Rob's High Intensity Training Log

Hi Kora,

Hey thanks for the info, not a huge fan, but it should be a fun day out:)

Cheers

Rob

Not a big fan, huh...lol I can probably guess why not so I want ask. Despite how he got to where he is, he is a very knowledgeable man and very nice guy. Very dedicated to his methods of training. He's also pretty honest about it. I've heard good thing about his seminars you should enjoy it.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL, just more a fan of the natural physique and H.I.T methods Kora:)

Last time i went to a seminar was in 98 to see Dorian Yates, despite being a really down to earth guy, the seminar revolved mostly around the topic of steroids, i really got my eyes opened that day, i knew they took drugs, but not to the degree that Dorian explained, but back then the big name bodybuilding magazines wanted to keep a lid on the whole drug thing because the IFBB were really pushing to get into the Olympic's.

Anyway - Mr Priest was one of the first guys to speak out against the IFBB, so they banned him. Still, i don't think he cares, he seems happy doing his own thing.

Rob

Yesterdays workout was...

1. Underhand Pulldowns - one set to failure

2. Chest supported Row - 5 mini sets of 3 reps, with 10 second rest pauses between sets - last mini set to failure

3. Preacher Curl Machine - one set to failure

4. Weighted Prone Hypers 4 x 5 rep clusters, with 10 second rest pauses between mini sets - last mini set to failure

*exercises 1 & 3 also had 5-10 second rest pauses between reps.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for starting this journal and sharing all your info and videos on the HIT training.

It is fascinating and I am enjoying reading / watching the vids.

Can you recommend any more?

Tonight was my first attempt of training this way.

I hope your new gym works out well for you.

Dee

Hi Dee,

Thank you mate:)

When i first started reading about H.I.T back in the mid 90s, it was a real eye opener, in particular, the work of Mike Mentzer, he used the most objective language imaginable, it was like having a bucket of ice water thrown over ya. I would strongly recommend you read, watch and listen to his work.

There are some other very good H.I.T trainers/writers about, one being John Little (who was a close friend of Mikes), he has conducted research and has overseen something like 70,000 H.I.T workouts at his facility in Canada, hes also the founder of Max Contraction Training, a H.I.T method that i (and many others) have found to be a very productive technique. I don't recommend it exclusively as its a high stress technique, however its a great technique to have in your arsenal that can be salted into your training from time to time to really shake thing's up.

Here's the Max Contraction Training video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekJtCzRnD7E

Here's a brilliant interview JL did for high intensity nation a couple of years ago

http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011/01/high-intensity-interview-of-the-month-john-little/

This was one of the first articles of Mikes work i read...its called "bodybuilders are confused".

http://www.mikementzer.com/hdchap1.html

If you want more links or want me to elaborate more on the theory or a particular technique just let me know:)

Best Wishes

Rob

Hi Dee,

When i first started reading about H.I.T back in the mid 90s, it was a real eye opener, in particular, the work of Mike Mentzer, he used the most objective language imaginable, it was like having a bucket of ice water thrown over ya. I would strongly recommend you read, watch and listen to his work.

There are some other very good H.I.T trainers/writers about, one being John Little (who was a close friend of Mikes), he has conducted research and has overseen something like 70,000 H.I.T workouts at his facility in Canada, hes also the founder of Max Contraction Training, a H.I.T method that i (and many others) have found to be a very productive technique. I don't recommend it exclusively as its a high stress technique, however its a great technique to have in your arsenal that can be salted into your training from time to time to really shake thing's up.

Here's a brilliant interview JL did for high intensity nation a couple of years ago

http://www.highintensitynation.com/2011/01/high-intensity-interview-of-the-month-john-little/

This was one of the first articles of Mikes work i read...its called "bodybuilders are confused".

If you want more links or want me to elaborate more on the theory or a particular technique just let me know:)

Best Wishes

Rob

Thanks a million for this Rob. I'll have a good watch at the vids and google MM and get back for further discussion.

Cheers.

Dee

hey Rob, havent been on for a while just popped in to say hello good to see the HIT flag is still being flown!

mike

Hi Mike,

How's it going mate, and how's your training going?

Oh Yes, still shouten (H)it from the roof tops:)

Best

Rob

Hi Dee,

Best Wishes

Rob

Thanks a million for this Rob. I'll have a good watch at the vids and google MM and get back for further discussion.

Cheers.

Dee

Pleasure, look forward to hearing about your progress (and progress you will my friend

Best

Rob

It was the opening day of the new H.I.T gym today, called Elysium gym, went for a wee nosy, looks great. Unfortunately no Nautilus equipment, but not to worry, they've new model life fitness machines, both stack and plate loaded.

Just to reiterate, i'm a machine guy, i want none of my focus to be lost on balance and coordination (instability compromises overload). and they allow me to perform high intensity techniques such as static holds, as they provide full resistance in the contracted position. Machines have also allowed me to work around some injuries, in particular my lower back problems.

