Visiting London / Bakewell Tarts

Katrina and I are going to be in London for a week at the end of the month, March 26 through April 2. We are making the trip to attend my brother's graduation.

At the beginning of the week, we'll be spending time with my family (my dad is flying over from NY and my other brother is traveling down from Manchester), but on the Thurs-Sat we'll be mostly on our own. If anyone would like to meet up for a meal or for working out or whatever, let me know!

That brings up a question. Is it generally possible to get a one-day pass into a gym? Would that be possible only if I were a guest of a member? I'll be missing 4 gym days on the trip and would love it if I could get in at least one workout.

Another question--I thought I saw somewhere that some store brand of Bakewell tarts is vegan. Anyone know if this is true? I used to love Bakewell tarts when I was younger and would love to have some if I could find a vegan version.

Richard, if you live close to where Liz will be, the two of you should meet up to hang out if your schedules will allow for it.

I hope to meet both of you in person someday but I won't be out in London anytime soon. I've been there twice and lived outside of London in Watford for nearly a month.

-Rob

I would be extremely surprised if you could find store-brand vegan Bakewell tarts anywhere; I've never seen any here in the UK.

Bakewell tarts are actually a recent invention; the real thing is called a Bakewell Pudding. Bakewell isn't far from where I live & I go there for work quite often; I can assure you that the puddings are definitely not vegan (full of eggs & dairy, even lard in some cases).

Ahr I have been unsuccessful in my quest for a vegan bakewell tart. There are several jam tarts and apple pies and things that are vegan that I found. It's soooooo possible to make a vegan bakewell tart, there is no reason for it to be non-vegan, but I haven't found one you can buy so far.

With regards to the gym, can you ask friends who live in the area to phone up local gyms and see what deals they have for 1 day memberships? Thaz what I'd do

Liz - I would meet you and Katrina, but I am overseas during that period.

Sohogyms do a day pass for about £10 I think. They are very good gyms - I train at the one in Camden. http://www.sohogyms.com/

Alternatively try Fitness First, LA Fitness or Holmes Place. Use this pass at two of Fitness Firsts' gyms - once in your name, once in Katrina's: http://www.fitnessfirst.co.uk/membership/freedaypass.asp

You could probbaly also blag a free session at LA Fitness or Holmes Place if you pretend you are interested in joining and are prepared to them giving their sales pitch and a little tour of the gym.

I'm a past master at getting free gym sessions.

Or some chains like Fitness Exchange will have promtions like £5 for 5 days. Just keep your eyes peeled when wondering around and check local papers.

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

For anyone who is interesed, I have been told that Tesco's has vegan bakewell tarts, which are in their "freefrom" special diet section. (Perhaps not every store has this section, I don't know.)

I'm sorry we're going to miss you, Tarz!

Yes that's right: Tesco has plenty of vegan stuff.

I'm not in my homeland either. I'll be back in Oxford next year so hopefully we can meet up. Have a great time : )

Yeah, by this time next year, we'll be living over there, so we'll have plenty of time to meet you and the other London area folks!

I look forward to catching up with you and Katrina next year then.

London is superb for vegans, as well as a great city generally. I know you'll have a fantastic time when you're over here at the end of the month.

I'm not in my homeland either. I'll be back in Oxford next year so hopefully we can meet up. Have a great time : )

Cool!

Yeah, we're really looking forward to the trip this month and to the eventual move. We'd do it sooner if we didn't have to wait until we have enough money saved up.