Friday, July 3, 2015:

Strength Circuit - 3 Rounds, Rest 3 Minutes

1. Deadlift x 10 @ 205lbs

2. Standing Pressups x 15 @ 50lbs

3. TRX Split Squats x 15*

4. TRX Low Row x 15

5. Squat Jumps x 15

6. DB Hammer Curl x 12 @ 70lbs

Did so much today, and man am I pooped. Going to sleep very well tonight. It was a struggle getting all the weights out. Either I have become lazy, or I'm just not that into training with weights. I'm betting it's the former, especially since the TRX bands are so easy. Anyhow, no more time today to post so... Happy 4th All!

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like it, no wonder you are stuffed haha.

No beer tonight? Sounds like you deserved one (or two)

Never fear man, I drank enough beers for the both of us last weekend! Had a good refeed as well. Was starting to have regular fatigue, which has since passed.

Monday, July 6, 2015

TRX Circuit - 3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes

1. Chest Fly x 15

2. Split Squats x 15*

3. Pistol Grip Rows x 15

4. Side Lunges x 15*

5. Curls x 15

6. Hamstring Curl x 25

Won't be training tomorrow, so I thought I would at least get some quick work in to tide me over to Wednesday. That looks like another long/stressful day as well so I hope I can get home soon enough to get some good squats in. I need to get my hands on some varied TRX exercises before I get caught doing the same ones over and again. Anyhow, no more time to post tonight; have prep to do for tomorrow.

Cheers!

Wednesday, July 8, 2015:

Legs Supersets

0. HIIT Warmup - 8 Minutes

1. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 245lbs

2. Squat Jumps - 3 x 15

-

3. Lateral StepUps 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

4. Sprint Lunges - 3 x 6

-

5. Calve Raise - 3 x 30 @ 70lbs

6. SB Hamstring Curl - 3 x 25 @ 35lbs

Time to switch things up! Feeling chubby and kind of in shit-shape, so it's time to mix things up. I'm going to do a three day split, and a single full body day for volume. Schedule days will be - Tues: Chest/Arms; Wed: Shoulders/Back; Thurs: Legs; Sat: Full Body. Also going to add in 8-10 minutes of HIIT each day. Not a ton, but enough to get the blood and sweat flowing. Hopefully I'll see some results in the near future.

Interview yesterday went well, but the job is less than I expected re: pay and no benefits. I think it would be crazy to uproot my family for that, even if it's a short-term spot. Anyhow, interviewed for another job today, which also went well; confirmed by another partner in the firm. Hopefully this works out and I can start on the next chapter. Seems right up my alley, at least, and the people are nice so far. However, the guy I met with today did some work for a pork producer who owns a "mega hog farm," which I personally find disturbing. Hopefully I won't have to do any work for that client. Don't think I could look myself in the mirror.

Otherwise, good day. Nice and cool, which I like. Going to get the pup out for a walk. By the way, Penny's been on a vegan diet for the past month or so. She seems to have taken to it quite well. Sleeps better, more energy, everything is more regular. I'd recommend looking into it if you have a little one of your own.

Thursday, July 9, 2015:

Back/Shoulder Split

0. HIIT Warmup - 8 Minutes

1. Deadlift - 3 x 10 @ 201lbs

2. Lo-Hi Woodchopper - 3 x 12 @ 35lbs

... And then I packed it in. I don't know what was up today, but a shit effort all around. While I topped my last deadlift effort, I crapped out on everything else. Not sure if I was hungry, tired, got a late start, disinterested, mind elsewhere - or whatever - I just could barely get through the first superset. Then I thought, there's no way in hell I'm getting through the next two. Oh well, live to train another day. Maybe I'll focus on shoulders/back on Saturday. Another thing about today is that I can't seem to get enough food. I'm freakin starving! Maybe it's a hydration issue. Either way, it's annoying.

Resting up tonight. Back in action on Saturday.

