For the Love of Pete?

I do believe that I just read one of the most ignorant, misinformed statements that I have ever read concerning food, diet, health, nutrition, etc.

I will say that I was perusing a low carb forum. The was a thread on it where a brave sole, who's name was Pro-Potato, gave some pretty compelling nutritional facts as to why potatoes are good to have in a diet.

I had no problem with that, and told him.

There was a follow up post by another individual who was at odds with this gentleman. Claiming that eating a baked potato was like eating tablespoons full of sugar (which I am pretty sure that he/she got fro "SugarBusters!).

This person's suggestion was to eat french fries. Why? Because french fries have fat, and that makes them healthier.

Beem me up someone. It's just getting out of control on this orb.

Jon

I know what you mean. Some people look at me like I'm crazy for eating an apple, or other fruits. They can't believe I would ingest that much sugar!

I have a friend or two on the Atkins diet. That is some real CRAZY stuff, it's almost like a weird religion or something. Unfortunately for them, they won't be around too much longer catch their mistake in time.

Some of those "low-carb" and other similar message boards I can't even visit, the stuff that people are "believing" about nutrition is astounding and I have to stay away because I just shake my head.

Love potatoes, especially oven baked. Too bad the second person you mentioned won't ever benefit from eating them.

And, don't get me started on Atkins!

I actually did Atkins about 6 (?) years ago. Weight, blood pressure, etc. was starting to get out of control. I was drinking 64-128 oz. of Coke a day (now I might have 3 20 oz. bottles a week (I know, it's bad for me, but it's a treat.). My students were calling me Drew Cary, my Uncle was calling me Butterball. So I did Atkins.

In the process of of loosing 40+ pounds (of which, about 15 has come back in the last 5 1/2 years), I did "improve" my blood work and blood pressure. BUT! I was constipated, started getting chest pains , had intestinal bleeding, and so on. I gave it up after about 5 months. I couldn't do it anymore.

So, the moral of the story? Eat lots of vegetables, fruits, grains, oats, and leave out the meats, the processed food stuffs, and the gallon of Coke a day.

So, yes, I did go down that road. But before it got to bad I turned back.

Jon

>>>Originally Posted by Quinadal

But they ARE empty calories. And will raise your blood sugar faster than pure sugar! At least fries have fat to make them slightly healthier...<<<

The above is the actual quote from the poster.

According to him/her potatoes are an empty calorie... I don't know if this person is just stupid? or truly ignorant.

Anyway, there are somethings that make me want to run head first itno a cinder block wall. This is one of them.

Jon

[and the gallon of Coke a day.

Jon

Cutting back on Coke has been one of the hardest things to do. I love carbonated sugar water with food colouring

And I TOTALLY agree with y'all on the stupidity of Atkins. ANy diet that tells you that butter and cheese and steak are better for you than plant foods is simply not credible, full stop.

I was flipping through an Atkin's book while waitiing in the doc's office to see some more ridiculousness and it featured a vegetarian man of over 30 years that had broken his veg to try Atkins !!! Hope he comes to his senses like you OVER40.