Navy Girl Wants Some Help!

Hey!!!

So i have just been accepted into the Navy and I need to perform a fitness test. For about 2 months I have been gradually working on my upper body strength. But I am going to recruit school a lot! sooner then I thought. so i need to improve my upper body strength a lot quicker especially when It comes to Push Ups. Does anyone have any advice? I try to do push ups every day but I find if I do them to often it starts to hurt and I can't do as many as I wanted to... I have my practice fitness test in a week!!!

Here's a pushup program I read about on another board. It seems to work!

"You find your 2 minute max number of pushups, multiply that be 4, and do that amount for 10 days. On odd days, you do them all at once, as fast as you can. On even days, you break them up throughout the day. After the 10 days, you rest for 3 days and test again (2 minute max)."

realistically...I doubt you can massively improve upper body strength in a week before the practice test...hopefully there is a bit more time before the real test? It took me many months... years even, to get my push ups, chin ups etc up to military standards (even though I have no intention of joining the military, air force, or navy, but I was curious what it was to be "army strong" and what the standards are....)

Be sure to rest a couple days before the tests...if the muscles are sore from the previous day or 2 of push ups etc it will drag performance down.

• 2 weeks later...

I know the military will probably stress quantity over quality, but it's worth noting to make sure you're still getting good depth and have good form with your pushups. Watch anybody in a gym performing pushups and about 80% are straight up butchering the exercise. Also those poor habits are hard to break. So it might not be a bad idea to drop down to your knees and work on the depth/quality as well.

There's an old military analogy that I use all the time for exercise form, where they say supposedly women are better at men in firing a rifle when trained properly. And this is supposed to mean that the while the men had years of shooting over the women they performed them incorrectly and thus had poorly ingrained movement pattern to break. This is very true with exercise and see it all the time. The people that can learn the best form are those with a clean slate.

• 1 month later...
Well My practice test went great I managed to do the recommended amount of push-ups without and issues yay! So i am off in October so I have plenty of time to continue increasing my fitness level and achieve a few goals : )

This is great! I'm sure you can increase fitness level to the desired point.. I wish you luck on that...