Seattle - Request for Vegan Friendly Suggestions

SeaWillow

My daughter and I are planning a trip to Seattle, WA this June (2006) to scout for possible relocation. She is interested in attending University of Washington (so am I!). The duration of our trip will probably be about one week.

Any suggestions for good (clean & economic, yeah, I want it all) hotels, restaurants and any suggested points of interests (even those to avoid) would be very much appreciated. Also, we'd also be interested in learning more about the real estate in the Seattle area (apartments, houses, condos, yurts)

All ideas appreciated,

Thanks!

Sea (aka Jean)

I love Seattle!

The university district is awesome! There are a lot of cool little shop on and around 45th, but the hotels in that area+ downtown cost a bit more. Seattle is full of vegetarian and vegan restaurants… there is a place on pike street (around fifth I think) called cyber dogs, I haven’t checked it out but I’ve been dieing to. http://www.vegguide.org/vendor/view.html?vendor_id=1174

If you want to do the whole tourist thing the space needle and experience music project are cool check out this web site for the city pass.

http://www.citypass.com/city/seattle.html

I’ve never done the harbor tour, but some times of the year there are orcas in the sound.

This link will answer many of your questions.

http://www.goveg.com/f-vegcities-seattle.asp

Also,

www.vegseattle.com is another great resource.

Here is some info from that first link on goveg.com

America's Best Vegetarian-Friendly Large Cities

#2 Seattle, Washington

The Emerald City shines once again in PETA's survey of the most vegetarian-friendly cities in North America. Seattle is such a hotbed of vegetarian goodness that it even has a Web site called VegSeattle.com. Because there are so many people there who are opting for a healthy vegetarian diet, it's no surprise that Seattle was named "America's Fittest City" in 2005 by Men's Fitness magazine. If you're in Seattle at the right time of year, be sure to attend the massive VegFest, which is hosted by Vegetarians of Washington, one of the largest vegetarian organizations in North America.

Seattle's vegetarian food options are as numerous as they are unique. Start the day off at Mighty O Vegan Donut Shop. It's one of the only all-vegan donut shops in the world. We suggest the Don King—a chocolate-covered chocolate donut topped with shredded coconut. You'll find more fun food at Cyber-Dogs, the all-vegetarian hot dog shop and ultra-funky Internet café in the downtown core, named "Best Healthy Hot Dog Vendor" by Seattle Weekly. Choose from creatively named and garnished "hot dogs," such as the DoggiLama and the Spudnik. Deep in the kingdom of Starbucks, Coffee Messiah preaches health and hazelnut soy lattés and serves vegan breakfasts on the weekend. Vegan Chinese restaurant Bamboo Garden serves more than 100 different dishes.

Visit Hillside Quickies for a taste of "hip-hop vegan"—the Jamaican Spice Tempeh Sub and the Mama Africa Burger get rave reviews. Seattle's University District, one of the most vegetarian-friendly neighborhoods in America, is also home to the city's best vegetarian sandwiches, including the Wayward Café's Philly Seitan and the Spicy Thai Grinder that's available at the Chaco Canyon Café. You'll be "on top of the world" when you dine in the Space Needle; just request a vegan meal when you make your reservation. If you're looking for high-class ambience or the perfect date spot, try the very popular Café Flora, or check out cozy Carmelita and its wonderful wine list.

If you're cooking at home, be sure to try Field Roast's "artisan meats," made in Seattle by Chef David Lee. The high-quality, grain-based deli slices and sausages are available at many Whole Foods and Wild Oats stores throughout the country. Seattle is also home to Puget Consumers Cooperative (PCC), the nation's largest natural-foods cooperative chain; there are eight locations in the Seattle area. PCC has tons of vegetarian and vegan grocery items, delicious baked goods, and some great deli selections.

Top Tip: The best worst-kept secret in Seattle is the daily, awe-inspiring, all-vegan Thai lunch buffet at Araya's, where you can eat spring rolls, tofu with fried rice, and pad Thai to your heart's content.

