Help with aggression

klaatu21

I'm n sure if they're connected or it's just a coincidence, but since I've been lifting weights my aggression levels have gone haywire . I'm not a naturally aggressive person, quite the contrary. I'm usually rediculously calm, has anyone else had any experiences along these lines?

maybe its the testosterone being produced from heavy training? in what ways are finding yourself aggressive? aggressive with people for no reason or aggressive when you see something wrong? theres good aggression and bad aggression. im a laid back person but ultra aggressive when i need to be, e.g if i saw someone harming someone else for no good reason i would get very aggressive very quick.

Normally I'm ridiculously laid back and only get worked up if I see unfairness or have a reason, but at the minute I'm feeling aggressive for no reason at all, not because of any person or situation but I'm becoming very intolerant once I become aggressive over rediculous things, I've put it down to heightened testosterone too, will it pass? Any advice how I can regain balance?

its a tough one mate, i used to be really hot headed about everything but ive managed to calm down and control my temper with my mind. i just try to think to myself the second i start to get annoyed about something, right, getting annoyed isnt going to solve this problem (unless someone is being beaten up etc...) just try to stay calm and sort it out.......or go do something else........and if its a person thats making you get agressive just walk away unless its justified. i try to save all my anger for my workouts and let it all out then....helps clear my mind and i feel fresh afterwards.

That's the thing, Its water off a ducks back usually, from tiny things to massive things. Im a cared for people with learning difficulties so I get put through the ringer pretty much everyday with physical and verbal abuse so it's never usually a problem, there's no specific trigger, it happened today when I was chilling on my own at home so there was no outside reason, I think I may just be over thinking it all and it'll pass, I'm also gonna give meditation a crack

Hey dude, been there my friend, last summer not that long after I started using weights I felt aggresive far too often which if you knew me would shock you ahha I used to be stupidly laid back, I got the aggresion under control through taking martial arts classes and I did a little bit of meditation, if anything though the meditation was just a chance to relax, think and plan my week lol still seemed to work a bit. The aggresion has pretty much gone but I still get quite shitty about nothing everynow and again, all the best man hope you can shift it

...I think I may just be over thinking it all and it'll pass, I'm also gonna give meditation a crack

I'd personally be a little hesitant to go onto meds, in my experience that initially mass the problem but other issues end up arising from taking the meds; I see this on numerous occasions on a weekly basis.

Could be an increase in your test levels simply from the training you are doing, which once you're over 30 is not probably a bad thing lol. Sounds like on some level it's probably a hormonal thing that's happening for some reason. I use the gym to try and get out all of my anger, aggression and shit that's built up through the day, once I leave the gym I'm normally pretty calm. You could look at taking some natural products which are calming (withania, rhodiola, kava, L-Theanine etc) and see what effect they have before you head off to your doctor. Just a few thoughts there, all the best though mate MF.

Haha I don't even take pain killers unless I really really have to, I don't trust meds for the same reason you said, it just masks the problem, plus through my job I've got extensive training on medication and half the time there are more side effects than problems solved, so screw that, I'm just gonna eat clean, lift heavy, and keep my self as calm as possible. Keep that cortisol level down .

And luckily it's a weights day today

I'm not sure what you're diet is like but when I started working out and saw a personal trainer, he had me on a 'low carb' vegan diet. I got so cranky it was unreal. I was miserable. I'm still not sure whether it was undereating calories or not enough carbs, but grabbing a piece of fruit(s) when I start to feel like has helped LOADS

• 2 weeks later...
because aggression is a negative emotion, where nothing getrs acchieved, determination is what i use

You can learn to channel aggression in the gym towards your lifting, it's actually very useful.

I'm a really mellow and happy guy, but sometimes that's not the best emotion to be in when you're about to walk 150kg out of the squat rack. Agression in the gym is quite different to aggression out of the gym.