Can we organize a group buy? NewGrip.

NewGrip Gloves are pretty cool since they are all vegan. Some people like them, some don't, but I guess that can be said for pretty much anything.

I use them, but not all the time. They are nice to have and can be very useful. Other times I just lift without anything.

The Texas crowd can get together I'll continue to recruit more Texans to join the forum.

Save yourself the money and don't use gloves. Rather than buying Newgrip, you can actually build your grip Just get some chalk.

Should have known it was only a matter idea before jonathan got here telling people to stay away from gloves . I of course agree with the big guy .

I am not so worried about grip strength as I am not a BIG lifter.. newbie actually. I want to minimize calluses on my palms. Atleast to start with I hate the feeling of bare metal.

There was a time we used to use small pieces cut out of old bicycle tyre tubes to act as rubber sheath around any weights or bars that we were holding.

I am not so worried about grip strength as I am not a BIG lifter.. newbie actually. I want to minimize calluses on my palms. Atleast to start with I hate the feeling of bare metal.

Instead of avoiding calluses, you should treat them with love and respect .

Yeah because they are sooooo attractive on women. I'm pro-glove. I would rather concentrate on my exercise than concentrate on my sweaty, slipping grip or the pain of the skin being ripped off my hands.

~ Adrienne

Yeah because they are sooooo attractive on women. I'm pro-glove. I would rather concentrate on my exercise than concentrate on my sweaty, slipping grip or the pain of the skin being ripped off my hands.

~ Adrienne

Ahhh, the voice of reason!

It's just one of those things, everyone will have their own opinion or preference. So one is not better than the other.

Nearly all the best bodybuilders in the world train with gloves, but then again, a lot of the best don't use them.

Same with amateur lifters too. Some use them, some don't.

As a massage therapist, I had to take care of my hands so gloves were very important. I had to use a fingernail file to file my palms otherwise. My calluses could actually cut people if I wasn't careful.

So use em, or don't. No problem either way.

~ Adrienne

Which is why you use chalk. Without it, your hands will sweat, and your callouses will rip. Infact today I was at the gym without chalk, and I had my first ever ripped callous. This is only because my hands sweated, softened the callous and it ripped.

Seriously though guys, the grip is like any other strength, it has to be trained. What is the bloody point in having wonderfully developed biceps/triceps if you can't grip a dumbell without some cushy glove?

Regarding callouses and attractiveness to other sex - my girlfriend trains in a powerlifting style, has never worn gloves, and has virtually no callouses. I would far prefer her to have practical strong hands, than manicured, silky soft and primarily useless hands

Sorry to rant, but I really f##king hate it when people try to justify the use of gloves.

Jonathan

Thanks for your opinion Jonathan....always an interesting read

Watch out.........seriously man.....as soon as I'm away from contest prep, I might get stronger than you are. I know my gains are modest and they do mostly happen in big jumps at first and taper off....but I'm slowing getting the hang of this strength stuff and when I don't have to diet or do cardio....watch me grow, with or without gloves.

Then after we have a lifting contest, we'll wrestle. True strongman test!

As a massage therapist, I had to take care of my hands so gloves were very important. I had to use a fingernail file to file my palms otherwise. My calluses could actually cut people if I wasn't careful.

I agree. I have to shake hands at client meetings and I dont want someon e to wonder what they felt while shaking my hand and and get distracted from what we were trying to focus on.

I must be the ONLY female who is proud of her calluses! I love 'em, for it's the mark of a serious weightlifter. Just like a hardworking artist may have paint permanently stuck under his nails, or a skilled carpenter that has splinters and/or cuts on his hands, we weightlifters have our calluses. So don't be ashamed of them! Wear them loud and proud, people!!!!!

Hey, Jonathan. Go do 600 to 800 chins ups every week for a couple of months and then we'll see how you feel about gloves.

Jay - I used to do 12 / 10/ 8 pullups (3 sets) (front hold) couple of years back. I stopped exercising, change of life etc. etc.. and find myself unfit..

I recently started with just the following:

- brisk walking

- pushups

- pull ups ( 6, 3/4, 1/2) - 3 sets

I have to ofcourse lose a lot of BF that wasnt there before.. But, Im wondering if you have suggestions on improving my pullups simultaneously.

I am using the "door gym" thing for pullups in the door frame.

Yeah because they are sooooo attractive on women.

They are ? Then I must work harder on mine. I nearly have none at the moment .

I must be the ONLY female who is proud of her calluses! I love 'em, for it's the mark of a serious weightlifter. Just like a hardworking artist may have paint permanently stuck under his nails, or a skilled carpenter that has splinters and/or cuts on his hands, we weightlifters have our calluses. So don't be ashamed of them! Wear them loud and proud, people!!!!!

Yeah http://www.kolozzeum.com/kolozzeum/images/smilies/bow.gifhttp://www.kolozzeum.com/kolozzeum/images/smilies/bow.gifhttp://www.kolozzeum.com/kolozzeum/images/smilies/bow.gif

orry to rant, but I really f##king hate it when people try to justify the use of gloves.

[ Im wondering if you have suggestions on improving my pullups simultaneously.

I am using the "door gym" thing for pullups in the door frame.

Here's my favorite article on chins/pullups. http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm

This type of training works well for me. Others do better when they train less often and rest more, you juts have to experiment and see what works for you