Protein Question

I'm getting a little concerned over my protein and calorie intake and if I'm getting enough due to dietary issues. I eat a ton of raw fruit, veggies, nuts, hemp seeds etc. but I'm struggling to get ENOUGH calories in daily. Honestly, I'm not even quite sure how many I should be eating per day (I'm 5'1'', I'm at the gym 5-6 hours a week weight training and I'm currently under weight and can't really seem to gain. And when I do pig out for a few days, I seem to drop weight, I don't get it. That being said, I have either gained a lot of muscle, or, my body fat is so low it just looks that way, hahaha). My issue is that my super sensitive digestive system can't do beans, legumes and grains daily. It wreaks havoc on my system and I know they are calorically more dense that anything else I eat and provide more protein. So, my concern is both calorie intake AND protein intake. I do use a raw hemp protein powder occasionally to try to boost protein intake. I literally eat zillions of avocados, lots of coconut and other foods high in good fats/calories but I get full so fast that I'm pretty sure I'm not eating enough. Well, I'm obviously not getting enough calories, I'm struggling to gain weight.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Since you can't eat beans and you said you liked nuts/seeds, I would suggest more nuts/seeds/nut seeds butters.

I know you said you couldn't eat grains daily, but have you tried amaranth, quinoa, or millet which are actually seeds. And maybe spelt, although it is grain from wheat, so may not work for you.

Have you ever figured up the amount of calories and protein you take in on an average day?

If you eat a boat load of fruit, you will get plenty of protein. But now when I say that, I mean literally a boat load. lol

That being said I have to add, when you say grains, does this include oatmeal/barley, and corn/grits?

PS - I'm southern so grits are common here. They are basically ground up white corn you add water, heat up, and add salt to and enjoy with a side of slices tomatoes. MMMMMMM

I can do grains/beans a couple times a week with no problems. Quinoa I seem to be able to tolerate a little better, it's usually part of a meal a couple times a week as well. I do eat a fair amount of almonds and nut butters. I can't eat anything refined or processed, I get sick. I have a very fussy/sensitive/damaged digestive system.

Spelt, Kamut and similar grains are kind of hit and miss, but once in a while is fine. Grits (that's just cornmeal, right?) again, once in a while. Wheat is a definite no. Can't do it at all. I totally forgot about oatmeal. I have a huge bag of steel cut oats in my cupboard...

As far as the boat load of fruit. I know, hahaha. The problem is fruits and veggies fill me up REALLY fast and I feel like shit when I overeat, so I just stop. I more of a grazer and that seems to work for my system a lot better than 3 big meals a day.

I haven't ever figured out how many calories I eat in an average day. I'm guessing around 12-1500, maybe 2000 on the odd day here and there. It definitely does vary a bit, but I don't think it's enough. I've never been a calorie counter, so I really don't know. I'm female as well, I'm not sure if that makes a difference as far as advice.

I am not a calorie counter either, although I did about 6 weeks ago for couple weeks just out of curiosity. I don't think it is necessary unless you are training for something like a bodybuilding meet and you are trying to cut weight.

But in your case, it may not hurt to count the calories for a few days, just to see where you are at, then that way you can start adding calories and see what it takes to get you to start gaining the weight you want.

Try a protein shake now and then. They are calorie dense ... and you can throw in nut butter or avocado and/or flax for additional healthy fats. Not sure that will work (since they are extremely filling imo), but may be worth a shot.

1200-1500 is definitely not enough calories unless you are on a weight loss diet. You are working out too so you should probably be aiming for 1800-2000.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I think the protein shakes are probably the easiest way to sneak in more calories. I've also been eating spoonfuls of straight almond butter to try to up my caloric intake.

I'm definitely NOT trying to lose weight. I can barely break 100lbs. Here's to gaining a few pounds .