Vegan Whipped Creams/Cremes

Crash

Just a few recipes I've found along the way....

Almond Creme

Ingredients:

1 cup blanched almonds

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup maple syrup

3/4 cup water

Blend all ingredients in blender till smooth. Good in coffee, on top of pie or by the spoonful!

You need a good blender for this.

Coconut Whipped Cream:

Ingredients:

1 can unsweetened coconut cream or coconut milk

1/3 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup soymilk powder

2 tsp vanilla powder OR

1 tbsp vanilla sugar (if used, decrease sugar slightly)

Put can of coconut cream/milk in fridge for 4 hours.

Open can, and remove the thick part at the top. Save the rest for other uses.

Put thick coconut cream into a chilled metal bowl.

With electric beaters, beat cream until thick and fluffy.

Gently beat in remaining ingredients.

Cover bowl, and chill for at least an hour.

Use on fruit, cakes, pies, etc., just before serving. Store in fridge. Use as soon as possible.

Cashew Cream

Ingredients:

200g cashews

800ml apple juice

2tbs sunflower oil

icing sugar to taste

vanilla essence to taste

Bring the cashews and apple juice to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the cashews soften (five to ten minutes). Cover, and leave to cool for a couple of hours, or overnight.

Remove the softened cashews with a slotted spoon, and liquidise with the oil, and as little of the apple juice as possible, adding sugar and vanilla essence to taste.

The cream is delicious with fresh fruit salad, and as an ingredient in a wide variety of desserts.

Sweet Tofu Cream

This tofu cream is great straight from the bowl, but if you've got any left over you can use it in anything that calls for sweet cream (e.g. cakes).

Ingredients:

300g silken tofu

pinch sea salt

2 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp vanilla essence

1/4 cup icing sugar

1/4 cup sunflower oil

Blend all ingredients until creamy. Chill before serving.

It probably not worth the cost but you can buy whipped cream canisters from coffee supply web sites and probably specialty cooking stores. I work at a coffee bar and this is what we use, although not for vegan whip. They are easy to use, just put in your ingredients screw on the lid and add a nitrous charger.

http://www.aabreecoffee.com/itemImages/778/1562Large.gif

http://www.aabreecoffee.com/ItemImages/779/1739Large.gif

It probably not worth the cost but you can buy whipped cream canisters from coffee supply web sites and probably specialty cooking stores. I work at a coffee bar and this is what we use, although not for vegan whip. They are easy to use, just put in your ingredients screw on the lid and add a nitrous charger.

Veddy interesting! (I guess I don't have THAT much of a jones for spray whipped cream, but if I ever do, I now know what to do about it!)

• 3 months later...

I would steer away from the whipped cream canister idea unless you can buy that sort of thing wholesale. The prices on nitrous cartridges are expensive due to the popular abuse of the substance for recreational purposes. As for myself, I used to work at a place that sold the cartridges and I would be loathe to even accidentally be associated with such people.

• 2 weeks later...