Rob's High Intensity Training Log

9-8-15

Chest / back

1. Pec deck - stack (110kgs) + training partner applying manuel resistance to the top of the stack x one static hold to fail

immediately followed by...

2. Seated converging chest press machine - stack (130kgs) x 3 reps to fail + two negatives

3. Close grip palms up pulldowns - 100kgs x one set to failure + one static hold to failure

4. Seated cable row - 95kgs to failure

12-8-15

Legs / abs

1. Power squat machine - 150kgs x one set to failure + 120kgs x one set to failure

2. Calf presses - static + training partner applying manuel resistance x 2 sets to failure

3. Static crunch performed on a pulldown machine and using ab slings x 1 set to failure

Ive been in the gym am at now for several weeks and didnt even realise theres a power squat machine, was nice a change, no knee or back pain:)

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Chris,

I use a technogym Bent arm version, ive my training partner help in into the fully contracted position, he then presses down on the top of the weight stack to add additional resistance, I statically hold the resistance until am no longer able to hold the contraction and my arms slowly begin realise, my training then turns his attention to helping me lower the resistance to the bottom.

You'd be surprised Chris at how much resistance you can maximal contract against, using a full range of motion greatly restricts how much your actually capable of contacting against. Some people hate this type of training, they like the sense of achievement they get from moving a given weight from A to B, but as Mike Mentzer told me "the purpose of a bodybuilder is not merely to lift weights, that is the purpose of a powerlifter or strongman, the goal of the bodybuilder, is to achieve high intensity muscular contractions".

The former IFBB pro Milos Sarcev also cued in on this back in the early 90s, he said "if you merely want to lift heavy weights from A to B, then get a job in construction, at least that way you'll get paid for your efforts, however if your goal is to increase your muscular size and strength, then you must focus purely on contracting your muscles to the max".

Give it a go mate:)

So me and my wife have decided to relocate and have purchased a house in a pretty remote part of the country side, we'll be in within the next few months, given how far ill be from the nearest well equipped gym, ive decided to kit the double garage out with powertec equipment (leverage squat / calf raise machine, muliti press with preacher curl, leg extension / leg curl and pec deck flye attachments), I also already have a ton of free weights aswell, so should be well sorted. I may look into a leverage leg press as well, gotta see how the finances are lol. Looking forward to being to play my own music and not having to look at the fake over groomed posers in their string vests (geordie / jersey shore wanta bes).

Anyho, off ta train legs now:(

I know mate, cant wait to get moved, unfortunately theres no woods, but when ill open my window, I see nothing but green fields and mountains:)

Im actually going to be only 2 miles from a town called Donaghadee (with survival expert Bear Grylls was born)....I know, youll sleep better knowing that;)

Have a great weekend

Rob

Sounds heavenly man, I'm really jealous! I'd love to see fields of green and mountains, especially trees, when I open my windows. Unfortunately, it's just other homes, exactly like ours, and power lines.

Someday soon though buddy. Have a good weekend!

I know mate, cant wait to get moved, unfortunately theres no woods, but when ill open my window, I see nothing but green fields and mountains:)

Im actually going to be only 2 miles from a town called Donaghadee (with survival expert Bear Grylls was born)....I know, youll sleep better knowing that;)

Have a great weekend

Rob

Someone told me that bear grylls was from Brading here on the Isle of Wight :s

EDIT:

Just looked it up, yeah he was born in Donaghadee but moved to Bembridge, Isle of Wight when he was 4 aha. Weird coincidence :P

Nice produce day off, had a good shoulder, arm & calf workout this morning, then spent the afternoon cooking. Made a super spicy red lentil soup/stew, a blueberrie, walnut and banana oatmeal bake, stuffed red peppers with beans, brown rice and veggies, energy balls and a avocado chocolate mousse. Trying to introduce some tasty vegan meals and snacks into my familys menu, so far so good, they all give the thumbs up:)

• 2 weeks later...

Last few workouts...

1-9-15

Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

Decline smith machine bench press

120kgs x 3 cluster sets of 3 reps each*

Machine shoulder press (palms facing each other)

80kgs x 4 cluster sets of 3 reps each*

Power pushdowns (straight rotating bar)

47.5kgs x 2 sets of 6 reps

2-9-15

Back / Biceps

Underhand pulldown

105kgs x 1 set to failure + static hold to failure

Bent over two arm DB rows

2 x 42.5kgs x 2 sets of 6 reps

2 x 40kgs x 2 sets of 6 reps

Machine curl (incline version)

77.5kgs x 3 rest pause static holds of 10 seconds per hold (10 seconds between each hold)

4-9-15

Legs

Leverge leg press

400kgs x 3 cluster sets of 3 reps + static hold to failure

Calf press

Stack + training partner applying manual resistance x 6 cluster sets of 3 reps

DB SLDL

2 x 45kgs x 2 sets of 6 reps

* 10 seconds between each cluster set

Hey Chris,

Still not out in the sticks yet mate, waiting on the solicitors getting the paperwork finalised, hopefully in another months or so, and as soon as am there ill get on to putting a sexy gym together, cant wait:))

The chocolate and avocado mouse recipe is on the deliciously ella youtube channal, its avocados, banana, dates, nut nutter, and cacao, its da bomb:)

7/9/15

TORSO

1. Underhand Pulldowns - 90kgs x 2 working high rep sets

superset

2. Decline Smith Machine Bench Press - 110kgs x 2 working high rep sets

2 minute rest

3. Seated Cable Row - 80kgs x 2 working high rep sets

superset

4. Converging Shoulder Press Machine (palms facing) - 65kgs x 2 working high rep sets

9/9/15

ARMS / LEGS

1. BB Drag Curl (wide grip with rotating sleeve on bar) -30kgs x 2 working high rep sets

superset

2. Power Pushdowns - 40kgs x 2 working high rep sets

2 minute rest

3. Leverage Leg Press - 300kgs x 2 working high rep sets

superset

4. D-B Stiff Legged Deadlift - 2 x 40kgs x 2 working high rep sets

Great workouts, the high rep sets were "rhythmical / piston" style reps not fully stretching, and not fully locking out, just constant tension, got a hellva pump! All working sets were just sky of failure.

