Muscle gain help for runner!!

Hotpot

Hi everyone, I am male, started to ride my bike to work (15 mile total) 2 months ago, and run average 25 miles a week. My weight drops from 180 lbs to 151 lbs, and my height is 5'5. My arms start to look skinny, chest starting to get flat, but still have alots of fat on stomach. Was off and on vegetarian since 2008 and turned vegan 4 months ago. Is it possible to gain muscle while I still runs and bike to work?

I have p90x program, pull up bar, bowflex dumbbell, but no bench. Should I just start p90x or find other full body workout with dumbbell? Something like this?

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-only-home-or-gym-fullbody-workout.html

Any help will be appreciate. Thanks

Hi Hotpot,

Take small meals instead of having big ones and load up on proteins. Drink more water than routine and do not eliminate fat entirely from your diet plan. Avoid eating shortly before going to bed and have proper sleep.

Sounds like you probably need to increase your calories a little to cover the training you're doing. Even just adding in a couple of extra small meals a day could bring your daily calories up by as much as 500cals (make sure you are consuming enough healthy fats as well ~ avocados, raw nuts, coconut oil etc). Also worth bearing in mind that with the amount that you are training with that biking and running you should be aiming to keep a reasonably high protein for a few reasons: 1) it will help to reduce the risk of injury 2) it should help preserve muscle mass 3) protein will help to facilitate optimal recovery (especially muscular) after exercise.

It wouldn't hurt you to add in some weights even if it's just once or twice a week; although you can use weights in a functional way to aid your running you could always just focus on those areas that you have noticed have atrophied. P90x seems to be a good workout, I have a few friends that got pretty good results from it and it's a nice concept that you can get it done without having to leave home to travel to a gym.

Let us know how you are getting on and anymore questions just shout out, cheers MF.

Hi Hotpot,

Take small meals instead of having big ones and load up on proteins. Drink more water than routine and do not eliminate fat entirely from your diet plan. Avoid eating shortly before going to bed and have proper sleep.

Thanks for the advice. I will eat more avocado and nuts for fat. Nut milk and peanut butter for protein.

Sounds like you probably need to increase your calories a little to cover the training you're doing. Even just adding in a couple of extra small meals a day could bring your daily calories up by as much as 500cals (make sure you are consuming enough healthy fats as well ~ avocados, raw nuts, coconut oil etc). Also worth bearing in mind that with the amount that you are training with that biking and running you should be aiming to keep a reasonably high protein for a few reasons: 1) it will help to reduce the risk of injury 2) it should help preserve muscle mass 3) protein will help to facilitate optimal recovery (especially muscular) after exercise.

It wouldn't hurt you to add in some weights even if it's just once or twice a week; although you can use weights in a functional way to aid your running you could always just focus on those areas that you have noticed have atrophied. P90x seems to be a good workout, I have a few friends that got pretty good results from it and it's a nice concept that you can get it done without having to leave home to travel to a gym.

Let us know how you are getting on and anymore questions just shout out, cheers MF.

Thanks for the advice. I've been eating lots of rice and grain for calories and starting to add dried fruits on the diet. I didn't start p90x instead I did some upper body workout with dumbbells. Try to maintain 5 days a week with only 20 minutes included abs for 3 times a week.

Do I need leg workout since I do bike and run?

Hey, what exercises are you doing for upper body with dumbbells? And sorry, but what was your workout plan going to look like? Was it weights 5 times a week?

You certainly can put on muscle, especially if you are just getting into weigh lifting. Try to eat over maintenance however, as gaining muscle will be extremely tough if you are eating below your caloric maintenance, especially with all the cardio you do.

Have you considered joining a gym? Is that a possibility?

Hey, what exercises are you doing for upper body with dumbbells? And sorry, but what was your workout plan going to look like? Was it weights 5 times a week?

You certainly can put on muscle, especially if you are just getting into weigh lifting. Try to eat over maintenance however, as gaining muscle will be extremely tough if you are eating below your caloric maintenance, especially with all the cardio you do.

Have you considered joining a gym? Is that a possibility?

