Get Ripped or Die Trying

Saturday, March 7, 2015:

Short GBC

1. Flat Bench - 3 x 12 @ 185lbs;1010

2. Walking Lunges - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

-

3. Aussie Pullups - 3 x 12; 2020

4. Single Leg StepUps - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 2020

Have company in this weekend, and was busy with them earlier today so I didn't get a chance to train until this afternoon. Even then, only had a few minutes to squeeze some sets in, so I went with what appeared as least time consuming. Next time I'm strapped for time, I'll focus on high volume body weight exercises, combined with HIIT training. I think that would be the most effective use of a short period of time; though I am sure some would beg to differ . . . Perhaps a few sets of low reps and very heavy weights, but that's not really my style of training, and it doesn't factor in preparation in setting up for training, nor transition time. Pushups can be done in a moment's notice, etc.

Actually had time to get in a third superset, but cut things short because my little dog had a seizure and needed help. No worries, she's better now. Had a dream last night that we had a little baby, who was sitting on one of those baby carrier seats on the counter. When I approached the baby seat, inside was our little dog (as in, she was the baby). I just remember feeling nothing but pure happiness. I love that little pup so much.

Rest for the remainder of the weekend, then back on Tuesday to crush last week's lifts!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuesday, March 10, 2015:

GBC

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 175lbs; 2020

2. Angle Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 3030

-

3. Circus Press - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs; 3030

4. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 175lbs; 1010

-

5. Aussie Pullups - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs; 1110

6. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs; 3030

Strong training today. Tried out traditional deadlifts as opposed to the Romanian style, which is typically my go to. These, were way more difficult. Still have company in town, so there's not much time to post up here. Anyhow, that's what I did today. Came upstairs and had some lentils/beans/broccoli, and a huge salad. Cardio tomorrow.

Thursday, March 12, 2015:

Rest Day

So, I trained yesterday (3/11) for about 20 minutes of cardio, and then packed it in. I was pooped, and hungry. Today, our company went home. But, I only got about 3 hours of sleep last night, which means I really have no business training today. Anyhow, I'll be back at it on Saturday after I get some rest, and finish out the week. Kind of a brutal week work-wise as well.

Hope all are well!

Saturday, March 14, 2015:

GBC + HIIT, Giant Sized

1. Decline Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs; 2020

2. Front Squat - 3 x 15 @ 110lbs; 2020

3. Football Drills - 3 x 6

-

4. DB Pullover - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs; 2020

5. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15 @ 60lbs; 2020

6. Spring Lunges - 3 x 6

Awesome training today, after taking a few days' rest. I think I'll start incorporating HIIT into my daily training from now on. I think it's a great way to get in some conditioning while also building strength. It's such a beautiful day outside, so I won't waste any more time here on the computer. Get outside if you can!!!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015:

Short Run

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 20 @ 155lbs

2. Walking Lunge - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

3. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

Had a work related phone call I was supposed to take at 4, then 4:30, then 5:00, which made getting a session in a bit difficult. When the call was done, I thought about going back to training, but I was too hungry and lacked focus. Sorry for the shit posts as of late... I'm going through some stuff that's been pretty difficult professionally speaking. In turn, that's really jarred my focus, and made me lose a lot of motivation. Anyhow, I plan to come back tomorrow and finish what I started today, and then some...

Wednesday, March 18, 2015:

Pre-W/O - 1 apple

GBC + HIIT

1. Pushup Trio - 3 x 50 (Incline, Staggered, Diamond); 1010

2. Lateral StepUp - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

3. Sprint Lunges - 3 x 6 Rounds

- Snack Break - 1 coconut/date roll

4. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs; 2020

5. Military Press - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 3010

6. Belt Kicks - 3 x 24

-

7. Curls - 3 x 12 @ 75lbs; 2020

8. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

9. Hurdle Sprints - 3 x 12

Pretty decent training today. Got SUPER hungry after that first giant set, so I had to run up to the kitchen and get some quick energy. That date roll helped me finish the rest, but I was starving again by the end of the final set. I like training like this, but it does require quite a bit of focus training full body and then HIIT. I tried to keep my rest periods to 2 minutes, but sometimes they crept as high as 4. Really tired now, and kind of mentally spent. Slept horribly last night after the pup was just totally wired from her seizure meds (sometimes they have the opposite effect). I discovered that it's low pressure systems that cause her to have episode (all her seizures are weather related). Low pressure systems give me pretty awful headaches as well.

