Any vegans who lapsed and returned...?

Grape Nuts

Well, maybe you're a "good sheep" as well - we're plant eaters after all. So of course you have to fart when you eat meat.

hahahaha. I know eh.

The point he doesn't understand is that bacteria in the intestines produce ammonia to break down the meat for him.

Farting is caused by bacteria in the gut digesting proteins, sugars etc that have not been properly digested. If eating meat causes farting then it is likely you have poor bile production/ low stomach acidity. I recommend drinking ginger tea before eating and having some fresh beet juice every morning.

It is so easy for you to all jump in for an argument when I keep things simple. It is cute.

Nope. What's really cute is that you're in a huff because people here don't agree with you and don't like to be insulted by someonw who acts like a know-it-all about nutrition. It's quite ridiculous.

There is indeed no evidence that eating a vegan diet is healthier than eating an omnivorous diet with a few animal products. There is also no evdence that a well-planned vegan diet is less healthy than a well-planned omnivorous diet. Each diet has its own issues. However, there is still the question how much and what animal products have their place in the human diet. I guess that question might have been too complicated since you prefered an insult over a real answer or what?

Nutrition experts only talk about "moderation" but how many or how little animal products are healthy or not - I've never seen a definite answer about that, only vague guesswork and even that differed from one source to the next.

Farting is caused by bacteria in the gut digesting proteins, sugars etc that have not been properly digested. If eating meat causes farting then it is likely you have poor bile production/ low stomach acidity. I recommend drinking ginger tea before eating and having some fresh beet juice every morning.

How do these bacteria digest the meat? Ammonia? ... ??

I'm not looking for a temporary fix. Does the ginger tea and beet juice stimulate hydrochloric acid?

Um farting has nothing to do with eating meat. A lot of vegetables are gas producing foods. Gas is produced while ingesting and digesting foods.

The point I was trying to make is that the gas produced from digesting meat stinks while the once in a while gas from vegetables is odorless. For me anyways since I've drank a lot of fresh carrot juice over the years to clean up my gastrointestinal tract.

Are you referring to onions and garlic? Vegetables with sulfur amino acids? Maybe these cause stinky gas?

How do these bacteria digest the meat? Ammonia? ... ??

I'm not looking for a temporary fix. Does the ginger tea and beet juice stimulate hydrochloric acid?

Ginger tea stimulates stomach acid while the beet juice helps unclog the gall bladder. Meat is broken down in the stomach, by acid, if that is not happening and you have undigested meat in your lower intestines then you have problems. Other things that will help is: Do not eat meat with foods that require other enzymes to digest, this could also leave meat to be not properly digested. High carb (sugar) diets also cause the body to not produce much acid, it will take a while to get that back.

Ginger tea stimulates stomach acid while the beet juice helps unclog the gall bladder. Meat is broken down in the stomach, by acid, if that is not happening and you have undigested meat in your lower intestines then you have problems. Other things that will help is: Do not eat meat with foods that require other enzymes to digest, this could also leave meat to be not properly digested. High carb (sugar) diets also cause the body to not produce much acid, it will take a while to get that back.

There is nothing to get back because it was never low or high.

What I find strange is that you say we need meat while you use plants to unclog your body of the excessive amounts of fats that come from meat. ??

What does meat have that we can't get from plants?

Edited by veghead25

I think you are confused....

I did not say the gall bladder was clogged by fat from meat.

The symptoms you described do show that you have stomach problems.

Let's start with vit b-12 and easily biologically-available, complete proteins.

I think we spoke before. You already know why I am here, the lack of cholesterol and fat in your brain probably makes it difficult for you to withhold information.

"Withhold?" I don't think your omni diet is helping you at all with word choice. If you're going to insult someone else's intelligence, try not to fuck up while doing it.

Carbs, proteins, vitamins and minerals don't clog anything. Whats left? Fat. We need fats however not the excessive amounts in meat.

The only thing we Vegans need is to make sure to get enough ALA for EPA/DHA and monounsaturated fats for testosterone.

Complete protein is a myth.

B12, you can read my original 10+ page report once its finished being typed.

Anything else?

It depends what you eat and what state your intestines are in.

