Rob's High Intensity Training Log

1/7/16 (12AM)

1. Parallel grip static pulldown

130kg stack + 20kg plate attached to stack x 3 several second max static holds*

2. Seated dip machine (seat belted in)

152.5kg stack + 20kg plate attached to stack x 6 slow controlled rest pause rest pause reps to failure**

3. Machine arm curl

95kg stack x 3 several second max static holds*

3/7/16 (1AM

1. Leverage leg press

460kgs x 3 several second max static holds*

2. Plate loaded standing calf raise

150kg x 3 several second max static holds*

3. Low back machine (seat belted in)

Stack (145kg) x 8 slow controlled reps (stopped a couple of reps shy of failure for safety reasons)

*15 seconds between efforts

**5 seconds between reps

Couple of good late night abbreviated workouts, happy with progress made.

Fasted most of today, then had a wee family BBQ tonight (I cooked my food first of course), had 2 huge bean burgers with all the trimmings and dairy free vegan ice cream...yum yum. My kinda grub:) portion control goes out the window on fasting days.

On a personal note, myself and my wife have been putting a plan in place to be retired by 42 (just turned 38), after I got a big inheritance last year, we bought a new house in the country, we also paid it off and now rent out our old house, but we've now just bought 2 more houses outright cheap in Belfast (30 miles from us), though they need a lot of work done to them, we'll be working on them for the next year or so. At the end of which, these houses will be for to re-home homeless people, paid for by the government. My wife has been working voluntarily with the homeless now for several months, she cooks / makes soups, stews and sandwiches, then brings them up to the city to an organisation that distributes it around the homeless.

Once "retired" (dont think I'll ever be truely retired), we spend time helping other less fortunate and do the things WE want to do with our lives, rather than working for "the man". My dream has also been to be to my own boss, finally, am within grasp!

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's an amazing, and very honourable thing to do! Well done to you both.

My wife and I are also trying like mad to make sure we're mortgage free as soon as possible, although we do still live in a 2 bed terrace on a rough street. My ideal would be to get a nice house in the country with enough room for me to grow veg, work out and brew beer.

She's currently looking for ideas to start her own business, and is keen to do something that pushes an ethical way of living.

Started training yet another new gym to train with a couple of good mates, this gym has a full line of plate loaded Matrix Mageum line, their very smooth and feel natural. For the time being, im following the routine my mates are using, a 3 way split.

Tonight we hammered legs with MCT leg extension supersetted with heavy leg presses (400kgs x 11 reps to failure, followed by two drop sets at 350kg, then 250kg, though I was going to hurl lol), hack squats, lying leg curls, Seated and standing calf raises.

Tuesday night was chest and arms, went with plate loaded supine incline presses, worked up to 140kgs for 2 sets of 6, then two drop sets after the 2nd set at 110kg and 80kg. Next up was the pec deck, followed by seated machine dips, stacked both machines for two sets of each. For biceps, I just went with the preacher curl machine, static hold to failure with the stack, followed by a drop set repping to failure, for tris it was machine triceps extensions, again, one main set tl failure followed up with a couple of drop sets.

Next workout wont be till Sunday, thatll be back and shoulders, the last time we train those it was one arm machine rows (90kg per arm), diverging pulldown machine, v bar pulldowns, plate loaded supine shoulder press machine and machine back extension.

Diets going good, eating big as aswells, admittedly a little dairy has creeped back into my diet, in my porridge I add a very small amount of grass fed unsalted butter, I also like a little skyr Icelandic yoghurt before bed.

Well, ya gotta warm up mate lol...

Yes mate, ma mates are hitters, two brothers, the eldest is one of my best mates, hes 20st with 11% bf @ 6'2, but he like the younger bother also stick needles in their asses lol, am not into that, the younger of the two is always trying to upsell me Dbol, Deca and test . No change in hell id ever take that shit, Ive had enough health problems for one lifetime lol.

Amen brother:))

One of my biggest inspirations in my teens was a female bodybuilder called Denise Rutkowski, she was the hottest thing in female bodbuilding in 93, goggle her and see what 20+ years of drug abuse can do. Its seriously shocking!

