How big do I need to get??? Pics included!

I would love to compete in a contest at some point, although at 42 years of age, it would have to be a Masters class. I have been at it for years adn right now I am 6' 2 1/2" tall and I weigh 216 lbs.

I know size is not everything, but over 200 lbs is considered heavyweight so should I target a specific weight range before I start concentrating on balance and getting cut, etc?

Pics posted on next page.

The pics are embarrassing. Not that great. I am also embarrassed because I have gained some chub since last August. I was in great shape in August at 210 lbs. I then hurt my shoulder and stopped heavy lifting for 4 months! I was told to keep eating big but as a result gained fat. We also went to Disney World for a week and although we walked a lot, I ate a lot of bad food! Lots of deserts.

Anyway I am not in as good a shape now and I am frustrated. I lost a lot of definition and even the peak on my biceps is mostly gone and looks smaller. All I can do is keep eating better and working out and see where it takes me.

Edited by boardn10

It would probably always be easiest if you were to post a photo of yourself so that the BB'ers of the board can give the best advice on how much you'd reasonably expect to need to do before considering stepping on stage. Stats alone can be VERY tough to go by for gauging how someone would fare in competition, so I have the feeling that you're going to get more of the request of "photos are needed for good advice" before you're going to hear too much!

I don't really have anyone to take a picture of me and the mirror shots are not coming out well....too much glare. I think I am too white to compete. I am the whitest white guy!

My friends think bodybuilding is stupid and won't take the pictures and feel awkward asking my wife, LOL. I will try to get something.

Edited by boardn10

Turn the flash off on your camera to avoid glare from a mirror

Or leave it so we can pretend like it's still 2001 and MySpace is still awesome.

All kidding aside, I totally understand what you mean, OP, about not knowing how much muscle to put on, though, my concerns aren't BB specific - looking to do PL competitions and I'm currently touting the line between classes and, although competition is a long way off for me, I'd like to start planning ahead.

I will try to get something this week guys! I am a little upset because I looked better last year when I weighed 210 and had more of a V shape. I have been taking in a lot of calories the last few months and do not look as good at 216 right now. I am trying to gain muscle, but I was stronger over the summer when i was 210! I get frustrated feeling like I can never get beyond about 212-218 unless I were to try steroids which I would never do. Maybe I need to start back on the protein powder and creatine in a another month or so. Last summer I was in the middle of a 4 say program so maybe I should try that split again.

OK, this is embarrassing but here are som pics I took in the mirror. Not that great. I am also embarrassed because I have gained some chub since last August. I was in great shape in August at 210 lbs. I then hurt my shoulder and stopped heavy lifting for 4 months! I was told to keep eating big but as a result gained fat. We also went to Disney World for a week and although we walked a lot, I ate a lot of bad food! Lots of deserts.

Anyway I am not in as good a shape now and I am frustrated. I lost a lot of definition and even the peak on my biceps is mostly gone and looks smaller. All I can do is keep eating better and working out and see where it takes me. I just woke up when I took these pics. I am right hand dominant and that is one problem I have, my right arm is always larger than the left.

IMG_1730.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

Edited by boardn10

Thanks, I am still in a weight gain phase but I think I am gaining too much fat. I am not used to carrying this much extra fat. I have been doing three days a week and will be going back to a food day split soon.

I will try to get some better pics after getting a pump.