Cheers Chris, and you too mate:)

Wee tip for the drag curls...

Use a slightly lesser weight than you would for traditional bb curls, and focus on really flexing the biceps at the top of the movement, i also like to lean very slightly forward at the waist, get a better contraction than standing fully upright I find.

Happy biceps blasting:)

So back to training tonight after a 7 day layoff, decided to really go for it max contraction style...

Chest / Shoulders / Triceps

1. Pec Deck (110kgs + training partner providing manuel resistance by pressing down on the stack) x static hold to failure + 90kg drop set to failure

2. Cable Crossover (100kgs) x static hold to failure + 80kg drop set to failure

3. Machine Lateral Raise (80kgs) × static hold to failure + 60kg drop set to failure

4. One Arm Rope Extension (30kg) x static hold to failure + 25kg drop set to failure

Cracking workout! Short n sweet. All holds were held into the fully contracted postion, next up willbe back, biceps, rear delts and abs...cant wait:)

20-9-15

Omega set back & biceps workout...

Underhand pulldown ( weight held in the poistion of max motor arm for the lats )

Machine shrugs

Low back machine

Machine curl

24-9-15

Omega set Legs

Leg Extension

Seated leg curl

Inner and outer thigh machines

Standing calf raise machine

Though brutal, am loving the Max contraction training and omega set training, workouts are literally taking a mere 10-12, minutes to complete (keep in mind that intensity and duration coexist on an inverse ratio). Omega set training is as John Little (the creator of MCT) states "the last word" in intensity, its were you take a muscle into its fully contracted poistion and employ maximal resistance in that poistion, when the contraction can no longer be sustained, youll began to lower the weight fighting it all the way, once the load has lowered several inches, your training partner/s help you bring the resistance back into the fully contracted position, this is repeated several more times, essentially, the muscle is made to maximally contract several times over. Such training methods must be experienced to be believed:)

Given that the energy output is greater with this training, ive reduce the freqency of my training again back to just once every 4-5 days (I may experiment by furthur reducing my training freqency). What got me thinking about omega set training was something Mike Mentzer said back in the early 80s, which was, "anything you do to make your training more intense, is a step in the right direction", and given that results are proportional to intense of effort (not volume), id say he was right on the money with that statement.

Diet wise, ive returned back to a higher carb eating plan (60% carbs / 25% pro / 15% fat), am also counting calories for the first time in a long time. My maintenance level of calories worked out at 4750, so given that im looking to drop bodyfat (currently 240lbs / 17% BF), ive reduce my caloires to 3750, that should equate to a weight loss of 2lbs per week, after two weeks ill began reducing my calories by 100 per fortnight. Slow and steady as she goes

Happy training

Rob

29-9-15

Full body MCT workout of sorts...

1. Underhand pulldown (held at chin level)

130kgs x 2 max static holds -but not to failure

2. Weighted negative only dips

bw (243lbs) + 30kgs x superslow negative only reps - not to failure

3. Leverage leg press

420kgs x 2 max static holds - but not to failure (resistance held in the position of max motor arm)

Great abbreviated workout, was completely wreck lol...

So after just a few days of increasing my carb intake, I was bloated as f#$k, and feeling really lethargic and shity, so I ditched that idea and have gone back to my high fat / ample protein / low carb diet again, within one day I felt much better, ive also resorted back to include some fish, eggs and full fat dairy in my diet again

What I ate today...

8.30am

4 large omega 3 enriched egg vegatable omelette / cooked in coconut oil

macadamia nuts

blueberries

1pm

full fat feta cheese

walnuts

baby beetroot

santini tomatoes

2 tbs of high quality extra virgin oilve oil

6.30pm

Smoked haddock cooked in butter

steamed greens

10pm

Full fat greek style yoghurt with a scoop of whey protein mixed in

Lentils, beans and grains are pretty much off my menu, much as I love them, my body rejects them, and given that my body does better on a high fat / low carb diet, this is why ive brought the non vegan foodstuffs back in, however there will be no farmed meat!!

You sure you're eating enough man? I can't do beans anymore either (lentils are ok), they really mess me up. I get super bloated out of nowhere. Don't have the same issue with tempeh though, which I eat pretty much every day.

Are you able to find Just Mayo over there? It's an American product (egg/dairy-less mayonnaise), which came under fire by the animal based mayonnaise industry for not really being "mayonnaise." An embarrassing story. Nevertheless, it is great in salary dressings. Lately I've been using the garlic flavored one to make . . .

Vegan Ranch Dressing: 1tbsp garlic Just Mayo, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon dill.

and...

Vegan Caesar Dressing: 1 tbsp garlic Just Mayo, 1 tsp apple cider vinegar, 1 tbsp vegan parmesan.

The Caesar dressing is amazing. Just Mayo also makes a Chipotle and Sriracha version. Both excellent.

Otherwise man looks like you're still cracking!

Hi Chris,

Yes mate, did do much that day bar a stroll with the misses, it was2800 cals, with only 380 of those coming from carbs.

I actually never use mayo, for salad dressing, I love some good quality extra virgin olive oil and a wee splash of balsamic vinegar , but those suggestions sound good dude.

Cheers

Rob

PS - HAPPY BIRTHDAY mate:)