The Smell of Meat

It's been nearly 2 weeks now since I made the choice to become a vegan. And I have found that the smell of beef turns my stomach now. I still find the smell of chicken appealing, but smelling the burgers being cooked at work grosses me out. ICK!

I think what really appeals to me about the smell of the grilled chicken is the spices that they put on there. I can't quite figure out what's on there but it's just a hint of spices that smells very good. Whatever it is, it would be great on sauteed tofu! There's some sort of peppery scent to it but not an overpowering one.

Hey, VG2006, I cooked some Boca chick'n patties in the micro at work & one of the employees from the back of the office searched me out to ask if I was eating fried chicken.

I think what really appeals to me about the smell of the grilled chicken is the spices that they put on there. I can't quite figure out what's on there but it's just a hint of spices that smells very good. Whatever it is, it would be great on sauteed tofu! There's some sort of peppery scent to it but not an overpowering one.

I'm reading the ingreds panel now & they list all the spices as "spice." Onion powder, black pepper & paprika get mentioned separately. I've tried one other chick patty & the Boca is better. Here is a recipe for vegan fried 'chicken' from VegWeb. A friend raves about this recipe & there are lots of online raves, too.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7534.0

Hey, VG2006, I cooked some Boca chick'n patties in the micro at work & one of the employees from the back of the office searched me out to ask if I was eating fried chicken.

I'm reading the ingreds panel now & they list all the spices as "spice." Onion powder, black pepper & paprika get mentioned separately. I've tried one other chick patty & the Boca is better. Here is a recipe for vegan fried 'chicken' from VegWeb. A friend raves about this recipe & there are lots of online raves, too.

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7534.0

Please also post in receipes section so that people dont miss out on it.

• 2 weeks later...

most meat smells do make me feel sick...but its so much worseif i can see the meat aswell...sometimes..when things as veggymeggy said smell f herbs and things like that i m not so grossed out...but ive always felt sick atthe thought of so much death around me when im around meat in a takeawy for example or a barbque with my family (my family are all omnis, and totally opposed to changing.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of it smells really bad to me, but just remember this, anyone who has said sometimes it might not smell bad and they get mad:

A lot of those good smells are just additives and other things like that. It's the additives and the chemicals and the spices that are geared towards smelling good, not the actual meat itself, I can't ever smell raw meat and think "Oooh, I'm hungry now."

• 2 weeks later...

Since becoming vegan its definately the worste smell imaginable...I would honestly smell skunk all day long. Whenever I smell it I see the "Meet Your Meat" video play in my head.

A lot of those good smells are just additives and other things like that. It's the additives and the chemicals and the spices that are geared towards smelling good, not the actual meat itself, I can't ever smell raw meat and think "Oooh, I'm hungry now."

Agreed. No matter how they try to cover or diffuse it, there is an underlying stench in & around the meat department.

Have you read Fast Food Nation? He has an entire chapter on smell of food. He visited a company that specializes in scent. They took him to a room, blindfolded him & then brought out various items for him to identify by scent only. He said he smelled the most tantalizing French fries, lucious strawberries, grilled burgers. When they took the blindfold off, in front of him were little strips of paper that had been scented with their product.

Thats really weird!!! Can't imagine that being tantilizing...even when I ate meat the smell never interested me...I don't think it bothered me but I definately wouldn't get lured by it. Strawberries are a different story though...I have this terrible sleeping disorder and John's Hopkins sleep center used to pay me to do these studies and they would see how certain scents affected my sleep...none of it worked on me but it was nice...all natural extracts...no gross stuff. The strawberries were my fav...the strawberries actually worked on a fair percentage of the patients...seems weird to me even though I did it for so long...boy it was good money!!!

• 1 month later...

Last night, these people had a pizza at work with extra pepperoni and it really nauseated me...the smell that is. I told someone I thought it smelled ing. Then I bought a cheeseless veggie pizza from Lil Caesar's and the kids wanted mine more thant the pepperoni one

I had to practically beat them to keep them away from it

I really agree with the holding your breath thing when passing meat,

and anything I would not put into my body, I do the same thing.

I always do that when I go shopping at New Seasons(local natural foods store), if I can't make it to the CO-OP(all veggie), because the produce is always near the meat, ugh! so annoying.

I can't believe people can look at raw meat and find it appetizing.

Recently I went to an organic restaraunt in Utah with my cousin and her

fiance', I hadn't eaten out with anyone that consumed meat in a VERY long time... years and years, let alone been to a restaraunt that wasn't all veg in the first place. Weird experience.

But my cousins fiance' had the meat loaf... and that stunk soooo bad...

oh my gosh.

Not to mention he recked the rest of the evening as well. nasty.

I too haven't been out too eat with people eating meat for probably close to 2 years. If my family takes goes out I don't go unless they go to a vegetarian place which they are normally always willing. As for eating at parties and stuff I can rarely eat anything at all when I'm around meat. It seems like whatever I eat tastes a little like meat when I'm around others eating it...which is weird because I would never leave food on a plate before(even my first 2yrs as a vegan) but a few times I've only been able to take a couple bites of food. Plus I'm no fun when meats around anyway...I'm a completely different person do to how uncomfortable it makes me. I'm willing to do it though since its an opportunity to speak about my diet.

I would not be able to prepare any animal products, the thought only makes me sick. I would get another job at all cost!

The smell of meat discusted me about 1-2 weeks after I went vegetarian and when I went vegan after the same period cheese and milk did the same.

The smell of a room when people are eating spaghettie with parmesan....my god...

• 4 weeks later...

Raw meat gags me, and chicken soup smells like urine, the smell of bacon (from a distance) still reminds me of my grandma (in a good way) im kind of ashamed to say that it doesnt bother me.. Cheese smells like nasty feet (yes i know what nasty feet smells like and its not from myself). If anything is seasoned well enough it doesnt bother me, bc i try to think of the seasonings instead, but meatloaf, hotdogs, and any other ground up yuck that people call food is NASTY. Hotdogs smell like (insert adjective for really really really putrid here) and they remind me of Germany when my family used to make me eat them. GACK.

I would not be able to prepare any animal products, the thought only makes me sick. I would get another job at all cost!

Guess what? I finally got a new job! I start a week from Wednesday! Hooray! No more Mcdonald's work for me! And no more dealing with the meat smell! YAY!

Good for u, good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

I've always had that inhalation thing too but for other stuff as well.

For me, it is the smell of raw meat that nauseates. I've been vegan about 12 years, I think, and cooked, meat-based dishes still smell good to me; but it's mostly the combination with vegetables and other aromatics -- meat doesn't have much of a smell of its own, and it's not "good" on its own. The combination of flavors is what allures. Vegan versions supply this; so there is no reason to be "deprived" of one's favorite tastes.

Asian dishes especially smell good.

The most ing smell has to be lamb.

When I see a piece of meat now, I don't see it like I used to (I always say to myself, "Was I blind?"); now I see it as a cut out piece of body with blood all over it. I even hate the word "meat" because it diminishes the reality of what it is.

It's purely psychological: Notice people who are revolted when looking at fleshy parts on television that aren't even that gross, but the idea that it's a human body part makes them squeamish Meanwhile, they are chomping on a chicken leg...

NOTHING could ever make me choose to eat an animal's body again

I feel so awful that I ever did