Rob's High Intensity Training Log

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wee update,

Had to take a 9 day layoff due to having a fecken chest infection, but have been feeling a good bit better since Sunday, so got my first tonight. Just went moderately heavy, but didnt take long though before I was busted, its gonna take a while before ill be back at were I was. Might take another week or so off, let nature take its course.

Had to alter my eating schedule, been eating just 3 times per day, 2 shakes (protein, good fats and fruit), plus one main solid food meal. Thats all I could stomach. Fingers cross, hopefully back to normal soon enough. Life just loves ta through a spanner in the works lol. Oh well, back to my spaghetti western marathon, just cleared a fist full of dollars, for a few dollars and now am on to my favourite movie of all time...the good, the bad and the ugly, might even through on once upon a time in the west:))

• 2 weeks later...

Last 2 weeks....

Been training, but my goal has taken a u turn, decided to go on a power phase (if am to be honest i dont really give a shit about having a 6 pack). Believe it or not, an all barbell program (inspired by a good friend from Berlin whom came and stayed with me for a few days - hes a strength & conditioning coach).

Training 3 days per week,

Workout A

1. Squats

2. Chins

Workout B

1. Bench press

2. Bent over row

Workout C

1. Rack deadlift

2. Standing press

- Just 6 key lifts

- can salt in a curl for biceps or a pullover press for triceps

- using a host of variables (volume, intensity etc)

- No longer training to failure

Loving the program, no back issues what somever, my friend Hendrick taught me a different version of the squat, I'd always been lead to believe that when squatting the head and chest should be up, I now keep my head and chest down and am better able to drive through the hips with no back pain.

Anyho, with regards to diet I'm eating 3 and on training days 4 times per day, all big meals. Focusing more on whole foods and shooting for only around 120-130 grams of protein per day. Personally I dont see any difference whether I consume 300 grams of protein vs 200 grams vs 120 grams, bar the higher protein approach give me a host of stomach issues and cost more.

Hope everyones well, have a great weekend

Rob

17-3-16

LOW BAR BB SQUAT

60kgs x 5 reps

80kgs x 5 reps

100kgs x 3 reps

120kgs x 3 reps

147.5 x 5 reps*

120kgs x 6 reps*

STANDING OVERHEAD BB PRESS

50kgs x 5 reps

60kgs x 5 reps

70kgs x 3 reps

85kgs x 5 reps*

75kgs x 5 reps*

BENT OVER BB ROW

60kgs x 5 reps

80kgs x 5 reps

100kgs x 3 reps

125kgs x 5 reps*

90kgs x 10 reps*

*working sets

Thankfully my back is playing ball, I got myself a proper belt and some lifting shoes, seem to help. Using the starting strength set up, but I prefer to shoot for just one main working set of 5 with a slightly lighter working set of in and around 8-10 reps. Feels good. Looking forward to the next workout, Squat, bench and rack deads:)

• 2 weeks later...

And we're back...

Been training 4 days on and one day off of late, focusing on the squat one workout, then bench, then deadlifts and then standing military presses. Been adding a little assistance work after each of those main lifts. Still shooting for just the one main set of 5 with a back off set of 8-10 reps. My back is the strongest its been in years, still get mild pain now and then but its miles from where it was, if 2 years ago I had have put 155kg barbell on my back I would have collapsed on the floor, yet last night I squatted that weight for 5 good deep reps. Good times:) Up on all lifts at the momment, however ill deload when a plateau is reached.

Diet is much the same, 3 monster sized meals a day + a snack. Today is me and my wifes 19 wedding anniversary, so we're heading out to a vegan restaurant I like, hopfully soon am bloody Hank Marvin:)

Hope everyone had a good Easter

Rob

Bench day....

60kgs x 5 reps

80kgs x 5 reps

110kgs x 8 sets of 5 reps (3minutes between each set)

Then pec deck flye machine

One main set to failure

Thats all she wrote, enjoyed a change of pace today with the higher volume / lighter load on the bench. Felt it mostly in the triceps though, not surprising really given that the main function of the pecs is to draw the arm across the sternum, hence the need for a flye movement.