Saturday, July 11, 2015:

Upper Body Strength Day

0. Warmup - 8 Minutes HIIT

1. Bench - 3 x 10 @ 205lbs

2. Wide Grip Pistol Grip Pullups - 3 x 12

-

3. Bent Over Row - 3 x 12 @ 160lbs

4. Single Arm Shoulder Press - 3 x 12* @ 90lbs

-

5. Bicep Curl - 3 x 12 @ 80lbs

6. Delt Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

Solid training today. Focused on upper body because my legs/lower back are still shredded from earlier in the week. Slept like a pile of bricks last night, so hopefully got some good rest/recovery. Not much else going on today, just taking it easy. Will rest more tomorrow, and be back in action on Tuesday. I'm good and tired after this session. Happy that my rows are still of pretty good weight. Also, the wide grip on the pullups is killer.

Have a good weekend!

Tuesday, July 14, 2015:

LEGS

1. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 260lbs

2. Long Jumps - 3 x 16

-

3. Side Lunge - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

4. Hamstring Bridge - 3 x 15* @ 35lbs

-

5. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 15* @ 70lbs

6. Belt Kicks - 3 x 24

A/k/a Quad Murder Day. The split squats were hell on Earth after the heavy squats. I am in serious need of some new dumbbells. I know I've said that before, but I really mean it this time (I've said that too). Otherwise, this was pretty solid training. Sweat like a motherfucker too, so I was sliding all over the place during the hamstring bridge. I need to find more hamstring based exercises than just bridge, curls and deadlifts. Would be nice to mix things up over time, though maybe it's not that big of a deal if I keep increasing weight or volume. Drank more water today, which actually really made me feel better. Was able to ignore my raging appetite despite consuming fewer calories. Tired though. Work was absolutely ridiculous today. My coworker took her maternity leave (for 3 months!) and my boss basically provides nothing by way of assistance, and tends to just create more work. Actually, I'm now doing my boss's job, my job, and my co-workers job, all for the same pay. I need a new job.

Back tomorrow with upper body.

Woah shit man! That's some strong squat and bench you got there! Super impressed bud can't remember what you were lifting last time I checked in here but that's definitely gone up!

What's your goal at the moment dude?

In regards to your deadlift day, I get that all the time... And it's always on deadlift day, I find myself justifying packing it in for the day and trying to convince myself to just go lay down and give up aha, must be the sheer force of the deadlift working all the muscles at once, totally beats me up!

Woah shit man! That's some strong squat and bench you got there! Super impressed bud can't remember what you were lifting last time I checked in here but that's definitely gone up!

What's your goal at the moment dude?

In regards to your deadlift day, I get that all the time... And it's always on deadlift day, I find myself justifying packing it in for the day and trying to convince myself to just go lay down and give up aha, must be the sheer force of the deadlift working all the muscles at once, totally beats me up!

Thanks dude! I've really been working on building up my numbers in those areas. Is it weird that my bench and deadlift are the same number? Deadlifts just fucking obliterate my spirit to continue with a session man. Seems like even while lifting my mind/body is saying WTF!? Goals at this moment are to cut body fat. I did the whole raw vegan 80/10/10 thing last summer and I think it messed my metabolism up a bit; or maybe my insulin sensitivity. Anyhow I've put on about 20lbs over the last couple years, and while I'm willing to bet a lot of that is muscle, there's obviously some fat that's crept in. I want that shit gone!

Wednesday, July 15, 2015:

Chest/Arm Strength Day

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 12 @ 190

2. Tricep Dips - 3 x 20

-

3. Standing Chest Press - 3 x 15 @ 50lbs

4. EZ Curls - 3 x 12 @ 80lbs

-

5. Decline Chest Fly - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

6. Cross Curls - 3 x 12* @ 50lbs

7. Skullcrusher - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

Wow haven't trained arms/chest like this in . . . maybe forever. Arms felt like jelly at the end of today's session. Incline bench was to failure on the final set, which was a bit scary given I train alone at home. Otherwise, this was a nice session. I like the mix of chest work, and I think it goes well with bicep/tricep work. Anyhow, it's a nice night, and I've been at the computer all day. Time for some fresh air!

Shoulders/Back tomorrow.