Been coaxed into a 4-way split by my training partners, this was the last rotation...

W/O A

CHEST / BICEPS / CALVES

1. Plate loaded supine incline press machine

160kgs x 6 reps to failure + 2 drop sets to failure @ 120kg then 80kg

2. Flat Bench DB Flye

2 x 40kg x 2 sets of 10, then 8 reps to failure

3. Machine Dips

Stack + 20kg disc attached x 2 sets of 10, then 9 reps to failure

4. BB Curl

50kg x 2 sets of 10, then 8 reps to failure

5. DB Hammer Curl

2 x 30kg x 2 sets of 12, then 10 reps to failure

6. Standing Calf Raise

120kg x 2 sets of 8, 7 reps to failure ( 2 second hold in the contracted position

W/O B

QUADS / HAMS

1. 45 Degree LP

400kg x 10 reps

430kg x 8 reps to failure

2. Hack Squat Machine

80kg x 2 sets of 10, then 8 reps to failure

3. Leg Extension

95kg x 2 sets of 12, 10 reps to failure

4. Seated Leg Curl

75kg x 2 sets of 10, last set to failure

5. Lying Prone Leg Curl

60kg x 2 sets of 8, last set to failure

W/O 3

SHOULDERS / TRICEPS / CALFS

1. Plate Loaded Shoulder Press Machine

120kg x 5 reps to failure, + 2 drop sets @ 80kg, then 40kg to failure

2. DB Lateral Raise

2 x 20kg x 2 sets of 8, last set to failure

3. Seated Front DB Lateral Raises

2 x 20kg x 2 sets of 10, then 9 reps to failure

4. Lying EZ Curl Bar Triceps Extension

55kg x 2 sets of 8 reps, last set to failure

5. Pushdowns

stack x 2 sets of 14, then 11 reps to failure

6. Seated Calf Raise

80kg x 2 sets of 12 and then 10 reps to failure

W/O 4

BACK

1. Parallel Grip Pulldown

95kg x 3 sets of 12, 12, 10 reps, last set to failure

2. One Arm Chest Supported Machine Row

90kg per arm x 2 sets of 10, 8 reps to failure

3. Stiff Arm Rope Pulldown

half stack x 2 sets of 15, then 13 reps to failure

4. Back Extension Machine

Stack x2 sets of 15, last set to failure

Currently using a 2 on, 1 off frequency. Having fun this weather:)

Tonights workout...

CHEST

2 warm up sets on an incline press machine with 60 and 80kgs

1. Pec Deck Flye

stack x 11 reps to failure + static hold to failure

SHOULDERS

1. DB Lateral Raise

2x20kg x 11 reps to failure

2. Machine Lateral Raise

stack x 8 reps to failure + static hold to failure

TRICEPS

1. Machine Triceps Extension

75kg x 10 reps to failure + static hold to failure

2. Pushdowns

Stack x 14 reps to failure

Switched thing up to suit myself, more of a focus on isolation movements. Only do the one movement for chedt, my chest grows like weeds in the summer, going to be putting more of a focus on my lateral head of my delts and arms going forward. Love the machine triceps extension, get a fantastic contraction on it. With the DB lateral raise, ive started bringing the DBs in front of me, a slight hitch at the bottom then drive the elbows up and turning the thumbs down. Really feel it in the delts big time. Before I would have had the DBs by my sides then lead with the forearm, no wonder they fatigued first.

Tomorrow ill hit my back, rear delts and biceps, most likely machine pullovers, chedt supported rows, DB read delt raises, preacher curl machine and DB Hammer curls.

Going forward, I dont think ill be including hack squats anymore, after my last leg workout they irritated my knees. Nor seated calf raises, imo their a worthless exercise.

LMAO, mate, if I ever need a farmhand you'll be the first I call:)

Yeah, have a garage full of equipment....and dont like it lol, been selling it off bit by bit, keeping my free weights, bars, plates etc. Always good to have those for when I cant be bothered with the hustle and bustle of a gym.

