2006 Spring Shape-Up Contest!

My experience so far has been pretty positive.

My metabolism is really kicking into gear.

Had some very valuable advice from some group members.

Jonathan was kind enough to tweak my workout plan.

Adrienne & Bronco also helped me realize the importance of a rest day!

That will be valuable advice since I have a history of overdoing things and coming down with a cold.

Awesome! Glad to hear it! Keep on rockin!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi! I'm new, I pretty much joined for the contest, but also to get some tips from you lovely, fit vegans. I know the contest has already started but it took me this long to talk myself into doing it! It's not too late, right? I have been attempting to photograph myself without much success so I think tomorrow I will enlist a friend to help me. Either way, I'll be sending the photos soon (with a red face). I just joined the Y today and I am really excited to start working out again. Now if only I could get excited about cleaning up my diet...

I hope it doesn't matter too much that I couldn't find my bikini..... My photo was taken in really short gym shorts (god I almost needed exploritory surgery to remove them) and a short gym top! (leftover items from my 20's)

I'm afraid I haven't changed much about my routine, have actualy eased off on the exercise, but have managed to cut out liquorice(almost). The yoga is really tightening my abs though (I think, I'll tell you when I find them-baby belly ugh!), and the tia chi in the mornings is really firing up my metabolism!

I just got home, and will write more later but wanted to say.....

IT IS NOT TOO LATE TO JOIN. PLEASE SEND PHOTOS BY APRIL 15TH. THE CONTEST WILL BE CLOSED AT THAT TIME AND THEN I WILL COLLECT AFTER PHOTOS IN JUNE.

The sooner the better so you still have as close to the full 12 weeks as possible.

Thanks, and we'll do this again in the summer too.

We've had a great response so far, so thanks to all involved!

Robert

Yikes! We weren't supposed to take our pictures in a bikini, were we? I took mine in gym clothes that are really form fitting.

Robert, I am officialy starting the contest today and the pictures are taken but I am a bit of a computer dummy so it might take a bit longer for me to figure out how to send them to you. But you will have them before the 15th for sure.

Thanks for joining the group of people doing this challenge

No, you don't have to take them in a bikini. You can take them in any fitness wear.

Most men have taken photos with just shorts on to show the upper body and legs, and most women have taken photos with shorts on and a tank top, sports bra, or bikini. Whatever you feel comfortable in is fine. It is just to show progress, which is why I just simply say "fitness wear"

Feel free to keep an online training/nutrition journal as well. It helps track what worked well and what didn't work as well.

All the best to everyone.

Went for my first jog (in 4mnths) yesterday...it was freezing, and the clouds were loooming.....it was the hardest 8k jog I've done for a while....talk about having to sych yourself up......you know you've done a hard run when you come back feeling like you spitting blood!!! Ah, the thrills of exercise!!!!!!!!

I am going to get picture to you soon Robert.

If there is someone on the board who needs someone to keep a check on their progress let me know so we can exchange services. If I have someone keep a tab on me every other day or so it will definatly help me going.

Cool, thanks!

I've received over 75 photos so far, typically an average of 3 per person, so we have a pretty good turnout. More photos are on the way too, so it is pretty encouraging, especially since I only have a 2 1/2 week notice before the contest started. Thanks for the great response so far!

Ah okay cool. I reckon I will have a lot to say about my progress / lack of. I have made quite good progress the last couple of weeks. I have noticed steady increase in weights that I am lifting. I am not sure about any really noticeable physical changes yet though.

I LOVE the body-for-life program (except for the meat eating) in fact, it was an accidental discovery of the book that created a complete transformation of who I was to what I am now. All my life I was overweight. For as long as I could remember, I was fat, I reached an all time peak of 220 lbs at 5"8 at the age of 22. I had a 38 inch waist, and I was sloppy. No musclature at all.

Then I discovered BFL. And within 12 weeks, I dropped almost 60 lbs and shrunk to a 31 inch waist. And although I've tried different programs since then, none have ever worked as well as the BFL.