A few weeks back I began wrapping my thumbs around the bar and with that began to develop shoulder pain, today I went back to using a thumbless grip, low and behold, no shoulder pain:)

Yesterday's workout was squats, worked up to 8 sets of 5 reps @130kgs (3minutes between each set), followed up with one main set of leverage leg presses and calf presses to failure.

Diet, much the same, just need to lay off the fecken coke, love that shit:(

Tomorrow's workout, Deadlifts, chest supported rows and weighted pull ups:)

Spoke too bloody soon, on the second rep of my first working set of deads today, my low back decided to go, I dropped the bar and abandoned the workout. That was several hours ago, backs killing me and am walking like a duck lol, ive had to take some strong pain killers for the first time in a long time for f**k sake. Should have known better, I dont have the structure for deadlifts. Oh well, looks like the machines will rise up again.

Well, spent all of today drugged off my tits, painkillers, anti inflammatory's, muscle relaxants and heat patches, can barely walk with the pain. Went to my doctor this morning, he thinks ive aggravated one of my 3 herniated dics. Rest and drugs was the recommendation. Frustrated as hell, especially since my back had been feeling really good. As soon as it begins ease ill do a little walking, then on my return to training am definitely going to go back to my all machine workouts, focusing on iso tension with moderately heavy weights. The barbell training will just have to be put on ice for a while. Diet wise, am going to go with intermittent fasting, aids recovery better and helps with inflammation, drinking lots of water aswell. Only ate 2 small meals today (the drugs are making me feel sick and lethargic).

Anyho, time to hit the hay.

Ah mate I know, I hate those drugs too. They always make me so messed up serotonin-wise for days after. Never really liked deadlifts at all. Felt they were awkward to pull off, and could never really draw up much weight. Plus, with any significant weight you're just one false move away from serious injury. I just don't like them.

Yeah I took a risk with them, tried a different way of doimg them - kept the hips low, didnt pay off. Id done them previously with the hips high relying more on the rear chain, which caused no issues, but going forward id rather be safe than drugged up and sorry lol. Bought a copy of Drew Baye' project kratos (high intensity bodyweight training program), youve opened up a new can of worms now:))

Thankfully my back has eased up a good bit over the last few days, got back to training this morning...yeppeee:)

Took things real easy, slow and controlled cadance with smooth none explosive turnarounds.

1. Hip belt squats

2. Hip belt calf raises

3. Glute and ham raises

4. TRX inverted rows (hat tip to Chris for his recommendation)

5. BW Dips

6. BW negative only palms facing chins

7. Push up bars (bars shoulder width apart)

After warm ups I performed two working sets just shy of failure, zero back issues:)))))

on an interesting side note, I was reading some research carry out in Canada with regards to barbell rows vs inverted rows, in conclusion, the researchers found there was 60% more lat activation with the inverted row over the BB row, not to mention a great deal less spinal stress with the interved row to boot.

Enjoyed todays workout, weighted bodyweight movements look like the direction ill be moving in. Ill probably experiment with some splits.

Movements ill focus on...

Chest / shoulders / triceps

- dips

- push ups

Back / rear delts / biceps

- chins

- inverted rows

- weighted back extension

Legs

- hip belt squats

- hip belt calf raises

- bulgarian split squats

- glute and ham raises

Nice! gotta be more activation through overall better form, no?

According to the paper, the barbell row provide the stress symmetrically across the entire back, the inverted row on the other hand focused more on the lats...plus cause a sufficient amount of less stress on the spine itself. The other row that was tested was the standing one arm cable row, with it the lat activation was much lower due to the limitations of torsion. Goggle Waterloo University Canada, inverted row, the head researcher involved in the study Dr Mcgill is regarded as one of the worlds leading experts in spinal biomechanics.

• 2 weeks later...

