New to Running, Need General Tips and Schemes

z0rzz

Hey all,

I recently picked up jogging a few months ago as I was approaching the end of my bulk in April, as I wanted to supplement my diet over the summer with light cardio. I've been lifting heavy for years now and used to do track back in high school (hurdles and long jump), but I've NEVER been an endurance runner, so I started out fresh this year. I love it so far, it's a welcome break from weightlifting for so long. However, since I just started I don't really know much about it besides what a few friends have advised me. I definitely need more advice on running as a whole.

I currently run on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I can't go for very long though due to my lack of endurance, so I generally brisk walk 10 minutes to warm up, jog 30 minutes, and cooldown walk for 15 minutes. I stretch before and after my warmup a bit (10-15 seconds per leg muscle), and then stretch for 30+ seconds after finishing everything. I don't carry a pedometer on me, but I mapped out my general route once and it ends up being 3 miles of jogging and one mile of walking. If I happen to run and lift on the same day, I always run after lifting rather than before.

I don't have any hardcore running goals to be honest, I would just appreciate any general rules of thumb as well as tips on preventing injury and improving endurance. I would be happy to eventually be able to jog for 5 miles 3-4 times per week.