I really need to start drinking more water. I've been having a lot of . . . gas lately. I think the water would help. Plus, I just need to stay away from peas. Back tomorrow with more of the same.

Thursday, March 19, 2015:

GBC (No HIIT)

1. Row - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs; 2020

2. Reverse Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 2020

-

3. Neutral Grip Pullups - 3 x 12; 1030

4. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 190lbs; 2020

-

5. Tricep Press on Bench - 3 x 12; 4040

6. Hamstring Curl - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs; 3030

No HIIT today because I am sore as hell from yesterday's training, and tired too after having to get up in the middle of the night again. Increased calories prior to training today, which seemed to help. Maybe I should try a higher glycemic load food as a pre-w/o... So I just checked and found that apples are a 38 GCI, whereas bananas are more like 62. That could explain why I felt better today, plus the date roll I consumed in addition (42 GCI). After the session I came upstairs and planned to make a huge salad, but my wife bought us organic greens this week, and I noticed they were crawling (well, not really crawling) with tiny bugs. That sucks. It's a shame pesticides are so terrible, but I'm not interested in eating bugs; and I'm too hungry to patiently wash them all away. Substituted the idea for a can of garbanzos on top of some kale and zucchini, topped with salsa verde, and this hot sauce I made earlier in the week.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients:

- 4 fresno chili peppers

- 1 bulb garlic

- 1 shallot

- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

- 1 pinch salt

- 1 pinch paprika

- 3 dashes liquid smoke

Directions:

- Heat oven to 420*

- Cut the tip end of the garlic off with a knife - not the little hat - place on tin foil and drizzle with olive oil; seal up into the foil

- Cut the stems off of the chilis and discard

- Roast chilis and garlic in the oven for about 20 minutes or until chilis are soft and blackened

- Remove chilis and garlic from the oven, unwrap the garlic.

- Place all ingredients except for the vinegar into food processor, process until very smooth while slowly adding in the vinegar.

- Store in fridge, will probably last a couple weeks (if you can make it that far, I wanted to drink the stuff).

Here's a pic of the result . . .

IMG_0448.JPG.7ec9557e2ba2129f7b3984b5f500e4bf.JPG

Saturday, March 21, 2015:

Full Body Quickset

1. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 3030

2. ChinUps - 3 x 12; 1030

3. Squat + Shoulder Press - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

-

4. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 2020

5. Walking Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

6. Long Jumps - 3 x 16

Not much time to train today as I am giving a mock interview to a first year law student this afternoon, and needed to cram in preparation. I'm going to grill this kid on so many things, just to make sure he's more than prepared. Otherwise, it's a beautiful day out, and I'm in a great mood. Training was fun too, and I managed to keep rest periods to about 30 seconds. Negatives on the chin-ups are killer, and I had to take a 10 second pause between every 6 reps. Also, I love combining lifting with explosive moves. Haven't done the squat/press in a long time, if ever, and really enjoyed that move. Pizza tonight, but no beers. Looking forward to relaxing for the rest of the day.

Have a good weekend all!

Oh yeah, someone's loss becomes someone's gain's...especially when it comes to beers:)

Well, I bought a 750ml bottle of some local lager, but didn't drink it . . . a habit of mine. Felt pretty nice to wake up on Sunday with no hangover of any sort. Seems to really rip into me these days. Must be getting older. Last few times I put some beers down I could barely make it past 4 bottles before wanting to crawl in bed.

