Problems with my diet

brettmartin

Hey guys. 24 years old here, 6'1", 175 lbs. Currently I am taking in roughly 3800 calories a day. Not sure what my other stats are. Anyways I am not really happy with my current diet plan. I am a vegetarian but not vegan. I am still not that bulked up but the thing that is really concerning me is my fat around my waist. A little to much for my liking. My fat content right now is a little to high at 117 g a day and I would like it under 100 and I figured my other stats were ok. Not sure though. Was thinking I just needed to lower my fat in grams but I can't seem to find a way to do it. I am a hardgainer! My sodium is 5900 mg a day. Not sure what my body fat percentage is or anything else.

It's funny because back when I was eating meat I was pretty bulked up and 190 lbs. But I had much more fat. My macros looked like this:

Calories: 3298

Fat: 70.4

Carbs: 423.8

Protein: 238.6

And now my macros look like this:

Calories: 3887

Fat: 114.6

Carbs: 397.5

Protein: 340

So everything is much higher for the most part aside from carbs. Like I said I was pretty bulked up but just had much more fat around my waist. I am also thinking now my protein content is to high so do you think I should lower it? Because I used to be at 238 and I still had pretty good size. Not sure if it's to much protein now or not. If I do lower it, I can not afford to lose my calories. I need to stick at 3900 or so. I just need help on what to do.

Thanks.

Picture of my macros now: http://postimage.org/image/wj33vc7wh/

• 4 weeks later...

I'm no expert on this stuff, but it seems your fat intake is pretty high, about 15% of your diet. Carbs: 47 and Protein around 40%.

I would definitely increase your protein to a level greater than your carbohydrate intake. That should take care of your fat around your waist. I noticed you consume a few processed meals, stay away from that stuff. Mainly just chemicals and what not. Replace it with tempeh or bean based meal to get natural proteins and nutrients. Quinoa is also a great meal, complete protein with calories, can't go wrong.

The fat you eat is the fat you wear. Glucose metabolism inhibits fat metabolism. So the body stores the excess fat intake because it can't use it.

Protein -> Building Blocks of new cells.

Carbs -> Fuel for the majority of cells.

Fat -> Needed for testosterone, cholesterol and as fuel for the heart/brain during fasting.

0.6 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than enough protein. Excess protein is either converted to Glucose or excreted in urine.

Carbs should be between 70-80% of your total calories. Cells will go into catabolism(breaking down) without enough fuel.

Your diet looks healthy except those fake meat products high in fat.

Total Fat intake should be between 7-10%.

Your total fat intake will always be above 10% anytime you eat animal products and excess on oils/nuts.

How come so much sodium?

You can look at the characteristics of nature, all plants are low in sodium and high in potassium. All mammals should eat a diet low in sodium and high in potassium. Also low in fat when eating high carbs. Low-carb diet is a carnivorous diet, just to let you know.

Unless you run a marathon and sweat the sodium out, that much sodium is more lethal than beneficial.

Hopefully I placed things into perspective for you in a non-offensive way.

Instead of just following what others say on the internet, I suggest getting a good book (or at least borrowing it) like Becoming Vegan or Vegan For Life. They will give you everything you need to know, and they both have science to back up their conclusions. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Becoming-Vegan-Complete-Adopting-Plant-Based/dp/1570671036

http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Life-Everything-Healthy-Plant-Based/dp/0738214930