Hello from Derby

James

Hi all

Been lurking around this site for ages so I thought it was about time I joined up.

I'm from Derby, a small city in central England. I've been training for a couple of years now; vegan almost 10 years. Currently weighing in at 225 pounds (recently finished bulking so need to shift a little lard over the next few months!) & was around 160 when I went vegan.

I guess my training is geared more towards strength than bodybuilding. I don't train in true powerlifting style due to a back/hip problem, but do my best.

Welcome James. You are a big strong guy!

Great to have you here. As you know, we have more than just bodybuilders here, in fact, we only have a few bodybuilders in the group.

We have some powerlifting/strength sections as well and we'd love to hear more from you.

Welcome aboard!

-Robert

Welcome James

Actually, though I'm one of the few bodybuilders refers to, my training is also very strength oriented - i'm just to weak and skinny to compete in strength contests, so i make the best of my skinny self and put on some tan and hop on stage

Great to have you here!

Peace,

Daywalker

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome.

I guess I am rather big now; I come from a 'big' family so putting on weight is quite easy for me! I'm still a bit of a runt compared to my cousins (a couple of whom played pro rugby) so I'll keep training and eating hard.

'Ello James.

Ofence74, perhaps I'm missing something here, but I'm not sure how a picture of kinder eggs and toys can 'help' CG to stop playing around with smileys???

Personally I think she's just being lazy - using emoticons too much in place of words..........

Welcome, James!

Currently weighing in at 225 pounds (recently finished bulking so need to shift a little lard over the next few months!) & was around 160 when I went vegan.

That's quite encouraging. My normal lean weight should be around 170lbs, and now I'm at 175. Your example is very motivating. Even average sized guys like us can get huge, it seems. Can you share your strategy (frequency of workouts and meals, supplements?) I guess genetics would also have an impact. Did this growth from 160 to 225 mostly occur over the last two years?

welcome james - sorry that I missed this thread!

Im also from Derby, though I havent lived there for 1 1/2 years now. I wonder if I met you when I was there - Im 6foot 8 so you would probably remember me.

Massive weight gain there mate - I have gained a similar amount over the last 2.5years.

Did I meet you at Lancaster sports centre at Christmas or I am thinking of someone else?

Jonathan

Welcome, James!

Currently weighing in at 225 pounds (recently finished bulking so need to shift a little lard over the next few months!) & was around 160 when I went vegan.

That's quite encouraging. My normal lean weight should be around 170lbs, and now I'm at 175. Your example is very motivating. Even average sized guys like us can get huge, it seems. Can you share your strategy (frequency of workouts and meals, supplements?) I guess genetics would also have an impact. Did this growth from 160 to 225 mostly occur over the last two years?

Hi Animal

According to body mass index my lean weight should also be around 175, so I'm well over that! I think part of the reason I've added so much weight is due to a natural 'filling out' process in my early twenties. When I first went vegan I was only 19 and playing a lot of hockey, hence pretty skinny. When I 'retired' from hockey my weight went up to around 200 but this was purely me filling out and being a lazy fat git.

When I started working out 3/4 years ago I shifted all the flab and went back down to around 175; in the last couple of years I've built back up to 225 through heavy weights and eating properly. I'm certainly carrying extra poundage around the gut but I've added plenty of muscle too.

Bascially I work out 3 times a week. Monday is legs (squats, stiff leg deadlift & other assistance stuff), Wednesday is pull (deadlift, chins, rows, bicep work), Friday is push (bench, overhead press, dips, tricep work). My goals are strength and size, rather than getting cut/ripped, so I stick to a 5x5 routine on everything except the deadlift (usually just heavy singles). I'm restricted slighty by a dodgy back & hip (combination of hockey injury & 'ossification' of the hip), so although I use a powerlifting-style routine I'm nowhere near being a proper powerlifter.

I'm pretty careful about my diet so I try to avoid refined & processed crap as much as possible (not always possible given that my wife is not vegan and not particularly into healthy eating!). I eat lots of tofu, beans, nuts, lentils, wholewheat bread & pasta, brown rice etc. I supplement with pea protein shakes twice a day (always have a shake with some dextrose straight after a workout) and also use creatine sometimes.

Im also from Derby, though I havent lived there for 1 1/2 years now. I wonder if I met you when I was there - Im 6foot 8 so you would probably remember me.

Massive weight gain there mate - I have gained a similar amount over the last 2.5years.

Did I meet you at Lancaster sports centre at Christmas or I am thinking of someone else?

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Don't think we've met. I've never been to Lancaster sports centre as far as I can remember.

I post over on veganfitness as 'xJimx', where we have corresponded in the past. I'm the guy who works out at the Virgin disco!

Thanx for the detailed response, James.

I'm following a similar regime, although I often skip the leg workouts due to lack of time (I have naturally strong legs, so I am more concerned about upper body strength).

One thing that annoys me is that I can lift heavier weights than some guys I know who look bigger. Maybe its a byproduct of veganism, but I get more strength increases than visible muscle size.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

Don't think we've met. I've never been to Lancaster sports centre as far as I can remember.

I post over on veganfitness as 'xJimx', where we have corresponded in the past. I'm the guy who works out at the Virgin disco!

Oh aye - good to see you over here Jim. You confused me for a second with the different name

Its just that I went to lancaster sports centre at christmas and met this big strong vegan (benching 95kg for 10reps, albeit to within a couple of inches of his chest) and he said he would sign up to veganfitness or veganbodybuilding. Havent heard from him since

Jonathan

• 2 weeks later...

Jonathan

6 foot 8. Wow.

Welcome James.

I'm also James from England.

Enjoy the forum.