22-4-16

Leverage leg press

Inverted TRX rows

Weighted dips

DB SLDL

19-4-16

Leverage leg press

Chins

Superslow push up bars

DB SLDL

Abbreviated training, after a low rep warm up set or two, each movement was preformed for one set to vanilla failure, with the exception of the stiff legged deadlift. On chins and dips, ill toss in some negatives with I reach positive failure.

Diet wise, same old, same old, nothing fancy. Started intermittent fasting here and there again, eating light throughout the day then feasting at night.

Back being feeling a lot better thankfully, however am still wary to be careful.

Anyho, have great weekend:)

27-4-16

1. Seated leg press machine

Stack (500lbs) + manual resistance applied by training partner x 2 static holds to failure

2. Seated chest supported row machine

130kgs x one set of 8 reps failure, 10 second rest pause, the a static hold to failure

3. Chest press machine

140kgs x 7 rest pause reps to failure (5 seconds between each rep) + 2 superslow negatives

4. BB Curl

40kgs x 5 cluster sets of 3 reps (10 seconds between each cluster)

5. Pushdowns

55kgs x 10 reps to failure

6. DB SLDL

2x50kgs x 10 reps to sub failure

Took a 5 day layoff, due to working long hours and a f**ked up sleeping pattern. Todays workout was a gym that had Life Fitness equipment, probably the worst equipment ever made. But hey, I guess all that matters is the intensity of effort put fourth.

Diet wise, things are going well,, I fast 16hrs daily with an 8hr feeding window. Eating a lot of crap at the minute, I tend to do that when working long hours, but its causing no issues, am actually getting leaner lol.

Anyho, hope everyone is doing good

Best

Rob

29-4-16 Max contraction legs

Leg extension

125kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

152.5kgs x one omega set to failure

Prone leg curl

65kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

82.5kgs x one omega set to failure

Abduction machine

120kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

145kgs x one omega set to failure

Adduction machine

Calf presses

160kgs x 1 set of 5 reps

200kgs x 1 static hold to failure

1-5-16 Max contraction upper body

Static parallel grip chins

BW x 3 cluster sets of 3 reps

BW x 2 static holds to failure

Machine shrugs

120kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

160kgs x 2 static holds to failure

Pec deck flye

Machine lateral raise

70kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

90kgs x one omega set to failure

Preacher curl machine (placed the handles on my wrist for better biceps isolation)

55kgs x 3 cluster sets of 5 reps

72.5kgs x one omega set to failure

Pushdowns

55kgs x 5 cluster sets of 5 reps (last cluster to failure)

*10 second rest pause between each cluster

** omega set - hold the resistance in the fully contracted position, once you began to fail the weight will slowly drop, when it drops a few inches, you training partner helps you back into the fully contracted position, this is repeated 3-4 times.

*** Trained in a fasted state both workouts

What I ate today...

wake at 8.30am

2pm Subway black coffee w/ 3 oatmeal cookies

6pm Spanish rice and mixed beans / bottle of coke

9pm Morroccan dish with sweet potatoes, raisins, vegetables and chickpeas / non dairy coconut gelato ice cream

All told, it was just under 3000 calories

8-5-16

Max contraction LEGS

1. Leverage leg press

400kgs x 6 slow controlled non lockout reps to failure

2. Calf press machine

250kgs x 6 reps to failure (5 second hold in the contraction position each rep)

3. Seated calf machine

70kgs x static hold to failure

6-5-15

Max contraction Back & Biceps

1. Parallel grip pulldown (held in the position of maximum motor arm of the lats)

130kgs x 2 static holds to failure

2. Hammer shrug

180kgs x 5 reps to failure ( 2 second hold in the contraction position )

3. Rear delt reverse pec deck flye

65kgs x 2 static holds to failure

4. Preacher curl machine

65kgs x 2 static holds to failure

4-5-16

Max contraction Chest, Shoulders & Triceps

1. Pec deck

155kgs x 1 omega set to failure

2. Machine lateral raise

90kgs x 2 static holds to failure

3. Power pushdowns

60kgs x 8 reps to failure

supersetted with

4. Machine dips

130kgs x 6 reps to failure

Went back to a 3 way split so that intensity and overload can be maximised. Each workout was completed in 15-20 minutes (damn plate loaded machines:)

Current bodyweight is 235lbs @ 6'4, bodyfat is id say in the early teens....continue to eat whatever the hell I like:)

Was listening to a cracker David Landau interview over on coperate warrior the other day, heard one of the BEST pieces of dietary advice ive ever heard, he said "Whenever you hear a word or phrase before the word diet, put one hand on your gun, one hand on your wallet, then run for your life". Brilliant advice!!