Tuesday, March 24, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12 @ 85lbs; 2020

2. Front Squat - 3 x 12 @ 120lbs; 2020

3. Burpee + Jump - 3 x 12

-

4. Standing Bar Press - 3 x 12* @ 85lbs; 2020

5. Side Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 85lbs; 2020

6. High Knees - 3 x 50

-

8. Scissor Hip Extension - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs; 2020

9. Skate Jumps - 3 x 12*

Solid training today. Felt nice to change it up from the typical bench press Tuesdays as well. Fell asleep on the train ride home, so I thought I would be short on energy today, but I put down a banana and some strawberries beforehand, which suited me well throughout the session. I guess I have been sleeping poorly as of late, but I don't really notice until the end of the day. Perhaps that's me crashing from my caffeine dose in the morning. I should really work on that; but there's not much better than hot coffee on a cold day. Been feeling all around better lately. I guess I just kind of let the things I cannot change/control be, and just focus on living.

By the way, I found the scissor hip extension exercise here: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/the_painful_seven. They were pretty brutal, so I'd recommend. Just put the weight you want to use on your hips, just like if you were doing hamstring curls.

Alright, I'm tired, and fed, and ready to get off the computer. Back tomorrow with more, depending on how sore!

Oh yeah, someone's loss becomes someone's gain's...especially when it comes to beers:)

Well, I bought a 750ml bottle of some local lager, but didn't drink it . . . a habit of mine. Felt pretty nice to wake up on Sunday with no hangover of any sort. Seems to really rip into me these days. Must be getting older. Last few times I put some beers down I could barely make it past 4 bottles before wanting to crawl in bed.

I feel you so much on this. If I'm with it enough to chug down an electrolyte drink (I like Rehydrate from Advocare) before bed that usually staves it off at least enough that I'm still functional the next day haha

However, I've got a bomber of some White Monkey (Golden Monkey aged in wine barrels) that I keep telling myself I'm going to bust into and just never quite seem to feel ready to tackle the full 750... Ahhhh somday!

Speaking of beers, we found BCBS down here by the caseload. It's ridiculous. A year ago in Chicago I wouldn't have been able to imagine walking in somewhere and just walking out with a full four pack of BCBS without having to fight someone on my way out the door haha Have you had any of this year's batch? Are you into Stouts?

Ugh, I had an entire post, but then it disappeared. Anyhow, BNB, I haven't tried/seen any BCBS here, likely because there's just too many assholes here that obsess over that stuff, so it's never available. Lucky for me, I love sour beers, and all other odd brewing styles - so my taste is always in stock!

Wednesday, March 25, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 170lbs; 2020

2. Walking Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

3. Hurdle Jumps - 3 x 12

-

4. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 170lbs; 1010

5. Pullups - 3 x 12; 2020

6. Sprint Lunges - 3 x 6

-

7. Skullcrusher - 3 x 12 @ 55lbs; 4040

8. Lateral Step-Up - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

9. Football Drills - 3 x 4

Another day of solid training. Trained much earlier than posting today, because I got carried away applying for jobs. Not much else to say really, and need to get on putting things together for tomorrow. Back tomorrow to do something... probably cardio as I plan on being sore as fuck.

Thursday, March 26, 2015:

Day of Rest

Felt really tired when I got home, and just not interested in training at all. Gave it some more thought after an hour or so, and nope, still not interested. Was up since 4 anyhow, and I think all the poor sleep and training caught up to me today. So, I'll take the day off. Won't be able to get back in the saddle until Saturday afternoon so I'll try to behave until then. Doesn't help that my wife left me a cupcake on the counter when I got home. It was delicious.

