turning mrbear into a mountain!

Still kicking here mate. 22 reps at 100kg is ridiculous! Bummer to hear about your injuries man, but sounds like you've made some solid progress over the past year. Also, if you think it's dead here now, you should have been around for the month or so that it was basically just me updating my log!

Glad to see you back around man.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! lucky you were here chris to keep it running a couple of months back! im going to make an effort to post here again now although i dont do alot of training now. itll probably turn into a life log rather than a training one now haha

did legs this morning bad idea when having to go up ladders all day afterwards

6 sets calf press 3 with toes pointing in, 3 toes out heels together 10 reps 200kg.

5 sets single leg ham curls 15 reps 50kg.

5 sets leg extensions 12 reps 110kg.

3 sets leg press 10 reps 220kg.

5 sets leg press 12 reps 150 kg.

i usuaully do more weight and les volume but fancied a change today. waiting to see if the DOMS is any better/worse.

• 3 weeks later...

my back and shoulder are not good lately so havent trained, physio is costing me a fortune too but i dont have a choice really! still got the viking warrior spirit for training tho just biding my time until i can do it again........hope all are well and injury free?

@Ross i think its just an little injury thats turned into a big one after years of abuse, i used to work around it but the nerve damage is quite bad now.......nevermind it will get sorted eventually, the osteo i see is really good and has helped alot already

hey maybenot, long time no speak, hows things in brazil pal? still training ?

• 9 months later...

Hey big Rob, how you doing pal? im ok thanks, just realised how long since ive been here so thought i would come and see whos about. Hows your training these days? made any new discoveries? looking strong from the quick look i had in your journal!

Good stuff, training's going well mate, been making good progress with max contraction training this weather. No discoveries, as long as its intense and breif count me in:) The only thing I have found this year was ive grown bigger and stronger again training more frequently, training twice a day somedays. That being said, am never in the gym longer than 12-20minutes at a gym.

What about your own training, are you back lifting, how are the injuires?

Best

Rob

sounds good pal, im all for the brief training still injuries are getting better ive done basically no weights for a year just resistance bands, but to be honest i really like them. Im just starting to toy with the weights again now very slowly and carefully usually with a really long thorough warm up and just a couple of heavy sets to finish. Just a modified HIT routine to fit in with my injuries but its going well. I only weigh 95ish kgs now but alot leaner than i used to be. Is you twice a day training for different body parts? i think im going to design a cluster type routine again like we discussed in the past, i enjoyed that way of training. Has the weather been boiling hot with you like it has here?

watched this the other day thought you might enjoy it if your bored sometime

Resistance bands? Did you get a matching coloured purse and handbag with them lol, only joking. Hey man, whatever works...works, 95kg is still a decent weight and considering you were already fairly lean at your heaviest you must be in damn good nik:)

Believe it or not, sometimes I repeat a workout or the same bodypart, taxing?...hell yeah, but what ive notice is that preformance (in terms of force production) is better the second time round. Theres actually research backs this up, its reffered to as "riding the metabolic wave". When we train, are body is on a metabolic high, I.e.,increased protein synthesis, increased insulin sensitivity, feel good endorphins released, the realise of natural growth hormones, CNS stimulated etc, so train the same bodypart again before the "metabolic wave" washes over. Dont do it too often, as the next day your spent, but get plenty of rest and anti catabolic nutrients in ya and your good.

Yeah cluster sets are good, ill still salt them in now and then, but I still feel there needs to be some serious overload to recurit those high order fibers. Max contraction does exatly as it says on the tin for this purpose:)

Yes mate, frecking boiling, I can take the heat, damn hayfever is killing me aswell since I moved into the countryside. And dont get me started on guys wearing flip flops;)

Seen that one, check out the natural mr Amercias John Heart's interviews with Ric Draisin on youtube, hes now the guy that does the heavy duty phone consultations that Mike used to do. His recommendations at kinda inbetween Dorians fairy hight volume workouts and Mikes very low volume workouts. Hes very good.

Best

Rob

hahaha i must admit i do feel a bit of a tart using them but if you do it right you can have a good workout, they'll never make you big...... but use them for rehab type training and warming up and their good, especially when you start doubling and tripling them up

that sounds interesting, kind of like a giant rest pause thing, i might give that a go i bet it really takes it out of you though especially if you go to proper failure again the second time round.

ive been concentrating on bench press and pull up workouts for now as these dont cause me any injury issues. I did a hard and very brief pull up workout the other day going to failure then jumping up and doing negatives to failure, having not done any in a year or so it wasnt the best idea as i couldnt even put a t shirt on the day after the pain was unbelievable it was hurting when i wasnt even moving! i love it though!

ill have a read up on max contraction im not 100% familiar with that i dont think. Im going to really get into HIT again now, i think its the way for me. Because i train for less time (even though its heavier) it feels like it doesnt aggravate my injuries the same way as more volume lighter weight does.

have you ever read any of stuart mcroberts brawn books? ive been thinking of getting one just for something fresh to read but didnt want to incase it was full of mainstream training crap.

pleasure talking to you again Rob informative and interesting as always

p.s what the hell is it with flip flops, ive never got it. i wear boots. like a man. all year round.

