Fruitarian Maxing Out 300 lb Bench Press Machines

I also do the 811 diet and I'm very quickly growing to swear by it. But this guy honestly isn't the best example. I've only done it for about 5 months, and he's done it for five years, but I think he's only been lifting for a short time. For his weight and the amount of time he's been lifting he is getting great results though.

Charlie Able has been on the 80/10/10 diet for over 20 years, and is in excellent shape. He's in his 50's now and isn't as big as he once was, but he's still in excellent condition. He has a book and a youtube channel.

(youtube) http://www.youtube.com/user/charliesgym?ob=0&feature=results_main

(book) http://www.vibranthealthandwealth.com/bookstore/bookstore-individual.php?ID=19

Yeah, I hate to say it, but maxing out on machines does NOT equal real strength with a barbell or dumbbells. Not even close.

I used to be able to bang out 3x5 on the Hammer Strength plate-loaded incline press with about 360-400 lbs., and my *true* strength for a barbell incline bench was probably only about 265-275 lbs. at the time for a max single. Same thing with their decline bench, I maxed it out for a few reps @ 450-500 lbs. in plates but there's no way in hell I could have come remotely close with free weights.

Sure, it looks impressive, but it's a poor gauge of true strength and is more of a "let me show off by slapping on twice the weight I can do with a barbell" sort of thing. They're fun to play around with, and obviously they have their place in some training protocols, but do very, very little to show anything remotely valid for being "strong". One thing about them is that one can learn the leverages better to get more weight moving on them, and when you take out those pesky stabilizer muscles, you'll find that things are a LOT more impressive in the world of machines than they are with free weights.

Not meaning to put the guy down, it's obvious he's not weak, but anyone who wants credibility of proof of a bull-strong fruitarian is going to want a lot more evidence than what's in those clips. If you posted those videos anywhere that omni folks are training hard and heavy, they'd only use it as evidence to show to each other that they were right in their thoughts that you can't get too large or strong on 80/10/10. It would do more to validate their opinions than change their minds

811 is the most natural diet, and is the healthiest choice for a lot of people. But we are not naturally meant to have huge muscles and push lots of weight. If we were then muscle gain would not be a difficult process, and it is. So for that purpose I don't think 811 is the best choice. I still choose to follow it, but I'm prepared to modify my goals.

Hey Vegan Essentials, what is "omni"?

811 is the most natural diet, and is the healthiest choice for a lot of people. But we are not naturally meant to have huge muscles and push lots of weight. If we were then muscle gain would not be a difficult process, and it is. So for that purpose I don't think 811 is the best choice. I still choose to follow it, but I'm prepared to modify my goals.

Hey Vegan Essentials, what is "omni"?

Justin - Omni is simply the short version of omnivorous", which gets used a lot to infer "non-vegan" when it is noted.

Like I say, if people feel great on 80/10/10, that's awesome. I just can't do that sort of thing, not just for the sake of it affecting my training negatively, but it's a diet that I simply couldn't adapt to unless I wanted to suffer considerably based on past experiments with going mostly raw. Great for those who can get by on it, but it isn't for me.

To anyone that might be impressed with that weight, would instantly dismiss it because it was done on a machine.

Even 300lbs free-weight is not that impressive for the average big guy with a couple of years training.

Is that the best example you have?

I would say a better example would be that same dude pushing 1x his bodyweight on a barbell bench press. He might not be able to do that, but he should work up to it. That way he could show that fruitarians at least don't have to be emaciated and near death, like most of them are...

LOL! 300 lbs on a machine is rather easy. Do it on a bench with a barbell and it is not even close

Is this post more of a joke? 300 lbs on any bench machine I have uses is really no big deal, plus this guy is going to hurt himself with that form. I would avoid machine and smith machine benching or shoulder work as it locks you into a path. Not good.