Vegan Ultrarunner Scott Jurek

Mini Forklift

I always laugh when meat heads tell me they are not into distance running because it eats muscle mass, especially when I look at guys like him where distance running is not 5 miles, or even 10, but 50+.

Guys like this support my resolve that humans are built to run. Studying the femurs of human ancestors they find thick ridges along the bone spur that are found today in modern marathoners, I am talking people that run 10+ miles every other day.

It's pretty amazing you can adapt to run so far though. Once lactic acid starts it's course I peter out pretty quick.

I always laugh when meat heads tell me they are not into distance running because it eats muscle mass, especially when I look at guys like him where distance running is not 5 miles, or even 10, but 50+.

Wouldn't this video tend to support them, though? He's pretty scrawny. Incredibly fit, yes, but small.

Wouldn't this video tend to support them, though? He's pretty scrawny. Incredibly fit, yes, but small.

Well my point was what most people classify as long distance running is not really distance running compared to distances covered by people like him, and you have to run A LOT in order to get that thin. And I'm willing to bet if that guy ate a lot more he would still have some muscle mass to show for it.

-Kyle

Well my point was what most people classify as long distance running is not really distance running compared to distances covered by people like him, and you have to run A LOT in order to get that thin. And I'm willing to bet if that guy ate a lot more he would still have some muscle mass to show for it.

-Kyle

Why make gaining muscle any harder by running! You're obviously not a hard gainer!

Oh, I bet. But he's also a freak.

Scott's main point in his podcasts seems to be that since turning vegan he has noticed improved muscular recovery from training and a more optimal bodyfat-muscle ratio.

So, with the insane amount of miles he runs I am of the opinion that by consuming a vegan diet that is not lacking in key minerals and nutrients is perfectly fine for both preserving and building muscle. According to Scott, as well as the running he regularly does different forms of cross training, yoga and weight training; the fact that he is an ultrarunner is always going to group him as an ectomorph, however I'd be willing to bet if he stopped running, hit the gym hard and kept his diet unchanged he'd bulk up pretty good ?!

• 2 months later...
He already eats 6,000 calories a day. It would be stupid for him to get bigger. His body has adapted to ultrarunning just like bodybuilders bodies have adapted to weightlifting.

+1

Anyone read his book that just came out? I have it on my Kindle, and it's awesome.