Rossco's journal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5/3/1 week 2 workout 2, wednesday 16/01/13

awesome workout today, I trained from home on my own and got shit done forgot to charge the camera so no film.. sozza!

Deadlifts

warmups

20Kg x 8

50Kg x 5

working sets

72.5Kg x 3

82.5Kg x 3

100Kg x (3 or more) 6

Military press

warmup sets

20Kg x 8

20Kg x 8

working sets

30Kg x 3

35Kg x 3

42.5Kg x (3 or more) 7

pendlay rows

42.5Kg x 8

42.5Kg x 6

42.5Kg x 6

50Kg x 5

50Kg x 5

Chins

x5

x5

x5

lateral raises

5Kg plates (each arm) x 10

superset bent over, 2.5Kg plates x 10 <-- did this 3 times

now stretching and cooling ready to stuff my face , feeling okay today, uncles funeral is next week and as he was a southampton football club fan all the men have to wear southampton shirts, I thought that was a lovely gesture

That'll be a real nice touch with the shirts. I have a good connection myself with Southampton as I worked on the QE2 for 5yrs ~ Southampton was her home. I spent a lot of time down there, cool city.

Good session above, hope you are charging your camera now ?! I'm also doing what you are doing mate, stuffing my face haha.

yo, im gonna hook you up with the best pullup advice i ever got. weighted negatives, and holding top and bottom position until you die. i did that for 2weeks and in 4weeks could do muscle ups on rings. i hope it helps you as much as it did me

yeah it's all charged and ready for next time jim Gonna get myself some squat stands at some point, it is going to suck not using the safety bar any more though

the city of southampton has given me some bloody good memorys, lovely place and good music venues

cheers pope! I'm not too fussed about pullups but will give that a try at some point

5/3/1 week 2 workout 3, Friday 18/01/13

BENCH PRESS

warm up sets

20Kg x 12

20Kg x 12

working sets

50Kg x 3

55Kg x 3

65Kg x (3 or more) 8

I didn't have a spotter here so stopped before failure feel like I could have hit 10

Wide grip pushups

x15

x15

x12

Plate front raises

5Kg plate x 12

10Kg plate x 12

15Kg plate x 12

20Kg plate x 8

a few sets of plate flys

couldn't be fucked doing much else so called it off here to go play in the snow with the girlfriend

Wendler (and others) advocates to stop 1 rep before failure anyway. I also read somewhere (probably on T-nation) that it was advantageous to muscle growth NOT to go to failure, and I recall the author gave good evidence for it. If I have the time I'll look for that article.

I think it's all just finding out what works well for the individual.

Training to failure and other training methods generate different responses in different people, and because of this IMO it's probably wrong to classify a training approach as an optimal or sub-optimal way to train.

Dorian Yates would disagree with Wendler with regards to training to failure, it sure worked for him. That's my point, you have to try things yourself and reach your own conclusion rather than go along with what someone is saying (regardless of their authority and/or who they are). Just my 2c.

I don't always go to failure as for me it takes longer to recover, where I'm only training 3 days a week I'm not fussed about going to failure so I have more time to rest. I've never really thought about it though, I'll have a good look around and test it out for myself, cheers for the input you two

Hey dude! Yeah weekend was fine just worked through it really, how about you? And yeah snow and ice is still everywhere :/

5/3/1 week 3 workout 1 Monday 21/01/13

SQUATS

Warm up sets

Bar x 10

Bar x 10

Working sets

67.5Kg x 5

75Kg x 3

85Kg x (1 or more) 5 easy reps

Had a decent conversation with one of the student trainers, he said my squat was impressive and then we shared stories about idiots that can't squat baha

Leg press 4 medium sets

Leg extensions 3 medium sets

Abs, crunches

X20

X15

X10

X10

Xdeath..

had to train today as I'm too busy tomorrow even though I have the start of a cold that is pissing me off.

5/3/1 week 3 workout 2, Tuesday 22/01/13

DEADLIFTS!

I filmed the deadlifts but I'm tempted to not bother uploading it, it was terrible due to my cold and looked so bad..

warm up sets

20Kg x 8

60Kg x 6

working sets

82.5Kg x 5

92.5Kg x 3

105Kg x (1 or more) 4

SHOULDER PRESS

warm up sets

20Kg x 10

20Kg x 10

working sets

35Kg x 5

40Kg x 3

42.5Kg x (1 or more) 8

Pendlay rows

42.5Kg x 8

42.5Kg x 6

52.5Kg x 5 not doing these again, don't like them

one armed rows w/ plates

10Kg plate x 12 reps each arm

15Kg plate x 10 reps each arm

15Kg plate x 10 reps each arm

20Kg plate x 10 reps each arm

lateral raises w/ plates each arm

5Kg plates x 12 reps

5Kg plates x 12 reps

10Kg plates x 10 reps

10Kg plates x 10 reps

no pull ups today not feeling up to it, I've also noticed I haven't shrugged in a while, Probably going to throw some in on bench day

Indeed dude that is really a nice workout considering you got Cold you manage to do all those exercises with good cold , and its great you managed your workout despite the cold , Sometimes all you need is a good ass kicking workout to get your mind of stupid cold .

How are you liking 5/3/1 ?

I am tempted to jump into it but all the percentages kinda get me off i guess i'l just run a Hypertrophy cycle for a month or two and then get back to Strength training to give body something different .