Thursday, July 16, 2015:

Shoulders/Back Strength Day

1. Close Stance Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 140lbs

2. Front Lat Raise - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

-

3. Row - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

4. Single Arm Pressup - 3 x 12* @ 95lbs

-

5. Wide Grip Pistol Pullups - 2 x 12

6. Delt Fly - 2 x 15 @ 70lbs

Well kind of interrupted in my last set today because I GOT A JOB OFFER! FUCK YEAH! With one call I nearly doubled my salary, and now finally adult life may begin! I was a bit too excited to finish up the session, and had a couple things to do since I got the good news. Anyhow, I'm a little calmer now so I might go back and rip through the last set. Not going to waste any more time on the computer tonight - it's time to celebrate!

Saturday, July 18, 2015:

TRX Day (3 Rounds, Rest 2 Minutes)

1. Chest Press x 15

2. Split Squat x 15*

3. Row x 15

4. Side Lunge x 15*

5. Bicep Curl x 15

6. Tricep Press x 20

7. Hamstring Curl x 25

8. T's x 15

No cardio today because I'm feeling pretty tired from the past couple weeks of stress, and this week's training. I contemplated not training at all today, but thought this would give me an opportunity to get some work in that wasn't significantly demanding. Noticed a little tightness in the left hamstring/groin which I'll have to work out here in a few minutes (after lunch). Like I've always said, the TRX band (or equivalent) were a great investment. Such an easy way to get in a quick and effective workout. They are a great supplement to weights, and could also be used for calisthenics, I believe.

Hot as hell here today. Otherwise, I'm feeling great. Going to post up in the basement with some video games!

New job new job new job!!! Awesomesauce dude! Where???

I've got some resistance bands that I use from time to time, normally when I'm not feeling like a huge workout but want to keep myself active and stimulated, is it worth getting trx? Mine are cheap basic bands from Amazon aha.

Yeah hot here too, well it was yesterday, burnt like a motherfucker as I was stuck at a festival in the middle of a field all day hungover.....

Hope all is well anyway Chris, and again congrats on the job : D

New job new job new job!!! Awesomesauce dude! Where???

I've got some resistance bands that I use from time to time, normally when I'm not feeling like a huge workout but want to keep myself active and stimulated, is it worth getting trx? Mine are cheap basic bands from Amazon aha.

Yeah hot here too, well it was yesterday, burnt like a motherfucker as I was stuck at a festival in the middle of a field all day hungover.....

Hope all is well anyway Chris, and again congrats on the job : D

A mid-size law firm here in town; about 33 attorneys. Starting in mid-September. Super pumped, and so ready to move on from my current post.

I love the suspension trainers - and I have some generic ones I bought on Amazon. Spent maybe $20. The TRX are crazy expensive. I'd highly recommend getting something cheap, and strapping them to your pullup bar.

Hot festival all day sounds kinda hellish man. Haven't done an outside show like that in ages, and don't think I could last now that I'm getting on in years lol Anyway. thanks man, I appreciate the thought. HOpe you are well too.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Legs

0. Warmup - 2 Minutes HIIT

1. Squat - 3 x 12 @ 275lbs

2. Squat Jump - 3 x 15

-

3. Angle Squat - 3 x 12* @ 95lbs

4. Side Lunge - 3 x 12* @ 95lbs

-

5. Hamstring Curl - 2 x 20 @ 45lbs

6. Calf Raise - 2 x 25 @ 95lbs

Got a later start than usual today so I didn't get to put in all my warmup, or even most of it Ah well, I still got in a good lift - even if I scrapped the last set. I got a phone call that pretty much took me out of focus. Otherwise, a decent day. Feeling a bit tired though. Chest/Arms tomorrow.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015:

Chest/Arms

1. Flat Bench - 3 x 10 @ 210lbs

2. Tricep Dips - 3 x 20

-

3. Incline Chest Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Curls - 3 x 10 @ 85lbs

-

5. Decline Close Grip Bench - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Seated Hammer Curl - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

Bench was too heavy for a full drop, so I should kick it down and make sure my form isn't shit; or do fewer reps. Curls were heavy as fuck too, but I could still manage. Felt really nice to rip up my chest today. I'm sure chest day is a favorite of most people. Just thought back to the days where I was proud to put up 135lbs for reps haha. I was absolutely starving after this and got into some strawberries; probably blew my calories for the day. Cutting, especially in the first couple weeks, is just shitty.

Otherwise, a decent day. Back tomorrow with deadlifts and back.

