Where to start

chi town

hello, i am starting to eat more raw foods in my diet and i am looking to gain muscle and speed and just get tone. I am not looking to get huge where you cant wipe your own butt..

i am trying to start a good meal plan and a good workout plan as of right now this is what i would usally do..

i do eat tons of furits and veggis and least two types of fruit in the AM, with some eggs and one peaice of wheat bread..

lunch is more furits and veggeis with some i know i know meat like chicken trying to get away from it...

snack usally vegges and or more fruit..

dinner is usally consists of chicken and veggeis

snack if i choose is more veggeis and through out the day i drink maybe 8 or so glasses of water if not more..

workouts are the usally beginner stuff like bench and pushup and ab crunchs and squats with dumbells, and lungs..

i have been doing this one workout called the Spartacus Workout, i would do this workout two times a work,maybe...

Circuit 1 two times, rest for 2 minutes, and repeat two more times, for a total of 4 circuits. Once done, rest 2 minutes and move on to Step 2.

dumbell hang pull

Offset Dumbbell Reverse Lunge

Single-arm Dumbbell Swing

Thrusters

Single-leg, Single-arm Underhand-grip Dumbbell Row

Dumbbell Chop

Plank Walkup to Push

Rotational Dumbbell Straight-leg Deadlift

Squat Thrusts

Jump Squat

and i am gonna start to swim more not a big fan of running and i will bike more when its not frezzing out..

also i take whey protein before and after my workout and after my work out i take it with veggeiss...

pretty much i believe i need to replan my meals and my workouts, but to me i feel like their are some imporvments going on in my body..

thank you very much for the help, and for this great site with tons of good imformation...

• 2 months later...

Do you have a link to that sparticus workout? Where did you find it, in a video or magazine? Sounds like you have a good start to things. A couple suggestions: Well a lot of people on here are going to tell you get rid of the eggs and chicken from your diet. But if you can ease your way off of them little by little and actually get rid of them that might be a good option. You may have better luck than going completely "cold turkey". A few months back I listen to a doctor give a speech at a vegetarian festival. He was talking about how he had lots of friends and acquaintances that were "chicken-atarians" basically vegetarians like yourself that still eat chicken and eggs. He said it was funny/crazy to him because if he still ate meat chicken would be the last thing that he would eat. It seems to be one of the most messed with as far as hormones and such. Someone just posted on this forum recently a link to an article that talks about how they are genetically modifying chickens so that they will not grow feathers. That is crazy/scary/and awful sounding to me.

The other thing is the whey protein. Look into cleaner sources that your body can use better and is easier to absorb. Hemp, pea, rice etc. There are lots of options out there. Vega brand is the one that I like the best as far as taste and nutritional ingredients.

-Dylan

Are you asking for advice? Are you becoming vegan? I'm not judging or anything, just legit questions.

The function of protein in the body is to help produce growth and aid in recovery. Proteins from fruits and veggies and 100% assimilable because our bodies digest them quickly and easily, or so I've read. Meat and animal based proteins can take anywhere from a day to a week to digest and as a result our bodies only absorb around 30-40% of the proteins in them. I personally follow a high carb(fruit based), low fat, low protein diet, all the time. Initially I thought all the carbs would make me fat, but I actually lost around 20 ibs. Today I ate 935 (g) of carbs, 96 (g) of protein and 50 (g) of fat. That came from 20 bananas, a few cups of grapes, a 1/2 watermelon, 4 cups cooked rice, 1 cup lentils, 1/2 a box of raw spinach, a head of green leaf lettuce, a few tomatoes and an avocado.

I say all that just to say that "a lot" of fruit and veggies is relative. I would say I eat a mediocre amount of fruits compared to many others that I know, while most people that I'm around everyday think I eat a massive amount of fruit. And of course I'm wondering if you have fears about going without animal based proteins.

"The function of protein in the body is to help produce growth and aid in recovery. Proteins from fruits and veggies and 100% assimilable because our bodies digest them quickly and easily, or so I've read. Meat and animal based proteins can take anywhere from a day to a week to digest and as a result our bodies only absorb around 30-40% of the proteins in them."

Justin that is excellently put. Do you have a source that you can site?

Oy Vey..... Ok, here we go. I didn't exactly get that from one source, and most of it I didn't get recently. So I've been going back over different sources this morning that I've read in the last year so that I could actually site a least most of what I said above. One amendment that I would like to add though is that being 100% assimilable doesn't actually mean of course that we will assimilate 100% every time or even most of the time. There are a great many other factors involved such as the rest of your body, toxins in the body, activity level, food combining etc. etc.

-Lisa Cicciarello Andrews, university of Cincinnati talks briefly about red meat and digestion. (http://www.weight-loss-center.net/weight-loss-blog/2008/09/truth-about-red-meat-digestion/)

-Dr. Doug Graham talks very extensively about digestion of a variety of different types of foods in "The 80/10/10 Diet".

-Wade Lightheart (Pro Bodybuilder) talks about Protein absorption in a raw vegan bodybuilding video produced by Markus Rothcranz.

I'll keep looking for some other sources I've read and post them later, but I have to go now.

A slow digesting protein is also good before bed with amino acid to.

Don't just go for fast digesting protein sources

What do you mean by amino acid? Proteins are made up of amino acids. I think there are 19 that we categorize, and 11 essential ones that make up a "protein". That is one aspect that I think there is a lot of information on though that I haven't really tapped into or studied a great deal....... yet.