Saturday, March 28, 2015:

Still Tired GBC + HIIT

1. Standing Press Ups - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

2. Single Leg Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

3. Mountain Climbers - 3 x 50

-

(Failed Sets)

4. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

5. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15* @ 60lbs

6. Long Jumps - 3 x 16

-

7. Front Raise - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

8. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

9. High Knees - 3 x 50

UGHHHH Still exhausted. Woke up at 1:30am today, and then stayed up until about 4, then slept til 8. I hate it when that happens. Barely got through the first section above, even dropped part of a 35lb db on my big toe, and then just realized that I'm tired as fuck, and getting in here and killing it is going to do nothing good for me long-term. So, I packed it in, came upstairs and made a huge salad, and some plans to do nothing for the rest of the day.... Maybe I'll watch some TV, or maybe I'll go back to bed. My little pup has the right idea, as seen here....

image1.JPG.94f723248abd4830c73a5f5c4d5bc6ed.JPG

Tuesday, March 30, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 3030

2. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 175lbs; 1010

3. Reverse Lunge Kick - 3 x 15*

-

4. Shoulder Press - 3 x 12* @ 85lbs; 2020

5. Reverse Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

6. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

And then I felt so nauseous, I just had to stop. This is so incredibly annoying, I cannot even begin to describe how pissed I am for having to pack it in when I planned to get through an additional giant set. F that. Even this was nearly impossible to get through. I ate a banana and a handful or three of cereal about 30 minutes before training, so I figured I'd be fine. If that's not the reason, there's gotta be another explanation. I even slept well last night. Seems like once I lose focus, I tend to fall apart (which isn't surprising, really). Anyhow, maybe I'll have to re-think doing 3 giant sets each training day, and just try for two but add another day to my weekly routine. I will say that now that I'm done with today, I feel tired as fuck. I tried the sugar under the tongue trick today, actually it was a vegan honey I found (made from apples), but that didn't seem to work. Perhaps the consistency was not the best choice. Anyhow, I'll give it some more thought through the rest of the night, and come back tomorrow with a different plan. Thoughts welcome!

Wednesday, April 1, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. PullUp Trio - 3 x 12; 2020

2. Front Squat - 3 x 12 @ 115lbs; 3030

3. Sprint Lunges - 3 x 6

-

4. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 145lbs; 2020

5. Front Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

6. High Knees - 3 x 50

-

8. Front StepUp - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

9. Football Drills - 3 x 4

No joke - solid training today. No nausea either, which was very welcome. Getting warmer here today, which is fucking awesome. Even got to take the dog to the park for nearly an hour-long walk. Need to start focusing on all the spring/summer projects I have planned for the house before the time gets away. Otherwise, hamstrings are sore as hell from the deadlifts yesterday, and I'm feeling pretty good!

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Cardio/Core

0. Warmup - 4 Minutes HIIT

1. Hanging Knee Raise x 20

2. Leg Raise x 20

3. Side Plank w/ Rotation x 15*

4. Russian Twist x 25 @ 25lbs

5. Jacknife x 20 @ 25lbs

6. Oblique Crunch x 15*

And that's it for today. Didn't really feel like training today, and my nutrition was off as I didn't pack a lunch/got caught up with work before I came home early to a cupcake lunch. Just kind of focused on other stuff today, so I managed to squeeze out a single set and then made up some dinner. Still sore from Tuesday, especially in the chest. Must have really ripped into those decline flys. Going to hit up some GBC tomorrow, time-willing. Otherwise, feeling pretty introspective today, and hoping for a positive change to come my way soon.

Saturday, April 4, 2015:

GBC+

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 180lbs

2. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

3. Front Raise - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

-

4. Shoulder Press Ups - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs

5. Lateral Squat - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs

6. Delt Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

Didn't really focus on timing today, but more intensity and short rest. Got in and out on this in about 30 minutes, which is good as I have some stuff to do outside today... Finally. Next to walking the dog a couple of times over the last week or so I haven't spent any significant time outdoors since last October. Well, that is, time that wasn't spent shoveling snow. Anyhow, spring is upon us, and there's a few things I'd like to do before the rainy season begins and I have to spent the next month indoors

Spaghetti tonight, and re-thinking being on a cut diet. Let's get huge? Have a good weekend!

