LET'S TALK ABOUT OUR PETS

HI all,

Let us start a string that talks about our pets, past and present. I'll start.

I have two cats, Riley and Rambo. Riley was a shelter rescue, and Rammy (aka rambo) was a stray. He was so tiny and it was a frigid winter day. He came to my window because he liked Riley and wanted to play with him through the window. He was hard to catch as are most strays. I finally caught him and took him in. He wreaked of fish and had lots of worms in his stomach, poor little guy. But I took him to the vet, got him all fixed up nice nice, and brought him home to begin his life of luxury. Riley was not happy about this at first - he hissed at Rambo for the first few days any time Rambo got near him to play. But now they are the best of buddies and 2 highly spoiled cats. Riley is a red head cat (i.e. orange) he looks like Garfield - I should have named him Garfield. Rambo is a grey and white tabby cat. He is a sweetie but is still very scared of strangers. Doesn't like to be held much either, not even by me.

Riley on the other hand is a total lap cat. he will climb on my back or my chest when I am sleeping and just crash. Sometimes I will wake up because of a failure to breath!!! - His big fat belly would literally be smothering my face.

Wouldn't trade either one for the world. I think animals can sense when they are truly safe and loved.

Anybody else want to talk about their pets?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have six dogs, an English staffy called "Jed" who is my fave jogging partner; "Clyde" (sadly Bonnie had to be put down), an Australian Pit Bull terrier who is slowly coming to terms with jogging; Jess, a Lurcher -"Daddies' girl; Ned & Kelly- Patterdale terriers (or should I say terrors), and our newest edition is Odie (my daughter named him after the cartoon character) he's a young whippet. The we have "tiger" our bullcat, our 2 goat Michelle & Marita (named after our daughters) and hand reared from bottles, our rooster :foghron leghorn", and our 7 chickens-only 2 named "funky chook" "freaky chhok".

Apart from that an absolute array of wild animald. Wild deer that stripped my fruit from its trees (at bud), wild wallabies that ate all my cherries, rabbits, foxes, cuckatoos, kookaburras, kangaroos, and no, they don't actually carry our mail in their pouches

Savebade,

That is so cool. I would love to live on land surrounded by all kinds of animals and have lots of dogs and cats.

Wow, between your husband, kids, pets, and wild visiting guests, you home must be full of life and love and compassion. Just my type of world.

That comment about your dog "just coming to terms with your jogging" is hilarious.

College B, I don't feed my cats vegan food. I tried that but they would NOT go near the stuff , and it would obviously be cruel to let them start starving to death. But if you can offer me any tips on how to get your animals to LIKE and EAT vegan pet food, I am all ears. Do you have any pets of your own? You never mentioned any.

I don't feed my animals vegan food either. the reason being is they were meant to be carnivores, hence the shorter intestine and also their canines. Our dogs/cats/gaots are fed organically though, and supplemented with EFA's, dolomite, sulphur, seaweed meal, and apple cider vinegar. the dogs are also fed any of my left over vegan meals, and once a week they are fed oats with water and fruit.(too much fibre can actually cause deficiencies in animals so we are very careful what they eat). Of course the goats are only fed on vegan elements.Cat will have none of it though!!!

• 5 months later...

I have 5 cats. Two were strays (one--Scooter--I took in as a kitten who was hanging around the neighbor of a friend of mine, who couldn't take him, even though his 5 kids wanted him, the other --Simon--I met on the town square on graduation day. he had a flea collar on, but was just roamiing around. When he followed me across the street without looking for traffic--none, since it was graduation day--I tried for a half hour to find a person who belonged to him and only found someone who had seen him the night before when he was begging to get into the building they were remodeling. I took him home and put a "found cat" ad in the paper, but no one replied (luckily!).

The other three are all from my local shelter, where I volunteer.

Bobsie is a bobtail grey and tan tortie who was previously adopted by a Dr. of some sort, who adopted her and another bobtail. Then dropped them at a different shelter two weeks later saying they were "feral" (a-hole!). The shelter called the folks at my shelter (where she was originally adopted from) because they were full and would have to euthanize her, and someone went down to pick her up! NOT feral at all. A very affectionate cat who just doesn't like being picked up, but who is "little momma" to both Simon and Scooter and washes them every morning. I met her after I started volunteeriing (which was a few months before the cat love of my life, Frisco, diet of kidney failure).

Mandy was a shelter return. She was in the shelter for about 8 months, and was cat room "high jump champion" with lazer light tag! She was finally adopted by someone who supposedly "fell in love" with her. Then brought her back 3 months later, declawed, because she was moving (pretty conditional love there, isn't it?).

Rascal is a HUGE tabby cat, who is also from the shelter. He was a scardy cat, and wounldn't come down off the tops of some cat cages (in the cat room to hold the yet-to-be neutered and spayed cats) except for me, after he got to know me. He's a very gentle boy, despite his size, but was considered unadoptable because he was scared of everyone (except me), so he was on the 'to be euthanized" list. Not even a year old. Healthy. Sweet. I couldn't let him be killed just because he was a scaredy.