My intestines are in Georgia. What should I eat?

ROTFL!

Carbs, proteins, vitamins and minerals don't clog anything. Whats left? Fat. We need fats however not the excessive amounts in meat.

The only thing we Vegans need is to make sure to get enough ALA for EPA/DHA and monounsaturated fats for testosterone.

Complete protein is a myth.

B12, you can read my original 10+ page report once its finished being typed.

Anything else?

It depends what you eat and what state your intestines are in.

My intestines are in Georgia. What should I eat?

ROTFL!

HAHAHAHA I do love fantasy-fiction, I would love to read your report.

HAHAHAHA I do love fantasy-fiction, I would love to read your report.

The concept of a spherical Earth was considered "fantasy-fiction" by everyone until it was proven correct.

I would of started eating meat if I hadn't come to the truth.

When are you heading over to delusional paleo land? marksdailyapple is a perfect fit for people like you.

• 4 months later...

Mina, I'm glad you brought up the blood type diet. It was one of the many resources I discovered along my health journey. Ironically, I was looking into ayurveda at the same time and I was amazed at how closely they lined up! Certain doshas in ayurveda tend to be certain bloodtypes and the recommendations for eating in each discipline match up with almost spooky accuracy. And ayurveda has been in practice for thousands of years!

I'm blood type A and sure enough, almost all the foods the blood type diet A (and the Pitta-Vata dosha) says to avoid are foods that I don't care much for and steer clear of naturally. Most of the foods recommended by both were already staples for me. I experimented back and forth, added a few spices here and there, and bingo, I had a delicious diet. Shortly after that, I went vegan--which, frankly, wasn't much of a jump by that time.

Since then, I've gone back and forth from vegan, raw vegan, and vegetarian in order to work out some kinks. I found the kink: I was dangerously magnesium deficient. Turns out, once you are seriously magnesium deficient and under a lot of stress, there is no way on earth to get the megadoses of magnesium necessary to balance again from plants alone. That's why I was craving diary and meat so bad and getting ill on a vegan diet--my body was desperate for mag. So, supplements. And they're working--Yay!

I'm going to take a few months to equalize and make sure I'm actually absorbing what I'm eating now (one of the many things mag regulates), and then try raw vegan again. I still follow the blood type diet and ayurveda for the most part because it works so well for me. Statistics and medical tests are worthless to me if I wasn't in them; I always conduct my own test, I call it "eating." The blood type diet has a load of great information in it and I learned a lot about how the circulatory, endocrine, and the gastrointestinal systems rely on one another. As you said, you don't have to adhere to the diet tightly to get a huge benefit from it. It would be interesting to learn how blood type lines up with ectomorphs, mesomorphs, and endomorphs, too, because ayurveda sure does!

Baby Herc, a gorgeous mesomorph pitta-vata A

Well I've learned to not take everything said on any bodybuilding forum as whole truth until I find out more for myself. MOST non-vegan bodybuilding forums are HEAVY on the bro-science with most users on at least some kind of stimulant (not enough energy from carbs/too much protein/fat) and/or whey powder (cheese industry waste).

Many of these people will sit on a keyboard and type out a lie. These forums are a second gym-hangout for these folks and they're happy to give their BS stories.

I'm not saying they're horrible people, just saying there is A LOT of BSing going on while the 'roids and supplements get sold on the side and BS article after BS article gets written.

Having been a follower and participant of many forums since the beginning of the internet (and even before, who remembers BBSs?), I followed a lot of BS advice, spent a lot of $$ on useless crap my poor body had to deal with, and dealt with many injuries and "one size fits all" programs and exercises.

In the past 8 mos I've never been more healthy and INJURY FREE since finally following the advice of folks who know what they're doing, and it's mostly been from following experienced, humble truth tellers/teachers on Youtube. In fact Youtube is where I discovered Robert Cheeke who inspired me to go back to being vegan (didn't do it right the first time) and KNOWING I could build muscle at the same time!