Tuesday, April 7, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. Incline Chest Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 2020

2. Sumo Squat - 3 x 12 @ 200lbs; 2020

3. High Knees - 3 x 50

-

4. Military Press - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs; 3030

5. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 185lbs; 1010

6. Belt Kicks - 3 x 24

Well new PR on deadlifts today, and they didn't seem all that tough, so I bet I could add some more next time. I did have another gian t set scheduled, but I was honestly tired as fuck at the end of the second round there. Felt like I could crawl in bed and be asleep in five minutes. Timing military press that way is absolutely killer, so even with a lazier pace today my shoulders still feel shredded. Happy with my squats as well. Really need to get myself a squat pad and mirror so I can start doing them with the bar again. It's been well over a year. Otherwise, things are going pretty well. Had a nice big bowl of beans and lentils, and now I'm stuffed.

Back tomorrow with back/bis/quads.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015:

GBC + HIIT

1. ChinUps - 3 x 12; 2020

2. Walking Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 3030

3. Sprint Lunges - 3 x 12

-

4. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs; 2020

5. Single Leg StepUp - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs; 2020

6. Hurdle Sprints - 3 x 12

Typing this up the day after, as I waited too long to post last night and the site logged me out and erased the data; that's annoying. Anyhow, I need a change. I'm feeling super bloated lately, or at least I feel fatter than I was a few months ago. My shirts fit the same way, and my leg muscles make my pants fit tight. However, my belt/waist seems much tighter, which I don't understand. A friend said it might be due to enlarged glute size from lifting, which might be true. But, I just feel gross and fat. I really wish I could lose the belly, but it seems like no matter what I do, the flab prevails.

I'd really appreciate some suggestions. I'm taking in around 2000 - 2200 calories per day; maybe a little carb heavy, but I find I have little to no energy for my workouts, as mentioned many times before. Should I look into a pre-workout drink? I've never needed one of these before, and my workouts are relatively similar to those in the past; albeit with heavier weights. Is that the difference? I'm frustrated.

Thursday, April 9, 2015:

Upper/Lower Circuit - Rest 2-3 Minutes/Round

1. Standing Press Ups - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

2. Side Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs

3. Dips - 3 x 15

4. Hamstring Bridge - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

5. Curls - 3 x 20 @ 55lbs

6. Lateral Squat - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs

This was a fun circuit, and worked much better than trying to do giant sets. I found I could plow through everything at a pretty good pace, and without the start/stop resting it seemed to go by much faster than with normal sets. I might keep this for a bit, add in some bodyweight stuff. I think the tempo stuff is great, but it's clearly time for a change. Also, I need some new dumbbells. Ate an insane amount of vegetables and greens today. Have company coming in this weekend, so I'll probably have a terrible diet for a couple days. But, after that, it's crunch time.

I did things a little differently today for a pre-w/o. While I had a huge banana, and probably an ounce of brown rice, I made myself a cup of Earl Grey tea about 20 minutes prior to training. I think the bit of caffeine did me well, as I went in with a little more motivation than usual. However, I did find myself hungry at mid-point, which immediately affected my focus. Resulted in me taking more like 5 minutes between the second and third round as opposed to 2-3.

I'm also toying with the notion of the raw diet again, but only for a few weeks. It seemed to help me drop some pounds fairly quickly, and I'd like to slim down just a bit. It's been a year since I've really tried hard to cut, and I think I might have the mass underneath to make it worthwhile. Maybe I'll set that up for the month of June, or the second half of May/first half of June. I really did enjoy eating as much fruit as I wanted.

I'll be off tomorrow as per usual, and then back in action Saturday morning. Don't really care if we have company, I'm going to get up early and get some work in; before anyone else gets up.