Help with nutrition! Too much fruit?

I've been trying to nail down a good nutrition plan. I had about a month and a half off from the gym and am trying to get back at it. I put on a little excess weight and have been trying to get back to where I was before. I've gotten sort of stuck where I am, needing to lose about 5 more lbs (currently about 135..5'4, female). In focusing on trying to lose weight, I really think I cut my calories too low....eating anywhere from 1,000-1,500. But even with that...I have still not been able to lose anymore. I read somewhere that fruit is just "nature's candy" and should be limited to only 2-4 servings a day. I would say I eat anywhere from 4-8 servings a day. Curious as to what everyone's opinion is on whether its possible to eat too much fruit. Here's basically what I eat everyday:

7:30 am

1 piece whole wheat toast (only 35 cal) w/ 1 TB of all natural crunchy PB (added this meal to help increase energy levels)

9:30 am

Smoothie made w/one frozen banana, scoop of Vega sport vanilla and 8-10 oz of unsweetened almond milk

11:30 am

1/3 cup quinoa flakes (like oatmeal), with cinnamon, and 1 apple

1:30 pm

protein shake - (either vega sport vanilla w/8 oz of unsweetened almond milk, vega sport berry w/water, or garden of life RAW protein w/water)

2-4 servings of fruit (2 oranges, or fresh berries/grapes/cherries)

3:30 pm

25 baby carrots

5:30 pm

protein shake (vega sport berry w/water, or garden of life RAW protein w/water) or Clif protein builder bar

1-2 servings of fruit

8 pm depending on how hungry I feel:

vega sport vanilla w/8 oz of unsweetened almond milk

or

box of westsoy seitan (equals 2.5 servings...300 cals, 52.5 some grams of protein) and a little bit of hummus

I'm trying to incorporate more veggies too...today for lunch i ate 1/2 box of upton seitan with a large salad (kale, spinach, mustard greens, carrots, tomato, cucumber..no dressing). I do 40 min of weights 4 days a week and 20-30 min of cardio 3-4 times per week (one day a week I ride my bike to the gym and back- 30 min each way). I will say its only been about a week or 2 that I feel like I haven't made progress. I realize thats not long, but the first week was great. Plus, I went on vacation back in March and put on about 5 lbs and didn't feel like it was as difficult as it is now. I put on about 10 lbs in my month and a half off, and as mentioned, only need to lose about 5 more. I want to do it right tho, not cutting calories too much (I felt like I was drained come end of day when I needed to hit the gym). I do want to also add...my goal is to build muscle too. When I say "lose weight" I really just mean shedding the excess fat. Just hoping I could get some feedback on my meal plan and comments about whether or not fruit should be limited.

Thanks in advance for comments!!

Some people here eat about 10 or 15 pieces of fruit every day I think. I personally eat around 3 bananas, 1 apple and some strawberries and grapes every day lately and in my personal opinion, you can probably eat up to 20 pieces of fruit every day, but that's just my opinion!! I think there are fruitarians (did I spell that right?) who eat way more then that.. and if I'm not mistaken.. Robert Cheeke himself eats 5 bananas for breakfast? nomnomnom! .. I love bananas and now I want some!

I'm really no expert, just sharing my opinion here, hope that's clear enough .. I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a proper answer on the calorie and losing weight part, I don't really know much about that yet ..

good luck <3 .. and I hope I didn't just say something completely untrue, but I'm 99% sure you're fine with the amount of fruit, unless it feels wrong ofcourse! follow your heart right? =D

I planted trees in season so that I no longer have to purchase fruit.

Plumbs in spring, figs in summer & apples/pears late summer/early fall - then can, dry or freeze

If you stop buying fruit from the Grocery store & only eat in season you wont have

as many problems.

Go seasonal & stop consuming fruit that is shipped tens of thousands of miles.

durianrider eats sometimes up to 70 bananas a day.Make sure you stay away from citruces.That thing will destroy your teeth.

One way to combat this is to rinse your mouth with water right away after eating citruses, it will reduce the acids in your mouth significantly.

To the OP, I think your calories are definitely too low. Your fruit intake shouldn't be a problem!

But if my calories were too low...shouldn't I be seeing the number on the scale drop?

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!!