Impressive benching again as always Chris! I blame my long arms for not being able to keep up haha!

Bench used to be my favourite day for sure, I think it's just because I love the tricep pump! Deadlifts day is a firm fave now though!

Have you started your new job yet??

Impressive benching again as always Chris! I blame my long arms for not being able to keep up haha!

Bench used to be my favourite day for sure, I think it's just because I love the tricep pump! Deadlifts day is a firm fave now though!

Have you started your new job yet??

This is exactly why I no longer preform bb benchs, its more a shoulder and triceps movement. The function of pectoralis major to draw the arms down and across the chest, so its important to choose exercises that furfills that function. Cable crossovers satisfy that function perfectly. Another cracker is a max contracted static holds on a pec deck, holding the resistance in the position of full contraction...(Static holds....an equaliser for us long ams apes:)

@ Ross - thanks man, I must have short little stubby arms. I was sore as hell after this too. Don't start the new gig until September 15. I have a shitload of stuff to finish up at my current post (including hiring and training my replacement). Plus, I'm going to take a few days off before starting to get my head squared away and rest up; also lift a ton haha!

@ Rob - that makes sense, though I do love a good bench press - even if it's mostly for shoulders. So you'd recommend a decline press or decline fly over flat or incline bench? I need to get some heavier DBs to progress. I did some basic movement and paid attention to contraction and you're totally right. Little to no flex when pressing straight out or up, but a ton when coming down and across. Interesting!

Thursday, July 23, 2015:

Shoulders/Back

1. Deadlift - 3 x 12 @ 205lbs

2. Standing Circus Press - 3 x 12* @ 35lbs

-

3. Single Arm Row - 3 x 12* @ 100lbs

4. Single Arm Pressup - 3 x 12* @ 100lbs

-

5. Lateral Raise - 3 x 12 @ 30lbs

6. Chin Ups - 3 x 12

It's interesting how little weight on the lat raise can totally decimate the shoulders. Deadlifts were nice and tight today, and I did them more Romanian style than straight deadlifts. I need to focus more on keeping my core engaged as opposed to just lifting up. Otherwise, this was great for lower back and getting at my hamstrings. This was a really long day, and I'm damn tired. Need to get some good rest tonight as I head into the weekend. Parents are coming to town, so I'll probably be under a bit of stress.

Resting up tomorrow, probably some light activity on Saturday morning.

@ Ross - thanks man, I must have short little stubby arms. I was sore as hell after this too. Don't start the new gig until September 15. I have a shitload of stuff to finish up at my current post (including hiring and training my replacement). Plus, I'm going to take a few days off before starting to get my head squared away and rest up; also lift a ton haha!

@ Rob - that makes sense, though I do love a good bench press - even if it's mostly for shoulders. So you'd recommend a decline press or decline fly over flat or incline bench? I need to get some heavier DBs to progress. I did some basic movement and paid attention to contraction and you're totally right. Little to no flex when pressing straight out or up, but a ton when coming down and across. Interesting!

Yeah mate, I decline press is a superior pec exercise (not just the lower pecs, but for the entire pec), but if one is looking for too maximise the pec development, then a flye movement that provides resistance in the contracted position is imo a must. Moreover, if your such an individual such as myself with strong but quick to fatigue fast twich triceps, then your pecs will not / can not receive full stimulation from any pressing movement.

With db flyes, you get the timber effect were the resistance kicks in the pecs weakest position (straining the rotor cuff), with almost no resistance being provided in the position you need it most, ie the fully contracted position.

Of course for the home trainee, I realise youve got to go with what youve got, when I trained at home for a serveral year period, I use one arm cable crossovers from my pulldown machine, wasnt bad, but nothing as good as maximal static contractions on a pec deck, at least, thats been my findings:)

Ended up training anyway...

1. Close Grip Bench - 3 x 12 @ 135lbs

2. Aussie Pull-ups - 3 x 15

-

3. Single Leg Squat - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

4. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 12* @ 70lbs

-

5. Concentration Curls - 3 x 12* @ 25lbs

6. DB Pullover - 3 x 12 @ 50lbs

Still tired. Should've rested. But, I knew I was going to eat a huge dinner; and I did. Glad I trained.