And, no , none of my cats are vegan. I tried a vegan diet with one of my cats years ago, and she hated it, and soon got a urinary blockage (which seems to be quite common with female cates who try vegan diest, according to one vegan cat food company that advises feeding cats at least some meat). I'm trying to find a better source of food than the regular Science Diet stuff, but haven't looked into it enough yet. I have two trouble cats (Scooter has diabetes and needs daily shots and Mandy has bad kidneys and needs sub-Q fluids three times a week).

I sometimes feel very conflicted, being 100% vegan in other ways, but feediing dead carcasses to my cats. But they are my family, and cats actually brought me to veganism in their way. I'm glad to see I'm not the only conflicted vegan (I once read a book by Victoria Moran, whose transition from vegetarian to vegan came about the same time as mine. She wrote about unpacking her grocery bag and what was in it...all vegan foods...except for the cat food!)

Dogs would be easier because they can go veggie pretty easily. Unfortunately, I'm just not a dog person.

This is my mum's cat. I live with my parents so I live with the cat also, but it's technically not my pet. She was stray and had hair missing etc when she got to her previous 'owner', and she was still a bit ropey when we inherited her, but now she is fine. She is very soppy and wants attention all the time, we don't know how old she is. She likes to kick you out of your chair and steal it. Sometimes she dribbles on you when she is happy. She bit me a couple of times, that was funny. She wasn't pissed, she was just out of control when I was playing with her one time.

http://www.godfist.com/missy4.jpg

Richard -- "it" is NOT an "it". She is SSSSOOOOOO cute. Thanks for posting. What is the cat's name???

Kathryn, wow - thanks for so much detail. I LOVE hearing about happy animal stories. YOU have saved so many animals from death - through your veganism, your adoption from shelters, etc. You rock!

Kathryn, since you love cats, you simply must check out the thread called "22 year old bad ass Charlie" in General discussion. It is an older thread. Bad ass Charlie is CrispyQ's ancinet cat that is so bad ass that he plans on outliving everybody!!!!!

Ya -- people who adopt cats - declaw or should I say MUTILATE them, and then return them to a shelter If it was up to me, I would declaw those people in turn - see how they like it.

This is my mum's cat. I live with my parents so I live with the cat also, but it's technically not my pet. She was stray and had hair missing etc when she got to her previous 'owner', and she was still a bit ropey when we inherited her, but now she is fine. She is very soppy and wants attention all the time, we don't know how old she is. She likes to kick you out of your chair and steal it. Sometimes she dribbles on you when she is happy. She bit me a couple of times, that was funny. She wasn't pissed, she was just out of control when I was playing with her one time.

http://www.godfist.com/missy4.jpg

Dont get miffed Richard -- the wink after the comment was meant to suggest I was just hasslin ya in a joking way. I am guilty of slipping up occasionally and refering to animals as its sometimes too. Funny though how I never slip up and call humans "its" even though sometimes they really act like "its".

that is a hilariously cute name

I have a dog named Skeletor. He's a black lab-mix mutt from the county shelter. He's a pretty good natured guy. He lives in my backyard and he likes to dig holes. Sometimes when it's too cold or hot out I make him come inside though.

Will, does he prefer the outdoors and not like living with you guys inside?

Edit: Will, I take this question back. It is a dumb question to ask a compassionate vegan. Of course if he prefered to come in he would be in. Please ignore.

I have a dog named Skeletor. He's a black lab-mix mutt from the county shelter. He's a pretty good natured guy. He lives in my backyard and he likes to dig holes. Sometimes when it's too cold or hot out I make him come inside though.

Will, does he prefer the outdoors and not like living with you guys inside?

Yeah he likes being outside better. We used to live in an apartment and he was pretty moody when he was stuck inside all day. Our yard is a pretty good size now though so he has lots of space to roll around in the dirt and he seems to be happier. Plus me and my son go out there almost every afternoon and throw sticks and rocks and he gets excited and goes to fetch them

I am happy that he is happy. I am sure you give him lots of love and attention, unconditionally.

It reminds me of other dogs who dont have it as good as Skeletor. Chained to something in the backyard, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather extremes. Never walked, never shown love or attention or stimulation. Bored, sad, lonely and cold. Craving human contact and affection, but never receiving it other than an occasional pat on the head when the "owners" happen to be in the backyard for something, along with a "How ya doin boy". Maybe even not that much.

This is what I am sure the dog is thinking: "How the f%$k do you THINK i am doing???????"

Life at the end of a steel chain. how sad. WHy do people even keep animals if they plan on leaving them tied to a chain in the backyard forever????

i dont understand our species.

I walk dogs at the animal shelter, and I feel bad for them. It's good that the shelter exists, but it sucks for the dogs being in their confinement, and I find the idea of having the dog on a chain when walking them to be cruel / mentally strange. I understand the dogs need to be restrained and stuff, but I feel weird doing it, it feels very much that I am not treating the dog as equal. But I guess there isn't a better way to do it. The people who run the shelter tell me to pull the chain if the dog does anything bad, but I don't want to do that.