Wow! Looks like there is more to Seattle than just good coffee

Mad, Rob,

Your (very swift) responses have my psyched! I'm sending them to my daughter.

I am continually amazed at the resources and support found here.

Thanks so much!

Won't make this year's event, but who knows - maybe it's in the cards for 2007

It's encouraging to see meat-eating alternatives growing. While I personally don't care for analogs, it is more humane than the animal food industry.

A dear fellow veg, Roxy, sent me this article:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/food/262010_vegfest08.html

---------------------------------------------------

Wednesday, March 8, 2006

Sink your teeth into Vegfest

Celebrate the meatless bounty at flourishing event

By KRISTIN DIZON

P-I REPORTER

It's a good time to be a vegetarian, or just veg-curious.

Andrew Saeger / Seattle P-I

This weekend brings to Seattle the fifth Vegfest, billed as the largest vegetarian festival in the United States. Last year, more than 9,900 people attended this celebration of meat-free eating, a big increase from the 2,000 who came in 2002, its first year. The festival venue at Seattle Center is doubling in size this year. Food makers and restaurants plan to give out more than 400,000 samples of 650 different foods.

The number of local vegetarian and vegan restaurants also is growing, giving plant-eaters more dining options. Grocery stores and restaurants have become a lot more vegetarian-friendly in recent years, a contrast to the days when vegheads had few options other than natural food stores or co-ops.

Many fast-food outlets, including McDonald's and Burger King, now offer veggie burgers or other meatless options. And there's a bounty of meat-replacement products, including Fakin' Bacon, Foney Baloney and Tofurky. Meat alternatives are made from wheat gluten, soy, compressed mushrooms, lotus root, sesame and more.

Also, plenty of serious carnivores are incorporating veggie food into their diets.

There are no precise estimates of how many Americans are vegetarian, but in a 2003 national survey by Harris Interactive, 2.8 percent of adults (more women than men) said they never eat meat, poultry, fish or seafood. A larger group -- 6 percent -- said they never eat beef or pork.

Part of Vegfest's success lies in its open-arms attitude, focusing on the pleasure of food rather than anti-meat polemics.

"For a lot of people, tasting is believing," said Stewart Rose, president of Vegetarians of Washington, the group behind Vegfest. "I hear guys, who are dragged there by their wives, turn around and say, 'You know, this tastes pretty good. I think I could do this.' Food is a very fundamental pleasure in life."

Besides the usual food tastings, cooking demonstrations, book selling, speaker appearances and health screenings, this year's Vegfest is introducing a kids section. Children can fill out report cards (with smiley and frowning faces for the very young) after tasting products such as Earth's Best baby food or the Sesame Street line of organic snacks and cereals.

Vegetarians of Washington has more than 1,500 members. They come to the group for diverse reasons. There are Jains, Buddhists, Seventh-day Adventists and others whose religions encourage a vegetarian diet. Others are attracted largely by health or medical reasons, environmental or animal-welfare concerns. Some simply may not enjoy the taste of meat.

"I don't eat any flesh of an animal," said Caryn Pierce, a group member and Vegfest volunteer coordinator. "And I was raised that way. I've never had the meat of any animal."

Well, there was a close call when she got a bite of chicken hidden under a lettuce leaf in a salad.

"It was just the most gross feeling ever," said Pierce, of Redmond. "It was like I had bitten my own finger."

Pierce, 33, a fourth-generation vegetarian on one side of her family, is a Seventh-day Adventist, a denomination that encourages vegetarianism as well as living without alcohol and tobacco. Pierce said Adventists are health focused and they look to the first chapter of the Bible for guidelines on how to eat.

They cite a passage in Genesis in which God says to Adam and Eve: "Behold, I have given you every herb-bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree-yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

Sure, Jesus and other biblical figures ate meat, but Adventists look to plant sources as the ideal, and they report lower rates of illness and increased levels of energy from a vegetarian diet.

