Cremation or burried?

compassionategirl

I saw a news item about a service that allows you too be buried in some guys plot of land for about $200

it was left to him by his mother who was heavily into organic/natural stuff

so they decided to create an organic buriel service

you dig the hole yourself though

I would like that done so I could become apart of the earth!

cremation is actually pretty bad for the environment if you think about it. burning anything is going to cause pollution, plus the ovens used for cremation are superheated to something like 1200degrees centigrade.

im going to be buried. in a very long cardboard box. and then im going to get people to plant a tree on me, preferably a giant sequoia.

jonathan

Either way I don't want to be in a casket (Unless by the end of my life they figure out a way to raise the dead. ). All kidding aside though, to be a part of the Earth, like Bigbwi (I think this is what he was talking about), I want to be wrapped in a bio-degradable cloth and buried so that I degrade and become nutrition for the soil.

Cremation: cemetaries are a waste of space, IMO. And people are going to keep on dying, so unless we do like they do in some European cemetaries, and dig up the bones after a certain number of years and put them in an ossuary until they become dust/fertilizer, they will keep on taking more and more space (usually from wild animals).

I just want my ashes mixed in with some garden soil and used to plant flowers for birds and butterflies.

cremation is actually pretty bad for the environment if you think about it. burning anything is going to cause pollution, plus the ovens used for cremation are superheated to something like 1200degrees centigrade.

im going to be buried. in a very long cardboard box. and then im going to get people to plant a tree on me, preferably a giant sequoia.

jonathan

Yes. I agree.

I actually looked into this a couple years ago. There are a few alternatives which are -- up to now, anyway -- environmentally more sound.

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I put the list If I find it, I'll post them; they were pretty great.

Considering that the environment is my main concern regarding the disposal of my remains, I want to choose the best option.

If I *had* to be cremated, I'd choose something like the Eternal Reef Balls which would be an oceanic option.

If I *had* to be buried, I'd probably choose a bio-degradable coffin, like jonathan suggested and have a tree planted where a headstone would normally be taking up space.

they will keep on taking more and more space (usually from wild animals).

hey kathyrn, yes, I was thinking the same thing - land being taken away from wild animals. But if cremation is not environmentally sound, it seems that this may be another instance where animal rights and environmentalism actually clash rather than converge?

I would love to hear more thoughts on this, especially from the vegan environmentalists.

Is cremation vegan friendly but not environmentally friendly? Is burrial environmentally friendly but not animal friendly?

I agree, Nat, this is a very interesting issue. Also, what is with preserving the body before burial -- that seems so damned morbid to me. Don't Jewish people bury their dead in a box with holes drilled into it & no preservation so the body will decompose more quickly? That seems so much more natural to me than embalming.

I will say, old grave yards are some cool places to walk through. The tombstones, the dates, the names. I like them.

Environmentally the best thing is to just have your body tossed out in the woods and left for the wolves and the worms

I'd like to be composted.

Or, they can make me into soylent green, and meat eaters can get their jolies! (I read a short sci fi story once about a future society where meat eaters ate dead vegetarians--because the vegetarians were an unpolluted source of meat, and maybe all the animals had been killed off? Don't remember the specifics. Though I would think that by the time some veggies die--like Scott Nearing or Norman Walker at 100+ years--they would be a bit gristly!).

Yeah being frozen for the future sounds good possibly, but might suck in practice, who knows. It's all pretty grim to think about. being put in some massive underground tomb might be cool. People in future find your body with all kinds of crap around you that they don't understand, like the egyptian tombs.