Hmm.. lots of process food (sport powders, seitan) in the mix there. If you can tolerate them you should incorporate more lentils and beans (real food). Also based on this list you are missing good sources of healthy fats like nuts and avocados. Interestingly our bodies needs fat to lose fat (ie. hormone regulation). I don't think your fruit intake is out of line... but it is good you are trying to incorporate more veggies.

durianrider eats sometimes up to 70 bananas a day.Make sure you stay away from citruces.That thing will destroy your teeth.

One way to combat this is to rinse your mouth with water right away after eating citruses, it will reduce the acids in your mouth significantly.

that and using a straw.It will minimise the exposure of acids to the teeth.Pineapples are even worse tho.

@OP

You're doing great, IMHO. Incorporating more greens is the way to go!

Hmm.. lots of process food (sport powders, seitan) in the mix there. If you can tolerate them you should incorporate more lentils and beans (real food). Also based on this list you are missing good sources of healthy fats like nuts and avocados. Interestingly our bodies needs fat to lose fat (ie. hormone regulation). I don't think your fruit intake is out of line... but it is good you are trying to incorporate more veggies.

+1

One way to combat this s to rinse your mouth with water right away after eating citruses, it will reduce the acids in your mouth significantly.

that and using a straw.It will minimise the exposure of acids to the teeth.Pineapples are even worse tho.

Just a warning, don't follow everything durianrider says. He is a nut case that has officially become fat phobic and majorly deficient in healthy fats; oleic acid and omega 6's from nuts and avocados. Natural whole food vegetable fats are nothing like cooked fats and oils.

Ripe citrus fruits, pineapple and kiwis contain very little if any acids. The acids are there in the fruit to protect itself from being picked prematurely by animals(we are animals ) that don't follow their instincts. Follow your instincts.. does the fruit smell sweet?

Note: Oranges don't ripe once they have been picked. Squeeze the orange, if it feels like the skin is not attached to the inner membrane, its ripe.

I can eat boatloads of ripe pineapple.. so sweet!

To the OP, I think your calories are definitely too low. Your fruit intake shouldn't be a problem!

But if my calories were too low...shouldn't I be seeing the number on the scale drop?

I know plenty of people who under eat and are overweight. This is nothing new and is quite common. It's a vicious cycle and a big reason individuals give up on diet/exercise. Your body is an exceptional adapting machine and will regulate how it sees fit.

Not saying your not doing this, but continue to exercise hard and eat plenty of whole plant food calories to the point of feeling satisfied, then just keep this up. Eventually your body will realize you're serious in a sense, and begin sculpting the body your designing.

Yes and no. It sounds like you are pretty good about monitoring your food intake, but HOW good are you? Do you weigh your fruits when you count your calories, or do you just guess?

If you eat too low of an amount for a long time, you can kill your metabolism.

I consider myself pretty good about counting calories! I've done it for many years and am always very honest with what I eat...marking every almond and brazil nut! I really hate having to be so conscious about it. But these last few pounds have been such a pain!! I'm hoping my dedication in the gym will eventually pay off.

Thanks for the feedback!

I know plenty of people who under eat and are overweight. This is nothing new and is quite common. It's a vicious cycle and a big reason individuals give up on diet/exercise. Your body is an exceptional adapting machine and will regulate how it sees fit.

Not saying your not doing this, but continue to exercise hard and eat plenty of whole plant food calories to the point of feeling satisfied, then just keep this up. Eventually your body will realize you're serious in a sense, and begin sculpting the body your designing.

Yeah...I think I just need to continue to be regular at the gym. Like I mentioned in my initial post, I took too much time off and am paying for it! I am trying to not be extreme and cut too many calories (affects my attitude about going to the gym) and making sure I follow a specific weight and cardio program. Its just difficult being patient! Thanks for your help and advice. It's reassuring to hear that I just need to stick with it and eventually it will pay off.

@OP

You're doing great, IMHO. Incorporating more greens is the way to go!

+1

Thanks! The encouragement is needed and GREATLY appreciated! I've been eating a bowl of spinach, kale, collard greens, argula, and wheatgrass for supper every day this week...I'm pretty proud of myself

In addition, I started a different weight/cardio program this week...I was getting bored with my other routine and I think my body had adapted too much. I'm definitely feeling the hard work! Thanks again for the encouragement. I just really wanted to make sure I was on track and eating as much fruit as I am wasn't a bad thing.