Lol, Amen on the flip flops brother, ive seen enough pterodactyl like toe nails to do life time:)

Negatives dont half leave ya sore, all that friction and what have ya...ever try cold plunges? I take one or two a week right after training, helps with the level of DOMS.

Max contraction is probably the best way Ive found to stimulate growth and work around injuries, heres how I use it

3 several second maximal contractions, with 15 second rest pauses, very taxing, but productive way to train...

Staurt McRoberts, I used to buy Flex and Ironman in the 90s just for his articles, have his hardgainer book, gives solid advice to thoses in the natural hardgainer trenches.

Like wise mate, the pleasures all mine, its great to chat again...

p.s Resistance bands defo have there place, especially the pink ones;))

Never really tried cold plunges, i used to go and sit in the sea sometimes as i felt it helped with my injury inflammation. maybe i should start again.

Did HIT bench press wokout tonight took about 15mins including warming up with the bands and putting the purse, flip flops and hand bag away etc .... feel shaky and a bit sick now so guessing it worked. could do with a spotter for some forced reps or negatives but ill start using rest pause again instead as ive had good results with benching that way in the past. 6 reps with 120kg was the heavy workset which i failed half way up on the 7th so did a kind of negative as i battled it down to the low bar catchers.

Hey Rob, ive never been able to do dips without discomfort, shame as i know they are a productive exercise. Have heard them described as the upper body squat.

have been thinking of doing a 4 day routine of one set a day not including warm up. I find it really hard to do nothing for days on end in between HIT workouts so was thinking of doing something like this......

monday.- bench press, warm ups followed by one working set to failure + rest pause.

tuesday.- pull ups, warm up with pink bands ;p followed by one working set to failure + negatives

thursday.- leg press.- warm ups followed by one working set to failure + rest pause.

friday.- military press or side laterals warm ups the one working set to failure and continuing on into partials till failure. (if doing laterals)

the shoulder day isnt essential i just like doing them. my thinking is that, sometimes i literally have nothing left after my one working set, so if i did the next bodypart the day after i would have enough energy to go balls out again, may cause a bit of overlap in recovery but the work outs are mega short, less than 10 mins easy so i think i could recover well with good rest and diet, and really its only 3 or 4 work sets a week just spread out a bit so i have more energy to force into each one. Or maybe do monday tuesday and legs on the wednesday and bin the friday shoulder workout. OR maybe im just thinking too much haha

Looks good to me mate. I know what you mean with regard to only being able to give a sub-maximal effort to a second movement, that was my thinking a few years back and again more recently, but for the this year Ive noted a better hypertrophic response from using targeted isolation exercises (less systemic fatigue, more localised) that provide resistance in the fully contracted position. Of course, this is not to say that results cant be had with a super abbreviated appoarch.

Ive a good friend in Berlin thats done nothing but bench and rows (with almost 400lb) on a Monday, then trap bar deadlifts with over 700lb for reps, the guy is huge...naturally! You could also check out Bill Sahli's old school high intensity facebook page, he is currently doing Trap bar deads, negative dips and lying triceps extension one week, then leg press, high pulls and curl the next week. It can be done:)

bicep and tricep workout tonight finished in one 5 minute rammstein track my arms feel crazy now really hard to touch when relaxed. i normally do (as i guess most others do too) arms after other bigger bodyparts, so do them from the start tonight was really cool. Feels like you can generate so much force with them when you train them first when they are fresh.

some light warm ups then 1 set of bicep curls lying face down on an incline bench, feels alot harder this way especially at the top you have much more gravity effect due to angle of the upper arms, much better contractions. stood up immediately when i failed then did some negatives using a little momentum to get the bar up and lowering it as slowly as possible.

then 1 set tricep press downs to failure followed immediately by contracting against a thick rope just a fraction before lockout in the same pressdown position for as long and hard as i could.

kind of hard to do somethings at home with minimal equipment so trying to be resourceful.

yo Rob, the targeted isolation thing sounds good ive never really thought of it like that, makes sense though. I suppose your stimulating one muscle 100% rather than 4 or 5 muscles at something maybe less than 100%. Im trying to think of a way to do delts, i dont love pressing movements just incase i flare up and injuries so im kind if stuck with laterals of some variation or another .

looking forward to see if ive managed to cause any DOMs in such a short time tomorrow.