"Our texts say that your body is the temple of God, and taking care of your body, whatever you eat or drink, is for the glory of God," Pierce said.

The local growth of other ethnic and religious communities -- particularly in the suburbs -- also is fueling the opening of more vegetarian restaurants.

"We get people who come regularly from Seattle, and they're begging us to open a restaurant in Seattle so they don't have to cross (Route) 520," said Manpreet Dha, who runs Preet's in Redmond, which makes vegetarian Punjabi food. "There's definitely a market out here."

Lyle Wong, who runs Teapot Vegetarian House on Capitol Hill, said the vegan restaurant and its new Redmond sibling attract a lot of Buddhists and young people choosing a vegetarian lifestyle.

"Vegetarian food is so well done these days, that you need not even say, 'Oh, it's not meat,' " Wong said. "The texture can be uncannily like meat and it's just as full flavored."

Teapot also is one of a growing number of vegetarian/vegan restaurants that also are kosher, requiring that a rabbi inspect and certify the kitchen daily.

Wong said there's room for all of the newcomers.

"Everybody has something different to offer," he said. "(But) there's still not a lot of vegan restaurants."

The Northwest also is home to innovative vegetarian food manufacturers. In Oregon, there's Tofurky, Turtle Mountain dairy-free frozen desserts and, until recently, Gardenburger, one of the largest makers of frozen veggie burgers, patties and prepared foods. (Gardenburger moved to Utah a few years ago.)

Washington state is known more for small to medium-size producers focused on handcrafted, artisanal foods.

David Lee, president of The Field Roast Grain Meat Co., sells his hand-formed vegetarian meats, including roasts, sausages, meatloaf and deli-style slices, across the country in urban centers.

But Lee, a veteran of Essential Foods Co. who also started Fare Start, a restaurant and food service training program for homeless people, said Field Roast isn't an attempt to imitate meat. The wheat base is seasoned with flavors including lentil sage, smoked mushroom and sun-dried tomato.

Field Roast, started in 1997 in Georgetown, retails for a little over $5 a pound. It's also a popular option at many local restaurants, including the Elysian Brewing Co. on Capitol Hill and Smarty Pants in Georgetown.

"This dualistic idea of you're a ravenous flesh eater or a total vegetarian is getting outdated," said Lee. "One night you might eat steak and the next night, tofu."

The company employs 10 people and makes about 40,000 pounds of Field Roast each month.

"We are experiencing a growth spurt right now, especially with the sausages," Lee said. "We're getting them into mass-market stores like Safeway."

Phil Spiegel, an electrical engineer by training, started making tofu for his family before opening Small Planet Tofu as a business in 1992 in Newport, about 40 miles north of Spokane.

What started as a few hundred pounds a week has grown to nine employees putting out nearly 5,000 pounds of medium-firm tofu every week.

Spiegel, known as "Tofu Phil," said he's still educating people about tofu.

"Ten years ago, people hadn't heard about it," said Spiegel, whose tofu comes in five flavors and a baked variety. "Now, everybody's heard about it, but they don't know what to do with it."

Rose of Vegetarians of Washington hopes Vegfest will help answer those kinds of questions.

"Sometimes people struggle between doing what feels good and what's healthy," he said. "We show them that you can have healthy food that's delicious."

IF YOU GO

Vegfest is Saturday and Sunday at the Seattle Center

Exhibition Hall, 225 Mercer St., 10 a.m.-6 p.m.

Admission is $5, free for ages 12 and under. For more

information, see www.vegofwa.org/vegfest/.

NEW VEGGIE SPOTS

Vegetarian and vegan restaurants have been sprouting up all over the region recently. Here's a list of the ones we know of that have opened within the past two years.

Chan Ho Vegetarian Restaurant, 18124 E. Valley Highway, Kent; 425-251-8818. Serving vegetarian and vegan Hong Kong style cuisine. Open daily, 11 a.m.-8:30 p.m.

