Less weights = just as good? Really?

The only time I break my vow of silence around people with bad form is when it's some young teen-aged boy working out all alone. You know the type: he's lookin' a little scared, not really sure of what he's doing or even why he's there, skinny and pasty as all hell and desperate to look like the Hulk by next Monday. I usually wait for him to finish a shaky set, then lean in and ask him softly, "Wanna see a trick I learned from a bodybuilder friend of mine? It'll make those a lot easier." He's usually grateful and eager to learn. I've had a couple of them even follow me around and ply me for more information, which I'm very happy to give. Women are also ready to learn. It's usually only the ego-fragile adult males who shrug off any help so I just keep my trap shut around them and try not to laugh when I watch their interpretation of dumbbell curls. Are they called dumbbell curls because of the weights or the people mangling them?

Sometimes I can't resist interfering. Just yesterday, I watched a trio of twenty-something testosterones attempt to leave the weight room without unloading the sled when they were done with it. I pretended to be helpless and asked if they would remove the plates but it was just in order to get them to put their weights back. They didn't need to know I usually use twice the weight they had on there.

Baby Herc

The only time I break my vow of silence around people with bad form is when it's some young teen-aged boy working out all alone. You know the type: he's lookin' a little scared, not really sure of what he's doing or even why he's there, skinny and pasty as all hell and desperate to look like the Hulk by next Monday. I usually wait for him to finish a shaky set, then lean in and ask him softly, "Wanna see a trick I learned from a bodybuilder friend of mine? It'll make those a lot easier." He's usually grateful and eager to learn. I've had a couple of them even follow me around and ply me for more information, which I'm very happy to give. Women are also ready to learn. It's usually only the ego-fragile adult males who shrug off any help so I just keep my trap shut around them and try not to laugh when I watch their interpretation of dumbbell curls. Are they called dumbbell curls because of the weights or the people mangling them?

Sometimes I can't resist interfering. Just yesterday, I watched a trio of twenty-something testosterones attempt to leave the weight room without unloading the sled when they were done with it. I pretended to be helpless and asked if they would remove the plates but it was just in order to get them to put their weights back. They didn't need to know I usually use twice the weight they had on there.

Baby Herc

Funny thing that, the gym I go to is pretty strict about putting weights back and people messing with stuff they aren't supposed to. I have seen one or two twenty young something hit the weights like they were the next big thing to come into body building though they always seem to remain skinny as hell and flex the muscles they don't have.

I don't lift much on the deadlift (my best lift) but I can get to just under 200lbs if I really, really want to and it's fun watching them look depressed as the semi albino guy with glasses and a three foot pony tail lifts more than they can. You have to break or slightly fracture peoples attitudes some times

The high rep sets are great for cardio with some strength tossed in. Keep the rest to no more than 30 sec. (yes I time it). I do it with kettlebells. Dumbells will work too. For more intensity, increase the weight and / or decrease your rest time. Tonight I did two circuits of 6 excercises, 20 reps each, rest 20 sec. Then I finish with some ab work. I have problems with my hip so things like sprints are now out. Plus this beats boring treadmills.

Baby Herc

Two young teens asked me to show them how to squat recently, first thing I did was to take the fucking padding off the bar!!!!

Also yesterday another guy asked me to watch his squats, I advise him to stop using the padding & to take 30kg off the bar. Had him ATG after a few sets, he now is a believer in not forsaking depth for weight. He could hardly do the 100kg below parallel & said he'd been doing 130kg but nowhere near how much I had him working, it's pleasing when people listen.

take the fucking padding off the bar!!!!

Hey, don't judge, those things can be a lifesaver for many. After separating my shoulder last year in a bike accident and going through sundry other injuries to my shoulders, including stuff on the surface like cuts and bruises, using a foam roll on the bar can spell the difference between a decent workout and not being able to workout at all. A body building physical therapist introduced me to them. I've seen guys bleed from the cross hatch pattern of a brand new bar's knurling where it cut into their skin and actually left marks. I always use the pad, and I use gloves, too. I respect those that do and those that don't.

Baby Herc

Don't worry, I'm not trying to change your views, I respect your views. What you do is working for you and that's so great. I'm glad you're seeing results and that you're proud of your body. There's a lot of people out there who do it the way you do and they're seeing results, too, which is fantastic. I'm just steppin' up for those of us out there who do things a little differently but just as effectively for us. The world is full of options and thank goodness because otherwise we'd all be wearing the same underwear.

Baby Herc