Except for one thing. I love to train, I think about it all the time, when I'm not training, I want to be training. I love to push myself to the limits. And the problem I was having with BFL is that by the time I got to the last couple of muscle groups I was already tired. For example: biceps. They are usually the last muscle group worked in an upper body workout. I would go over to the 30 lb. dumbell for my level 9 intensity (for those familiar with BFL) and I would barely squeak out my 10 reps. Hey great! level 9 right??? well unfortunately, if I'd gone to those dumbells at the BEGINNING of my 46 minute workout, and did them first. that 30 lb dumbell would feel MUCH lighter, more like a level 7 or 8. Now is level 9 a perceived intensity? or an actual intensity? Am I truely *building* later on in my workout?

To combat the accumulating fatigue, I decided to limit the number of exercises I was doing to encompass the majority of the muscles in the body, and work those exercises to the maximum of my capabilities.

I've dropped it down to 4 exercises: Squats, Deadlifts, Dips, and Chinups. doing 1 upper and 1 lower on workout A, and the other 2 on workout B.

I've seen some fantastic results going about it this way. I believe these 4 lifts work the most number of muscles with the least amount of overlapping.

. For example: biceps. They are usually the last muscle group worked in an upper body workout. I would go over to the 30 lb. dumbell for my level 9 intensity (for those familiar with BFL) and I would barely squeak out my 10 reps. Hey great! level 9 right??? well unfortunately, if I'd gone to those dumbells at the BEGINNING of my 46 minute workout, and did them first. that 30 lb dumbell would feel MUCH lighter, more like a level 7 or 8. Now is level 9 a perceived intensity? or an actual intensity? Am I truely *building* later on in my workout?

Have you tried training smaller muscle groups first, and the larger last? It increases the intensity of the workout, and (as you well know)by the time you have trained the largest body part first (say back eg, typical day back and biceps -if training a 3 day split-) you are fatigued. If you train the smaller muscle group first, you may benefit.

I've stopped training my larger musle group first, and always start with the smaller (mind you my weights on the larger muscle groups dropped back slightly), but I've managed to increase on the smaller muscle groups !!! Its half one way, or a dozen the other!!!!!!!!!!!

Have you tried training smaller muscle groups first, and the larger last? It increases the intensity of the workout, and (as you well know)by the time you have trained the largest body part first (say back eg, typical day back and biceps -if training a 3 day split-) you are fatigued. If you train the smaller muscle group first, you may benefit.

I've stopped training my larger musle group first, and always start with the smaller (mind you my weights on the larger muscle groups dropped back slightly), but I've managed to increase on the smaller muscle groups !!! Its half one way, or a dozen the other!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried that at first, but the underlying problem still exists. By doing so many exercises, I am fatigued, irregardless what order they are done in. And if you are excessively fatigued, you will not be able to generate the intensity required to stimulate new growth in your tissues. By cutting back on the number of exercises I do, I am able to push myself harder, therefore generating stronger contractions, and elliciting a better response from my muscles.

It's definately a possiblity. Although I don't seem to fit the typical "category" of a hardgainer. I'm not particularily tall, nor youthful looking. I have a round , rugged looking face, although I am naturally thin (although you couldn't see it underneath my blubber) I have inserted more rest days between my weight days, and have noticed an increase in strength (albeit slightly)

W.

Sorry to change the subject, but I got a new road bike today (a Trek Pilot) and I had to tell someone. WooHoo!!!! Extra morning workouts - I'm rockin' the fitness challenge.

Interruption over.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Sorry to change the subject, but I got a new road bike today (a Trek Pilot) and I had to tell someone. WooHoo!!!! Extra morning workouts - I'm rockin' the fitness challenge.

Interruption over.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.

Jonathan will be mortified! Another groupmember doing c-c-cardio????

have fun with the new bike!!! and ride safe!!!