I am not deterred in the slightest by what the free weight traditionalists have to say, they'd have you believe that man has benefited from the industrial revolution in every way apart from in the arena of strength training!

One post i read recently on this forum stated "machines are typically useless compared to free weights when it comes to real world strength"

Hmm, I've mostly used machines for 20+ years, in that time i've become much stronger and bigger, and as a by-product, everyday tasks and other activities (such as martial arts training) have also become easier, is this not "real world strength"???

29-8-13

1. Leg extension - one set to failure

supperesetted with...

2. Seated Leg Presses - one set to failure

3. Lying leg curl - one set to failure

4. Standing calf Raise - one set to failure

2-9-13

New gym

1. Pec Deck - static hold to failure

supersetted with...

2. Seated plate loaded Incline press machine - one set to failure

3. Lateral Raise Machine - one set to failure

4. Seated Dip Machine - one set to failure

Love the new gym, its great to have a H.I.T gym on my doorstep, you can only book in for half hour slots, which is great, stops the gym from being over crowded, nothing worse than trying to workout in a busy gym, not to mention waiting on piece of equipment with some clown on it who's under the illusion they need to perform 5-10 sets per exercise.

So i've booked 10 sessions with the current Mr Northern Ireland BB Champion John Martini (hes also 8 weeks out from the Mr Universe), John's a Hitter through and through, its strange, apart from having several months of phone consultation's with Mike Mentzer, ive never had a trainer in my life.

So it'll be interesting to see what John comes up with, he was recently over at Temple Gym in Birmingham with Dorian Yates for a few workouts with him, said it was a great but very painful experience, i can imagine lol. First session tomorrow night..... Legs:(

So had my first workout with John Martini last night, the first thing i noticed about him was his legs/calfs, unbelievable development!

John's keeping me on the same split routine, and exercises i already perform (due to my injury history), however he's really upped the intensity!!

The workout...

CHEST

1. Incline D-B Flyes, one set to failure + 3 forced reps

2. Seated Incline Press Machine, one set to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 negatives (with added back force)

SHOULDERS

3. Seated D-B Lateral Raise, one set to failure + 2 forced reps + 2 standing cheat reps

4. Seated Shoulder Press press, one set of failure + 2 forced reps

TRICEPS

5. Triceps Press-down, one set to failure + 2 forced reps and one drop set

Done. 15 minutes of hell!!

For years i thought i was training in H.I.T, but i realize now i wasnt even close, this first workout has opened my eyes to the true meaning of the term H.I.T!

A few very good pointers John gave me-

1. On the shoulder press he had me perform the negative portion of the rep in superslow fashion, the difference it made was incredible, he explained that throwing a spanner in the works like that really gets the bodies attention.

2. Since i'm more focused on hypertrophy, he said to pre-exhaust every bodypart, he said starting each bodypart with a compound movement is great for strength, but for hypertrophy...pre-exhaust first (he himself pre-exhaust's everything, he said its made a huge difference).

Next workout wont be for 4-5 days, that'll be Back and Biceps...GULP:(

Heres a video of John, his 7-8 weeks out now from the Mr Universe

So i was in the gym tonight with my trainer sooner than i thought...

BACK

1. Pullover - one set to failure + 3 forced reps

2. Seated Chest Supported Rows - one set to failure + 2 forced reps and then 2 partial reps

3. Biceps Machine - one set to failure + static hold in the position of maximum motor arm

4. Weighted Back Extension - one set to failure

There was a 1-2 second hold in the contracted position of each movement.

Legs on Friday, cant wait for that one:))

Edited by HIT Rob

So just got done with my 3 workout with my trainer John Martini, had a throat infection last week, so we left it until today...

Legs

1. Leg Extension - one set to failure + forced and negative reps

2. Seated Leg Press - one set to failure + forced reps

3. Leg Extension - static hold to failure

4. Standing Leg Curl - one set to failure + forced reps

5. Lying Leg Curl - one set to failure + forced reps

6. Calf Presses - one set to failure + drop set to failure

One of the most painful workouts i've done in a long time, after training to failure and using intensifiers on the leg extension, the seated leg press was a real "pleasant" experience (not)! For me though, this workout was a little overkill, i could have done without exercise's 3 and 5. For me 3-4 movements per workout is sufficient.

Next workout is in 4-5 days time.

Tonight's workout with my trainer...

Chest / Shoulder / Triceps

Inline D-B Flye - (pre-exhaustion)

70kgs (total) x 8 reps to failure + 2 forced reps, then one drop set with 40kgs (total) to failure (4 second static hold in the stretched position)

Hammer Incline Press

140kgs x 5 reps to failure + 2 forced reps and 2 superslow negatives

Seated D-B Lateral Raises (Pre-exhaustion)

30kgs x 11 reps to failure + 2 half reps and 4 partials to failure

Smith Machine Shoulder Press

85kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

Cable Triceps Press-downs

stack x 12 reps to failure + 3 forced reps with superslow negatives

Another really good workout, was completed in 16 minutes, Chest, shoulder and triceps were toast, was up on everything.