I am a dog person (allergic to cats).

This is Tyler, originally from a shelter than was with a family who filled for bankruptcy and had to move away to a place they couldn’t have pets. He was bound for the shelter again when I intercepted him. He has had 2 years of dog training (and graduated) prior to me having him. He is simply one of the best dogs I have ever had the pleasure of welcoming into my family.

Tyler at my store, he is the official greeter:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/TYLER1.jpg

Worn out after play, Tyler with my daughter Savannah:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/TYLER2.jpg

Tyler the pampered pup on his own bed at home:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/TYLER3.jpg

Worn out again at store, with my daughters Savannah & Katherine:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/TYLER4.jpg

"Pet me please, I am so pitiful." Tyler at home:

http://www.denisenicole.com/images/TYLER5.jpg

I love this thread with all these sweet animal pics and stories.

The pic of tyler and savannah and katherine is precious. in that pic, i suspect this is what he is thinking:

" too tired to care right now. sorry."

hey seasiren by the way i love the name "savannah". very exotic - i love exotic. an she has the dark hair to match the name.

It reminds me of other dogs who dont have it as good as Skeletor. Chained to something in the backyard, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, in all weather extremes. Never walked, never shown love or attention or stimulation. Bored, sad, lonely and cold. Craving human contact and affection, but never receiving it other than an occasional pat on the head when the "owners" happen to be in the backyard for something, along with a "How ya doin boy". Maybe even not that much.

When I first moved into my house, there was a dog just like this next door. Black lab. Chained. I never saw anyone go out to spend time with him, nor take him for a walk. I finally got up the gumption to ask the neighbor if I could take the dog for walks (and, miind you, I'm NOT a dog person!). We would walk almost every day. And when I came home, he would see me and start to wag his tail like he was going to wag it off! I ended up recruiting a "dog-person" friend of mine to take him for walks as well. We also took him food and water, because his person sometimes "forgot"(SOB!).

My other neighbors said that the a-hole got the dog as a puppy for his kids, and after the dog., Bear, grew up and the guy got divorced and the kids moved out (or maybe even before) Bear was relegated to the back yard on the chain. After I shared that with my dog-person friend, she approached the guy and asked if she could adopt 'his' dog (I only saw him interact with the dog once, when brought a date home, and the went out to pat him on the head and give him a bone. Guess the guy wanted to impress his date with how nice he was? ...have I already mentioned I think the guy was an a-hole?)

Bear spent about a month or so with my friend, but then tried to bite her niece when she touched his back end (he was in pain, probably from being outside most of his life). My friend decided to euthanize him because he couldn't be trusted around people (if it were just her, she would have taken the risk), but it was hard for her. She'd hoped to give him a happy life (and she did, for what was left of it).

I also hate it when people keep "their" cats outside. Even in the winter. As if a cat's coat is really enough protection from 20-degree below zero weather. Hey, you've got a nice warm parka, right? How about you soend 24/7 outside all the time, with maybe a porch to crawl under when it gets really cold?

Edit: Will, I take this question back. It is a dumb question to ask a compassionate vegan. Of course if he prefered to come in he would be in. Please ignore.

It's not dumb because most dogs want to spend time with their pack, family, etc, and don't like being alone. He's no different. He likes being with us, I just think he wishes me and my wife and son lived outside rather than him having to live inside. Plus, he loves dirt

I've probably posted pics of these two elsewhere on the site, but I love to show them off, so here are some more

This is Cava, my shelter kitty. I fell in love with her the moment I saw her. She was wide alert in her shelter cage, and the moment I walked in she made eye contact and just kept watching me....it was like she KNEW I'd be the one to take her home. I don't know too much about her life before me. She was brought in as a stray with her litter of kittens, all of whom died I believe. She's somewhere around 2 years old I'm guessing. She's a little shy, but once she warms up to you she will demand your attention. Even gives (gentle) nips if she feels neglected!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/veggymeggy/iChatImageHBr.jpg

This is Queso, my first kitty. She is MY kitty in everyway. She follows me like a shadow, greets me at the door when I come home, and hops in my lap everytime I sit down. She's become slightly less dependant now that we've been living in the same place for awhile again (we were quite transient this last year), but still clingy and lovey. The pair of them hate closed doors! Cava has figured out how to open a lot of doors around here, but if they can't get it open, they'll just sit outside and paw at it until someone lets them in.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a209/veggymeggy/101_0153.jpg

I also hate it when people keep "their" cats outside. Even in the winter. As if a cat's coat is really enough protection from 20-degree below zero weather. Hey, you've got a nice warm parka, right? How about you soend 24/7 outside all the time, with maybe a porch to crawl under when it gets really cold?

I agree that people should not keep the animals in their lives outside. I also believe that when it's really cold outside, people should put a jacket, sweater or something on "their" dog. After all, if you need a hat even with the hair on your head, why do they think that dogs, who only have hair as well, wouldn't need a covering ? They are just as used to living indoors out of the cold as people are and need additional warmth outside.

BTW, it's great that you cared enough to help Bear, as so many people don't understand or look the other way.