Recipe reviews from "Vegan with a Vengeance"

CrispyQ

Damn! I love this cookbook more with each recipe I make. I am now officially hooked on homemade pesto thanks to this book!

Last weekend I made the Tempeh Sausage Crumbles. It is not as authentic as GimmeLean's sausage, but it is very good & so much less processed! These could be used in so many ways. She suggests pizza & I'll bet that would be really good!

I then took the crumbles & made the White Bean & Tempeh Sausage Gravy. This stuff was lip smackin' good! Again, it is not quite as authentic as GimmeLean sausage gravy, but I find it to be a wonderful replacement for such a processed product.

On another board, a friend made these two items & served to her meat eating boyfriend. Before tasting it he teased her saying, "You've got to be kidding me -- sausage tempeh?" He's asked her to make it two more times since!

I also made the Orange Glazed Beets. Other than the fact that I like my beets very soft & had to cook them forever (next time I'll use my pressure cooker) these were really good! I've eaten them as a side & also sliced a few up in salad. Very nice!

Today I'm going to make the pesto & the tofu ricotta. I'm going to mix them together & add some cooked pasta to it, put in a casserole dish, top with spaghetti sauce & bake. I will let you know how it turns out. Sort of a lasagna casserole.

If you don't have this cookbook, I highly recommend it.

• 4 months later...

I really like the Asparagus and Sun Dried Tomato Frittata. I also made the Cherry Almond Muffins. They were good, but not spectacular. I cheated a little on the recipe though. I used dried cherries instead of fresh ones because they were out of season. I also think that it might be good to try my hand at it at least one more time. It often takes me at least one trial run before I get a recipe just right.

I love the Jerk Seitan. Yum, yum, yum! I just now finished some jerk tofu*, also really good.

Her scrambled tofu recipe is really good.

I downloaded a curried split pea soup* that was delish and am now making french lentil soup with tarragon and thyme*.

I love just about every baked good recipe she ever develops (unfortunately). Chocolate chip cookies, scones, brownies*, raspberry blondies, lemon gem cupcakes... If you ever want to demonstrate to someone how absolutely delicious vegan desserts can be, make one of her recipes.

Yes, I highly recommend the book. Also, check out the Post Punk Kitchen site for recipies. Look for recipes by Isa. (If you find one recipe by her then click her name it will show all the ones she contributed.)

(*this recipe is on the PPK website.)