Reflex vest, extra reflexes on ankles, arms, hands, proper headlights, perhaps cellphone if something happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pics of a midnight trail run I did last week, was pretty amazing...

485479_10151363576810474_1551121252_n.jpg

START OF MIDNIGHT TRAIL RUN IN THE PORT HILLS

935429_10151363577590474_1085131430_n.jpg

COOL PHOTO, THIS IS ACTUALLY ME RUNNING PAST THE CAMERA. THE LIGHT IS FROM MY HEADLAMP AS I RUN PAST

923459_10151363578265474_1172206392_n.jpg

THE UPHILL BEFORE WE LOST THE TRACK AND ENDED UP COMPLETELY OFF-COURSE

65661_10151363578585474_27249472_n.jpg

TAKEN IN THE PITCH BLACK OVERLOOKING GOVERNORS BAY. CAMERA SETTING MADE IT LOOK LIKE DAWN, BUT THE LIGHTS BELOW GIVE IT AWAY

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm so jealous of where you live... a rough city isn't exactly the best place for night running. Unless it's running away from various drunken stabby types. Those pictures are amazing :/

Yeah, I guess I'm lucky. I live close enough to be able to run in relatively unpopulated places, I also have a regular group of people that I run with and funnily enough we all like to run late at night so that would make it safer still. As well as the forests, hills and trails we're all only about 20mins away from a beach that stretches for around 20km. We often just head out together for an hour and then turn round to run another hour or so back to our cars. Two hours in the sand is tough work, a few of them do it all barefoot as well

936122_10151363580145474_768510911_n.jpg