I became a vegetarian when I was around 13 or 14 years old, started eating meat again around 16 or 17 or such, when I was 19 or 20 I became a vegetarian again, for a short while, then I ate meat again because I wanted to become stronger and I didn't really look for any alternatives, in all honesty I was just plain ignorant and perhaps stupid .. I became a vegetarian again about a year ago or such and a vegan a month, almost 2 months ago. But the only thing I still ate was cheese and sometimes some milk-chocolate. I've had a lot of back and forth swings, most of the time it was because I'm easily persuaded, influenced, etc. Though that is less nowadays ^^ .. I'm 23 years old now, by the way.

Also, I'd like to add to the jungle man, Tarzan, (aren't you supposed to be eating fruits all day long, you're tarzan, you live in the jungle, with monkeys and apes, they eat fruit and leaves, perhaps some insects now and then yes?) I personally became a vegan because I want to minimalize the suffering in the world. I know that it's far to complicated to completely eradicate all the suffering in the world today, though hopefully in the future, and being a vegan is one of the best ways to aid in that cause; to make the suffering in this world less. Eating meat equals contributing to the suffering in my personal opinion. I could care less if my diet and or lifestyle would cause me to die a few years before most omnivores would, or that I would get to little of this or to little of that and therefor be in risk of this and that.. I'm a vegan because I want to help in making the world a little bit better and eventually, hopefully, a LOT better. Also, apart from a few uneducated vegans, I'm pretty sure most vegans are extremely healthy and that's good enough for me .. I don't know the science stuff behind it, just sharing my opinions.

I DO feel a LOT better physically since I became a vegan though. my body feels better, that counts for a lot to me

sorry for possibly feeding a heated discussion!

a gorilla doesn't eat meat and he is big and strong.What more proof do you want?

That may not be exactly true, came across this article recently:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2010/03/100305-first-proof-gorillas-eat-monkeys-mammals-feces-dna/

Also applying the reasoning "Hey this species doesn't eat meat and they are big and strong so we can be too" isn't necessarily a valid one in my opinion because we ARE different. Am I saying you cant build muscle and be strong on veganism? Of course not. But I am suggesting it should be presented to others in a more scientific and applicable manner.

a gorilla doesn't eat meat and he is big and strong.What more proof do you want?

We aren't gorillas. We have to look at our nutritional requirements. Gorillas have a big colon to ferment cellulose into fatty acids, we don't. We started hunting animals because our fat soure(nuts) ran out.

@StevenC

Read the stuty. The article is bias.

Meat consumption. Until recently, hunting of diurnal, group living primates by bonobos was considered to be absent [32] and detection of DNA from such species in bonobo feces would have certainly been considered to be contamination. From observations at Lui Kotale it is known that bonobos of this population hunt and consume the meat of several primate species. Given the paucity of information on the behavior and food selection of gorillas at Loango, we think that the possibility exists that the results from gorilla feces originate from endogenous DNA that has passed the digestive tract. There are various ways to explain this. First, gorillas, in contrast to bonobos, eat highly carnivorous driver ants that scavenge on carcasses, bones and other animal remains and by doing so could take up DNA from their prey. In this context it should be noted that a detailed morphological analyses of 177 gorilla feces from this region did not yield any evidence, such as hair or bone remains, for vertebrate consumption by gorillas (C. Boesch, personal communication).

Real source: http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0009419;jsessionid=4223AC5B1F82B47555699DFA2F2E814F

Just curious if their are any long term vegans here who started eating meat again for whatever reason and then went back to being vegan for whatever reason... I post at a non-vegan body building website as well. Every once in a while a vegan diet thread comes up. People always chime in with stories about how they were vegan for 5 years, started eating meat again, and felt much better. Maybe some were lacking nutrients or maybe it is all mental but makes me wonder. Seems like a lot of people become vegan thinking it is an easy sure fire way to lose weight. It is harder to cut up on a vegan diet, especially in body building. I have been vegan since 2004, veggie since 1994. It was my attempt to be as healthy as I possibly could be, and I am healthier. But lately I question that there is not a healthier way. Sure would be simple to hit macros with some flesh thrown in! Talk me off the ledge...

I went vegetarian when I was 14, gave it up for about 2 years in college thinking it would make me more buff. It didn't. I didn't have a meatgasm or feel better eating meat again. In fact, I felt better when I became a vegetarian again and a few years later a vegan.