TB testing

Synny667

I think you would be hard pressed to find any medication or vaccinations or what have you that's vegan. If it doesn't have animal ingredients, it was probably animal-tested.

That being said, I take prescriptions when I need it, which is thankfully not often, and I would never tell someone not to take medication because it isn't vegan. I suppose you could argue that this is a test and not actually medically necessary to save your life.

I'm just curious, what's the price difference between the test and the x-ray?

If it really makes you feel better to opt for the x-ray instead and you can afford it, then go ahead with that. But if you can't afford it, I would probably go with the test.

That's just my opinion and what I would do in a similar situation. Of course I would suggest you do what you are most comfortable with.

I think we had a long thread once about flu vaccinations and whether vegans should be vaccinated. It was interesting.

Neither are going to be cheap. I don't have insurance to pay for these and have to pay out of pocket. They said they gave me 4 months to get it done but just to see the doctor is $120 not including the test and physical they want.... That is half my paycheck.

Check with your doctor how often you'd need to have the x-rays vs. the skin test (or whichever they want to use).

Also, the tests don't necessarily check for the same thing. The test should tell whether you have TB at all, but not whether it's latent or active. The chest x-ray can detect active TB, but not latent. Generally, you should have the test first, then the x-ray if it's positive to determine whether it's active.

Finally, what if you're vaccinated? Will that give you a pass for a few years?