peanut butter - bloating and gas

yepes

I'll give a try to cashew butter, much more expensive.

unfortunately I seem to have the same problem with soy products; yogurt, tofu and so on.

I'd like to start again weight lifting soon and I wanted to take soy protein powder, I'm afraid I already know what's going to happen with that stuff.

I'm surprised how short it takes for soy and PB to cause me problems digesting them.

Evan that is hilarious whether you are being sarcastic or not. My dad used to say doctor doctor it hurts when I do this while pretending to hit himself in the head. Yepes Cashew butter is one of the more expensive of the nut butters. Maybe you can find sun flower seed butter or almond butter for cheaper. Worth a look. Maybe online even? Where are you located? Have a trader joes near you by chance?

I think it takes many adults years (if not decades) to figure out what they can digest rapidly and what they can't (often with a list of caveats).

Many westerners (to be blunt: white people) tell me that they can't digest various types of beans, but the truth is that they've never had them properly cooked. A lot of people of "western" background really do not understand that beans can't be consumed like salad leaves: they require cooking, and a lot of it. Even a "prepared" bean like a storebought tofu (in a plastic container) will generally need to be cooked very thoroughly to be easily digestible.

There is also variation that largely corresponds to the thickness of the "skin" on the outer layer of the bean (the part evolved to avoid predation, etc.). High-protein black beans are RELATIVELY easy to cook to the point of digestibility, whereas the thicker skin on chickpeas increases the workload, no matter what format you're eating them in (warning, e.g., raw chickpeas put through a food processor are hard as hell on your guts, even if they look the same as beans that were thoroughly cooked). Rendering fava beans (a.k.a. "broad beans") digestible is an unbelivably difficult task (made easier by removing the "skin" entirely).

Most western people don't have direct experience cooking raw soybeans, so they tend to think of soy-ingredients as if they didn't require cooking to the same extent as any other bean. There's a similar illusion surrounding some types of canned beans, canned chili, etc., simply because the beans in those cans have already been cooked extensively --and then people imagine that this is the natural state of beans as an ingredient. It isn't. Getting familiar with what tofu really "is" will remove some of the mystery as to why SOME soy products will SOMETIMES be really difficult to digest (and not others, etc.) --assuming you don't have an underlying allergy to legumes.

There was an Asian woman working behind the counter at a university dining hall, and I asked her directly: "These chickpeas are raw, aren't they? I can see that you added them to this salad directly out of the can without cooking them. You wouldn't serve them to your own children that way, would you?" She was nice about it (I had talked to her before) but the whole conversation reflected the strange disconnect between western culture and beans as an ingredient: many beans require MORE cooking than an equivalent meat ingredient, but westerners generally think of them as a fresh vegetable (akin to lettuce, etc.) that can be added to a salad without cooking.

However, back to the particular case at hand:

If you really can't digest soy, you may have a more fundamental problem with all legumes, and you can look into it (I have met just one person alive who was allergic to ALL legumes, a really scary condition, actually). However, you might want to observe if you have the same problem when soy is part of a mixed meal (involving rice and vegetables, etc.) as this presents a different challenge for your stomach than ingesting soy protein powder (etc.).

In the short term, this is more important before a workout than after. If you're just using peanut butter to fill up, consider eating (dare I say it?) chocolate instead, if you can digest chocolate.

As you probably know, "Soy-free vegan protein" is a whole industry unto itself (largely based on powdered peas, etc.).

@C.O.

I live in Italy. I have n't paid attention to flower seed butter but I'm sure my store has almonds and nuts butter. Cashew butter has a better 'profile' I think, actually I recall having bought cashew accidentally and it didn't give me problems if I recall correctly

@Zel in France

Thanks for the post. I definitely don't have a problem with all legumes as I'm perfectly fine eating this kind of (fresh) beans

http://bosco.eldi.it/files/2009/10/fagioli_borlotti_lrg.jpg

can't remember the english name at the moment. I'm also ok with frozen peas and sprouted soybeans eaten raw.

I never thought about coocking the storebought tofu (in a plastic container), I could give it a try. It tastes really bad uncooked, can't imagine it tasting worse when coocked. No idea about how to cook it though. I tried cooked tempeh, it didn't give me as much problems as uncooked tofu but it was really awful probably because of the excess of salt in it. However I had some problems to so some extent even with that coocked tempeh.

Soy yougurt gives me problems as well.

As for canned beans, I never eat canned products as I think they have lost all their properties, also I had stomach problems after trying most of canned beans.

I don't eat chocolate, it's one of those food not really recommended in a general 'orthopathian' diet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthopathy)

Overall I'm eating really few legumes and not really often, some like 3 or 4 times a week. I think I'll to try again with dried legumes.

I will try soy powder proteins anyway as I'm curious to know how I handle them, it's the most complete non-animal protein so I think it's worth a try before going into the non-soy stuff...