11-5-16 MAX CONTRACTION UPPER BODY

1. V-Bar Pulldown (resistance held in the position of maxuim motor arm of the lats)

140kgs x 1 static hold to failure

120kgs x 1 static hold to failure*

2. Converging Chest Press Machine (resistance held in the position on maxuim motor arm)

130kgs x 1 static hold to failure

110kgs x 1 static hold to failure*

3. Machine Lateral Raise

95kgs x 1 omega set to failure

4. Machine Curl

80kgs x 1 omega set to failure

*Drop set

Took an extra rest day after the last leg workout, afterwards i'd some BCAA's and glucose. Lunch was battered onion rings and chickpea battered mushrooms with a creamy cashew dip, washed down with coke....mmmmm:)

Breakfast / pre workout was a strong black bulletproof coffee and 3 homemade protein oatmeal and raisin cookies + an omega 3 supplement. Dinner was great, sat out on the patio basking in the sun, had sweet chilli wedges, spicy chickpea burgers and strawberries with whipped coconut cream (powdered sugar mixed in) tasty tasty tasty:))) Love cooking on my day off work.

Been training every day this week, did legs today, back and chest tomorrow. Still kicken it max contraction style, working a treat, size and improvements are taking place, hit a 450kg leg press today for 3 ten second max holds.

LOL, when in the gym today, one gym "instructor" said to me in quite an ignorant tone "your suppose to unlock the leg press as you lift off", I replyed "I keep the lock on, I statically hold the resistance an inch or two from the lock so as when I fail it doesnt drop on me", he said "oh right, and looked at me like id horns" he then said "why just hold it, why not ligthen the load and go deeper", I replied " physiologists discovered a long time ago that time and metabolic tension are whats important, not how many times you lift, swing, throw, or jerk something up and down" I finnished by saying "now, havent you got some kettlebells to swing, your cramping ma style".

Ive had this before, when doing max contraction pulldowns a week ago, someone said "whats that for, your grip?", he was a bit nicer and seemed sincere, so I explained the theroy, he came up to me a few days later and said "here mate, I tried that static stuff, its f**ken awesome, wish id of knew about it years ago". Im just amazed with people in the gym these days, why would anyone want to spend hours in the gym everyday when BETTER results can be had in less time and with a lot less wear and tear on your body? I can only imagine its out of boredom.

Lol dude knowing your height and size I'd have held my tongue. He's probably wishing you were a client, as I've found most trainers to be bored with the "regular" clients. Looks like you're training huge as always brother. Hope you're doing well otherwise.

Hey bud, nah, think he was a "form nazi", thou must use granny weights through an exaggerated range of motion lol. Yes mate doing good, ma back is in good shape and feelin good. Country life is going well too, especially since we're getting some nice weather this last week:)

Hi Hobbs,

Yes that book and the advanced max contraction training are very good, in the first one John explains the theory and the science behind it, the advanced MCT book talks more about recovery, physiological barriers, and the omega set. The Q&A's at the back of both books are very good.

Theres a couple of cracking interviews with the creator John Little, one on high intensity nation and on a golfing site called life in the rough. Unfortunately the MCT site was took down aswell as the max contraction video. There is however a later variation of MCT called max pyramid protocol on youtube, they demonstrate the pulldown, leg press, pushdown and curl at Johns Nautilus North facility in Canada. Nautilus North also have a good facebook page, regularly putting up research supporting HIT and diet fallacies.

If you also check out Drew Baye's HIT site, theres some good articles on MCT and an interview with John Little.

Hope this helps, and if I can be of any furthur assistance just shout:)

Rob