Yes, been doing a bit of property developing, ill be working for myself soon enough...and plan to be "retired" not long after. Dont think ill be ever retired, I need to be kept occupied, but ill be doing my own thing and not working for a system I no longer believe in (I work for the national health service). Its funny, we go to school to learn how to think, then your made to get a job in which your told what to do and how to think...by cocksuckers and ass kissers with attitudes. But, new pastures are greener....literally right outside my door lol.

How alls good with your good self mate

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Been sick as for the last week with gastroenteritis, lost 15lb in weight, but hopefully on the mend, been feeling a bit better today. Obviously no training, but plenty of thinking...

I've been experimenting with higher freqency training for several months now, I did experience better hypertrophy, but its come with a price, more sickness due to a weaker immue system and elbow tendinitis development. Going forward I think I'll go back to abbreviated training 2x per week again, with short bouts of high frequency training, followed by a layoff. Best of boths worlds.

Also bought a copy of Pauline Nordins figther diet for vegans, pretty good, the diet emphasises protein, greens and EFA's, with starchs and sugary fruit post and/or pre workout. Big fan of Pauline, advocates basic intense training and has an excellent physique. Anyway, hopefully back to training soon, Ill wait to am feeling bit more human again though lol.

Hi Mike, cheers bud, feeling more human now lol, back to my normal weight...

Got back to training last Thursday...abbreviated training

18-8-16

1. Weighted Dips

supersetted with

2. Incline bench Bilateral DB Rows

3. Alternate DB Curl

20-8-16

1. BB Squat

2. Calf presses

3. G&H Raise

22-8-16

1. Standing DB Presses

supersetted with

2. Parallel Grip Pulldown

3. Rear Delt Cable Flye

Next workout will be Leverage Leg Press, Standing one legged negative only calf raise and DB SLDL.

- Just 2 compound movements and one isolation movement per workout, upper body / lower body split. 2 working sets per movement (after warm ups), not to failure though.

Started my fighter diet last Friday, feeling good, focus is on lots of veggies, lean protein and EFA's with a little oat bran and starches salted in.

On none training days ive been doing a little HIIT, in the form of speed rope or mountian biking around the country lines.

Hey mate, Pauline Nordin knows her stuff, her products are a bit pricey, but still good, I got the vegan fighter diet and the fighter diet concept book, their very good. She believes in basic, heavy intense training with a diet thats rich in lean protein, good fats and a ton of veggies....like 1-3lbs a day.

Tonights leg workout...

Leverage leg press

1000lb x 5 rest pause reps to failure (2 deep breaths between reps / should have stopped on rep no.4)

800lb x 3 cluster sets of 3 (10 second rest pauses between cluster sets)

Calf Presses

Stack x 14 reps to failure / 10 second rest pause / 6 reps to failure

- my heaviest LP ever, am busted lol, ears are still ringing....

Last night...

Standing DB Presses (strict press)

2x34kg x 8

2x36kg x 2 sets of 5, 4

Bent Over Two Arm DB Row

2x38kg x 8

2x40kg x 2 sets of 8

Push Up Bars (feet up on bench)

BW x 4 clusters of 3 (cadance; 2 second positive / 4 second negative)

Negative only chins

BW x 2 sets of 8, 6 superslow negatives

-Forgot how good the good old push up is, especially with bars / less wrist strain and better stretch.

Hey bud, yeah turned a little beetroot, but it was controlled and deep:)

3-9-16

Leverage LP

850lb x 10 reps to failure (2 deep breaths between reps)

Weighted Dips

BW + 25kg x 9 reps to failure

Bilateral Overhand Hammer Row

160kg x 8 reps + 2 half reps to failure

Hammer Curl Machine

70kg x 8 reps to failure

Power Pushdowns

65kgs x 11 reps to failure

6-9-16

Standing Military Press

92.5kg x 4 reps

80kg x 7 reps

Diverging Machine Pulldown

105kg x 9 reps to failure (2 second holdmin the contracted position of each rep)

T-Bar Front Squats

60kgs x 2 sets of 8

Calf Presses

Stack x 5 mini cluster sets of 5 reps - last set to failure (10 seconds between clusters)

Hat tip to John for the T Bar Front Squats, left my legs like jelly, nice wee change:)

Jes, didnt think its been a week since I weighed in lol...