23-9-13

Back - Biceps

1. Machine Pullover **

97.5kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps with increased resistance superslow negatives

2. Seated Chest Supported Row Machine*

105kgs x 6 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + Drop set with 80kgs to failure

3. D-B Shrugs

95kgs (total) x 15 reps to failure

4. Biceps Machine

67.5kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps with increased resistance superslow negatives

5. Weighted Back Extension*

BW + 20kgs x static hold to failure

**two warm-ups sets

* one warm-up set

Very happy with how my training and diet is going at the moment, am going up in weight and reps on every workout, I've decided to keep working with my trainer ongoing. Since beginning training with John, my recovery from workout to workout is better, I've more bounce in my step, am sleeping/resting better, and my lower back has been feeling pretty good as well. Legs on Friday, yeepee, my favorite...not

23-9-13

Back - Biceps

1. Machine Pullover **

97.5kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps with increased resistance superslow negatives

2. Seated Chest Supported Row Machine*

105kgs x 6 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + Drop set with 80kgs to failure

3. D-B Shrugs

95kgs (total) x 15 reps to failure

4. Biceps Machine

67.5kgs x 7 reps to failure + 2 forced reps with increased resistance superslow negatives

5. Weighted Back Extension*

BW + 20kgs x static hold to failure

**two warm-ups sets

* one warm-up set

Very happy with how my training and diet is going at the moment, am going up in weight and reps on every workout, I've decided to keep working with my trainer ongoing. Since beginning training with John, my recovery from workout to workout is better, I've more bounce in my step, am sleeping/resting better, and my lower back has been feeling pretty good as well. Legs on Friday, yeepee, my favorite...not

27-9-13

Legs

(warm-up) - seated leg press x 2 light/medium sets

1. Leg Extension

110kgs x 8 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

2. Seated Leg Press

180kgs x 17 reps to failure + 5 rest pause reps

3. Standing Leg Curl

37.5kgs x 10 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

4. Seated Leg Curl

80kgs x 9 reps to failure + static hold to failure

5. Standing Calf Raise

100kgs x 12 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + static hold to failure

Up weight and reps, thought i was going to be sick as the leg extension/press was supersetted, didn't half get ma heart rate up lol...

Hopefully the DOMS isnt as bad this time, it took 5 days for the DOMS to subside after the last leg workout.

Oh well, 4 days until next workout...

Today's workout with my trainer John was by far my favorite, as he allowed me to incorporate my fav techniques...

1. Incline D-B Flye

75kgs total x 8 reps to failure + 3 forced reps

2. Chest Press Machine

140kgs x static holds to failure

3. Seated D-B Lateral Raises

30kgs total x 12 reps to failure + 2 forced reps and several partials to failure

4. Shoulder Press Machine

85kgs x negative only reps to failure

5. Rope Press-down

12/15 plates x 11 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

6. One arm Rope Pressdown

8/15 plates x static hold to failure

Going to be using more static holds and negative only movements in future workouts, such techniques give you the most bang for your buck when it comes to stimulating growth. There also a great way of working around niggling injuries:)

Next workout on Friday - Back and Biceps

Eating wise, i've went back to having more carbs in my diet, but IFing again (8 hour feeding window)

Pull day...

1. Pullover machine - 102.5kgs x 6 reps to failure + 2 forced reps

2. Pullowns - 110kgs x 5 reps to failure + 2 forced reps + 10 second rest then static hold to failure

3. Rear Delt Machine - 75Kgs x static hold to failure + drop set to failure

4. D-B Shrugs - 100kgs x 14 reps to failure

5. Biceps Curl Machine - 75kgs x static hold to failure + drop set to failure

6. Weighted Back Extension - BW + 20kgs x static hold to failure

Despite being up on most lifts tonight's workout, i feel i should have left it for another day or two, feeling bit tired from working long hours this week, oh well, i'll take a good 4-5 days off before the next workout.

Hey MF,

Good video...

Indeed, Mike had allowed himself to go down hill for some time, it was sad to watch, still, he hadn't lost his passion for the theory..or his dry sense of humor:)

I believe Mike and Ray's father passed away early in his late thirties from heart issues, so that may have something to do with the bothers early deaths, but Mike of course hadn't been training himself for some time, moreover, he'd become a chain smoker and i believe was partial to a wee drop of Bourbon, Ray had also been suffering with health issues, a muscle wasting illness i believe, but i think the shock of losing his bother was too much, and he passed away just 2 days after Mikes passing.

Moving forward...Their names, legacy's and contributions in the field will live on for a very long time to come:)

Best

Rob