leg exercisies for running?

bill1987

Have gotten back into running the last couple of months and as I have done this I have more or less stopped doing leg workouts in the gym as I have been running 4 days a week and going to the gym a couple of times of week doing upper body and core work. My question is should I still be incorporating leg workouts into my routine and if so which ones are most beneficial for running?

Plan your leg training around your runs, important to make sure it is away from your key run sessions.

When I'm running I HAVE to drop squats as the DOMS do me no favours. I tend to prefer more functional exercises that will benefit the running itself, emphasising things like plyometrics, more hamstring moves, leg press over squats etc. I know a number of runners that like to do walking lunges but TBH I would just get too sore from them.

Stretching is a big key to reducing DOMS I have found, as is nutrition. Running 10 or 15 miles is not the problem, but in the days before and after that is definately a consideration eg how you are grouping your runs up between long, tempo, recovery, hills etc. For example, when I did a hard 14.2km hill run a few weeks back I still went to the gym that night and trained legs, but the following day was a rest day for me. The next time I ran was just an easier recovery run, so when I put my training together like that any slight soreness I get from the weights shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Hope that helps MF.

• 4 weeks later...