Been training at home this last week with Dumbbell & bodyweight only movements....

CHEST - Decline push ups - (feet up on a bench and using push up bars for a slightly better range and for less stress on the wrists, moreover, I turn the bars inward and keep the grip at shoulder width for better pec activation).

SHOULDERS - Standing DB Presses - Prefer these to the barbell version, feel them more in the lateral head, also preform them standing, the seated db press in more of a steep incline press imo.

TRICEPS - No direct work, the first two movements provide plenty of triceps stimulating

BACK - Underhand Chins and Bent Over Two Arm DB Rows, again, I prefer the DB version of the bent over rows, slight better range of motion / better contraction.

BICEPS - No direct work for the most part, but ill salt in the odd one arm preacher curl or hammer curl going forward

QUADS - Goblet Squat, doesn't irritate my back, plus wrecks the quads, followed up with DB Squats

HAMS- DB SLDL, here again, I prefer the DB version, no back irritation and more hamstring activation

CALVES - Standing One Legged Calf Raise, using enough weight to only get 5-6 reps, then im going straight into several negatives

- am taking 2-3 minutes between sets to maximise load

- Fighter diet has been going good, no bloating etc, getting leaner:) I see this as a sustainable diet.

Is the SLDL as in single leg deadlift? Those are pretty solid brother. Can really activate hamstring through that range of motion, and does wonders for accessory muscles re: increasing balance. Are you doing these to failure or a specific rep range? Tell me more about this fighter diet - I'M FULL OF FUCKING QUESTIONS! lol

Goblet squat is also excellent. You might also try what my trainer called the piledriver squat, which is holding the end of the DB in your hands (fingers interlaced around the grip bar), and squatting that way. I also liked loading up mass on a flat bar after shoving one end into the corner of the room and using that lever style. If you want something that really peaks heartrate and works biceps if you just get bored going preacher curls you could try a supinated curl straight into an overhead raise.

What made you decide to start training like this?

Hey Chris,

Its stiff legged deadlifts mate, cracken hamstring, glute and lower back movement. The piledriver sounds sexy lol, problem is ive developed tendinitis in my right elbow, so hammer grip movements are now officially out, even the supination bicep curl is irritating it. Im working in the 4-6 rep range, for 2-3 working sets, not to failure though. Following the advice of Pauline Nordin (fighter diet founder), heavy basic training is whats recommended.

The diet focuses on lots of veg (1-3lbs per day), EFA's, and lean protein, with starches post workout etc. So, its not a high carb diet, nor a keto diet.

Pauline was vegan herself, but now eats dairy, eggs and fish, But she has a vegan package which is very good. Im no longer strictly vegan anymore am afraid, ive have been eating wild salmon, Skyer yoguart (Icelandic grass fed, hormone free), grass fed hormone free whey and pastured free range eggs.

Have a great weekend mate:)

Rob

Have had to return back to the gym, much as im enjoying training at home, the dumbbells at the gym go up a good bit heavier than what ive got at home, but still on the same track, dumbbells and bodyweight movements....

Tonights workout....for fun, I did a unilateral DB only workout

One Arm DB Bench Press

50kg x 9 per arm

40kg x 15 per arm

One Arm DB Row

50kg x 12 per arm

40kg x 19 per arm

One Arm Standing Overhead DB Press

35kg x 7 per arm

25kg x 14 per arm

One Arm DB Preacher Curl

25kg x 7 per arm

20kg x 13 per arm

One Arm DB Kickbacks

17.5kg x 6 per arm

12.5kg x 15 per arm

One Legged Squat

30kg x 12 per leg

25kg x 14 per leg

One Legged Calf Raise

25kg x 10 per leg

20kg x 14 per leg

Just a bit of fun tonight, fancied something a wee bit different. I stopped just before failure on each set.

Diets going very well, bodyweight is 230lb of the button, ill get another bod pod test done soon enough to see were am at.