"Stop Using Cavemen as an Excuse for Your Fad Diet"

Stop Using Cavemen as an Excuse for Your Fad Diet

Anthropologists have uncovered "unambiguous evidence" in South Africa that our Homo erectus grandpas were cooking their food as far back as one million years ago. Previous to this discovery, the earliest conclusive evidence of deliberate, human-controlled fires dated back only about 400,000 years. Now, I know what you're thinking: How do I know it wasn't just spontaneously-combusted bat guano?

Don't worry, they covered that. Take it away, science:

snip

On principle, I 100% do not care what anyone else eats. But I do care about judgmental condescension shrouded in pseudo-science—the idea that certain behaviors are "healthier" or "more natural" because "that's how the cavemen did it."

http://jezebel.com/5899319/stop-using-cavemen-as-an-excuse-for-your-fad-diet

• 4 weeks later...

hahahhahahahahah.......wait for it......haaahahahahahahahaha. Nicely put, I enjoyed your comments/argument very much. I still don't think the best way to help people change is to hate on them and what they are doing. I am trying to pursuade a couple of paleo diet friends to wisen up but telling them what they are doing is wrong isnt the way I dont think. Even when you are smart like you are and make an excellent point. A lot of people are losing a lot of weight and getting much more fit off the paleo diet and a good exercise plan. Noh personally I think the paleo diet is total crap. However I am for positive change even if its even a little. If the paleo diet is helping people to add whole foods, fruits and vegetables to their diets and cut out sugars and empty carbs then that's something right? My carnivore dad has agreed to do once a week vegetarian and I am super excited at that because I never thought in a million years he would even do that.

Again though, excellent post. I am totally in agreement with every that you wrote.

-Dylan

So, how does one go about changing the minds of the stubborn...? Through my experience, people tend to follow the so called truth no matter where they hear it, even if its not true. The paleo diet sales pitch is based on hundreds of thousands of years of research, evolution, natural selection. Was the paleo diet created to boost meat sales? I've recently come accross a local naturopath that follows a paleo way of life, I just about flipped out when I say this. Teaching other people to eat more meat and no legumes...! I've also uncovered a local farm that was apparently organic("natural" they call it), their beef is well known in these parts as well their potatoes. Turns out they use chemicals in everything! I'm so freakin' sick of this! How do I tell my friends, my parents, my family that they are completely manipulated...?

I am new to the world of figuring out the food industry, but so far it seems to be pretty blatant. Is going to come down to manipulating them back from the dark side..?

All very valid points. Its a scary world out there for food consumption and even if we are eating vegan "organic" foods we still may be, and likely are ingesting harmful chemicals. The good thing is that we are doing it at a much lower level because of our choices. The human body is very resilient. As a kid my friends and I basically lived off of candy and potato chips for years. I was totally fine and hardly ever got sick. Just saying it doesn't no good to take a everything is messed up attitude, I've totally been there and done that a million times. We can can do to "Change the minds of the stubborn" is lead by example and spread the word to those that are willing to listen.

hahahhahahahahah.......wait for it......haaahahahahahahahaha. Nicely put, I enjoyed your comments/argument very much.

Thank you.

I still don't think the best way to help people change is to hate on them and what they are doing.

I don't think telling the truth that other people don't want to hear is "hate". I think calling that "hating on them" emotionally manipulative. It communicates the message

"Don't have a public discussion that will expose me to things I don't want to hear OR I will label you as a bad person to discourage you from doing that"

I'm not saying what that is what you are are doing, I am speaking about that phrase in general.

I agree with you that ridiculing someone isn't the way to persuade them to do something differently.

My own approach is to write the truth, plainly, so there is no mistake about my opinion. I believe it always has a positive effect, on someone, somewhere, if not now than down the road.

If people go around saying things that are patently untrue, in a very public, in a very vociferous way other people are going to something about it. It will lead to public debate and public ridicule/venting of frustration........hence the quote from the Jezebel article.

I agree with you. In a forum scenario such as this your post was/is amazing. I guess my point was if people take this info and relay it to others directly that they are trying to persuade than it is best to go about it in a less "you are wrong" sort of tactic if they want those people to be receptive of the information.

I agree with you. In a forum scenario such as this your post was/is amazing. I guess my point was if people take this info and relay it to others directly that they are trying to persuade than it is best to go about it in a less "you are wrong" sort of tactic if they want those people to be receptive of the information.

I agree with you if you are talking people being condescending or ridiculing to others. People don't listen when they are being dissed.

I disagree that people shouldn't be told the truth when they are mistaken. They can't change if they don't hear the right information.