Dosa Palace, 730 N.W. Gilman Blvd., Suite C-107, Issaquah; 425-369-2343. Southern Indian vegetarian food. Open daily except Monday, 11:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. and 5:30-10 p.m.

Lakeshore Veggie House, 15 Lake St., No. 103, Kirkland; 425-889-2850. (Recently changed from the former Lakeshore Cafe). Chinese vegetarian cuisine. Open daily, 11 a.m.-9 p.m.

Namasthe Cuisine of India, 16650 Redmond Way, Redmond; 425-558-7858. North Indian vegetarian cuisine and kosher.

Pabla Veggie Cuisine, 1420 N.W. Gilman Blvd., Suite N3, Issaquah; 425-392-4725. Punjabi and kosher cuisine. Open daily, 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 5-10 p.m.

Preet's, 8440 160th Ave. N.E., Redmond; 425-867-9400. Open daily, noon-3 p.m. and 5:30-9:30 p.m. North Indian food.

Teapot Vegetarian House, 15230 N.E. 24th St. # H, Redmond; 425-373-1888 or 425-747-8881. www.teapotvegetarianhouse.com Vegan and kosher menu includes cuisine of Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, Japan and China. Open daily, 11 a.m.-10 p.m.

Teapot Vegetarian House, new Seattle location: 345 15th Ave. E.; 206-325-1010. Same Web site. Open daily, 11 a.m.-10:30 p.m.

Vegetarian Bistro, 668 King St.; 206-624-8899. Serves dim sum and Chinese cuisine. Open Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m., and Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m.

DIFFERENT KINDS OF GREEN EATERS

The lexicon of vegetarianism can be a little confusing, so here's a basic guide:

Vegetarian: No meat, poultry or fish

Vegan: No eating or consumption of animal flesh or products, including eggs and dairy; often excludes honey too (dietary vegan: only follows the food rules)

Ovo-lacto vegetarian: A vegan who also eats milk and eggs

Lacto vegetarian: A vegan who does dairy

Ovo vegetarian: You guessed it -- a vegan who eats eggs

Pescetarian: A vegetarian who eats fish

Flexitarian: Someone who eats a largely vegetarian diet, but gives in to the occasional desire for say, bacon or a hamburger

Pseudo-vegetarian: A person who claims to be vegetarian, but isn't

Raw foodist: Vegans or vegetarians who consume only or mostly raw and living foods that are uncooked (never heated above 116 degrees), unprocessed and usually organic. (Within the raw food movement, there are those who focus on one type of food, including fruitarians, sproutarians and juicearians.)

P-I reporter Kristin Dizon can be reached at 206-448-8118 or [email protected].

It looks like you are on the right track and set up with some great helpful info. You'll also be in the #2 Vegan-friendly city in the country, according to PETA/Goveg.com.

I'm sure any poll out there will have Seattle in the top 5 vegan places in the United States.

All the best!

-Rob

• 1 year later...

I'm looking forward to being in Seattle in two weeks! I hope to have a mini Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness gathering while we're there. I know a bunch of us plan on going and some of you live there, so let's hang out!

I'll PM Seawillow to try to get the update.

Hey Rob!

Thanks for your lovely message. I apologize for not responding sooner. Right now, I plan to be in Maryland for awhile (ie: job, house) - although life may bring other changes.

My daughter is moving to Seattle next month! After visiting the Emerald City 2x this past year, she knew it was just a matter of time. (I'm glad/sad) / On the bright side, the west coast will soon have another stellar resident -AND I'll have major motivation to get out there for a visit.

Looks like she'll just miss VegFest but I'll forward the info on the Oregon gathering - she has expressed a strong desire to visit Portland.

Everything else here is status quo - still vegan and recently became very high raw (coffee and chai soy lattes are still my weakness). It's so good to be back in touch with you all. The stars of "Vegan Fitness" DVD made a genuine impression on me and it's been a thrill to see you, Tonya and Brendan developing new projects.

Talk to you soon

Sea