I follow this guy on YouTube. 24 hours fitness is only one block away. I dont plan to get a membership yet, because i only went 4 days last 2 time i joined. I have a pair of bowflex adjustable dumbbells which I haven't use for a while, don't want to waste it.

So here is what I did the first 3 days. I will repeat it so total 6 days workout, 5 days biking (only for working), 4 days running ( maybe 5 days with more mileage), 2 days leg, 3 days abs.

Day 1-

Chest workout, I did 3 set each instead of 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEdntNlT2-E

Shoulder workout, 3 sets each

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcfxIDdZIvw

Abs-3 sets of 30 reps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRRig05SV1o

Run 3.5 miles

Bike 15 miles for work.

Day 2

Triceps- 3 sets each

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW9B_Wd6cW0

Biceps- 3 sets each

Run 4.5 miles trail

Bike 15 mile

Day 3

Abs- 3 sets of 30 reps.

Calves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJ-gurIdlM

Legs- 3 sets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqnl3BPFry8

Bike-15 miles

Yes it is possible to gain muscle while running/biking. Make sure to eat enough calories.

P90x is a good program and is also adjustable.. ie. you can add weight to make the workouts more challenging. So it is definitely a good way to get started.

I would recommend including leg exercises (squats, lunges) to complement your biking... ie. biking and running will primarily work slow twitch muscle.. (ie. high rep, low weight), so in your workouts you will want to target fast twitch by doing lower reps with heavier weight.

It's just hard to gain muscle when your weekly running distance climbs, biking appears to be somewhat easier to preserve muscle. Definately need to be aware of increasing your calories, to compensate for the energy expenditure from the runs as well as your recovery time afterwards (elevated HR for a number of hours after your run equates to a higher than normal amount of calories being burnt).

Ideally I would train legs, you just have to find exercises that don't interfere with your cardio. I drop squats when I'm running as I don't want to risk having DOMS, but I don't tend to get any DOMS from exercises like leg presses, leg extensions, SLDL's, GM's etc etc. It's a little bit trial error and finding out what works for you.

Keep up the good work though, nice training MF.

Yes it is possible to gain muscle while running/biking. Make sure to eat enough calories.

P90x is a good program and is also adjustable.. ie. you can add weight to make the workouts more challenging. So it is definitely a good way to get started.

I would recommend including leg exercises (squats, lunges) to complement your biking... ie. biking and running will primarily work slow twitch muscle.. (ie. high rep, low weight), so in your workouts you will want to target fast twitch by doing lower reps with heavier weight.

Thanks for th advice. I think I eat more than 2500 daily now. seems like i don't even get a chance to get hungry now, lol. I am using pretty light weight since I just start but will definitely going add more weight for less reps.

It's just hard to gain muscle when your weekly running distance climbs, biking appears to be somewhat easier to preserve muscle. Definately need to be aware of increasing your calories, to compensate for the energy expenditure from the runs as well as your recovery time afterwards (elevated HR for a number of hours after your run equates to a higher than normal amount of calories being burnt).

Ideally I would train legs, you just have to find exercises that don't interfere with your cardio. I drop squats when I'm running as I don't want to risk having DOMS, but I don't tend to get any DOMS from exercises like leg presses, leg extensions, SLDL's, GM's etc etc. It's a little bit trial error and finding out what works for you.

Keep up the good work though, nice training MF.

Maybe I can gain strength instead of muscle then? As long as I don't lose too much weight is fine. Running help release stress and I like the feeling after I long run. I choose running over muscle...

By the way, I do eat a lot of white rice. Is it bad?

• 1 month later...

Hotpot, if you want to look like Hugo, get on the gear and sell your bike. Do you think he is natty? LOL! Hey nothing wrong with using gear if people want to do that but don't be naive and think he got that size just doing 'special lifting roudeens'.

If you don't want to look like a cyclist then STOP CYCLING. Cycling will lean you the F out. Just look at any pro cyclist.

Cycling is a weight LOSS sport, not a weight GAIN sport. Stick with heavy weights if you want to get big and strong.