Get Ripped or Die Trying

That is nice that you took care of your wife. I know my husband did a lot for me when I was down with this bronchitis crap. I miss being on the boards and reading your posts. I love to read your posts. Looks like some great workouts. Hopefully you don't get this yuck that is going around.

I'd be interested to read that article about red wine with colds.

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is nice that you took care of your wife. I know my husband did a lot for me when I was down with this bronchitis crap. I miss being on the boards and reading your posts. I love to read your posts. Looks like some great workouts. Hopefully you don't get this yuck that is going around.

I'd be interested to read that article about red wine with colds.

That's sweet of you to say, Kathy. I'm glad you like reading my posts - they are fun to write. Taking care of my wife is my favorite job next to caring for our little pup Penny. She's an 8 year old Boston Terrier, small one too, who is essentially our first born. She has a handful of medical problems, so there's much to do for her. I definitely caught the crud that's going around right now. Been feeling like I've been walking on marshmallows for a couple days now. So, no training at least until Thursday which is a bummer. I hate losing progress, especially since I still have to head into work. Everyone at the office is sick, and since I'm the only vegan, I was the last one to catch it; maybe you can call that a victory.

Here's the article on the wine (not a scientific article): http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-151568/How-glass-wine-help-beat-colds.html

Have a good night!

Well that was just so inconsiderate of your wife, making miss your workout lol. Any time I get something, its always my wife that gives me it, she says sharing is caring lol. Was just reading your second from last post, have you every read Dr Ken Leistner's work? Think you'd like his work, legendary strength and conditioning coach from the US.

LOL mate I'll tell her you said so! Haven't heard of Ken Leistner, but will look him up. In need of some good reading material now that football season is over. Hope you're doing well buddy.

thanks for the article. It stinks to be sick. I hate it when I am sick and can't workout. I love Boston Terrier's. They are great dogs to have. I have two dogs that are mixed breeds, they are spoiled rotten. They are getting up there in age, so they don't have the energy that they used to.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Thursday, February 18, 2016:

TRX Circuit

1. Chest Press x 15

2. T's x 15

3. Single Leg Squat x 15*

4. Curls x 15

5. Tricep Ext. x 15

6. Single Arm Row x 15*

Still recovering from the cold/flu/sinus crud that I've had all week, but feeling much better today. Hopefully will be cleared up by tomorrow morning. I basically did this as a circuit yesterday as well, but with some variation (pullups, supinated row, flys, etc.), but didn't feel like posting. Rough day at the office, but I have someone there that I really think is looking out for my best interests - and that's great. Haven't ever really had a true mentor on a professional level... always seems like I'm mentoring those less experienced than I which is a bit ironic I guess. Anyhow, I should really strive to repay their kindness and let them know how much I value their guidance. I'd recommend that to anyone in a similar position. I think it goes a long way just to simply convey such a sentiment.

Hopefully I'll be back on the weights and HIIT this weekend. I'm also really looking forward to some rest, and finally some warmer temps (62* tomorrow!). Will be nice to get Penny outside for a walk since it's been so long. I haven't told her yet, because I like to surprise her day of

thanks for the article. It stinks to be sick. I hate it when I am sick and can't workout. I love Boston Terrier's. They are great dogs to have. I have two dogs that are mixed breeds, they are spoiled rotten. They are getting up there in age, so they don't have the energy that they used to.

Hope you get to feeling better soon.

Love my pup. Love dogs and animals more than anything. Can't believe I consumed meat/dairy for so long in such ignorance. It's one of my dreams to have a senior dog rescue. I really want to live on a farm, and raise/rescue a bunch of different animals.

I think that is a great idea to do a senior dog rescue. I think it is needed. My mother in law retired last year, but you wouldn't know she is retired. She stays so busy and active. She does a ton of stuff with a program called "Black Dog Rescue" , to try and save dogs and get them adopted out. I think it a great program to be a part of. My daughter often goes with her to the adoption days. She comes home and tells me about all the awesome dogs. I wish I could take more than I have.

Monday, February 22, 2016:

TRX Day - 3 Rounds 1 Minute Rest

1. Chest Press x 12

2. Pullup x 12

3. Bulgarian Split Squat x 12*

4. Row x 12

5. Tricep Ext. x 12

6. Curls x 12

Feeling much better today. Not much time to post, but didn't train on Saturday (worked instead and did a ton of stuff around the house). Going to get under the weights and do some conditioning tomorrow. Bought a parachute for sprints when the weather gets warmer. That's going to be awesome! Really going to start doing more full body and conditioning training.

Tuesday, February 23, 2016:

Legs

0. Rower - 1000m

1. Front Lunge - 3 x 12 @ 165lbs

2. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 12 @ 70lbs

-

3. Sumo Squat - 3 x 15 @ 225lbs

4. Squat Jump - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

5. High-Knees - 3 x 50

6. Tuck Jump - 3 x 20

Not going to lie, the lunges nearly killed me. After a week off it's surprising how much muscle memory I lost; or maybe I just never did front lunges like that before. Anyhow, it's nice to be back pushing up weights again, and not dizzy so I can crank out some HIIT. Overall a pretty good day. Will do chest/arms tomorrow, full body Thursday, and then Back/Shoulders on Saturday.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016:

Chest/Arms

0. Rower - 1250m

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 180lbs

2. Renegade Row - 3 x 12* @ 50lbs

-

3. Hammer Curl - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

4. Incline Plyo-Pushup - 3 x 15

-

5. Pushup Jacks - 3 x 15

6. Drag Curl - 3 x 115 @ 80lbs

Great training today. Really felt like I killed it with all of the plyometrics. Short day at work too due to inclement weather. Kind of an all around win for the day; especially since one of the partners asked me to do something that I had already done! Don't really have much else to say, except that I thought about football while I was training tonight and got really excited for next season. Go Packers!

Looking at your leg day makes my legs hurt to think about it. Looks like some great workouts. Plyometrics are all around tough

Thanks! I love combining plyometrics with weights, and even weighted plyometrics. It makes them even more horrible! For me those are just plain mind over matter, and I focus on something totally different in the moment. Give the weighted squat jumps a try. You'll be surprised how quickly you progress!

Thursday, February 25, 2016:

Core/Cardio

Cardio:

0. Rower - 1250m

Core Circuit (2 Rounds):

1. Bicycle Abs x 50*

2. Hi-Knees x 50*

3. Burpees x 12

4. Mountain Climbers x 50*

Kept it short and intense today since I have already trained 3x this week, and plan to crush it on Saturday. Kind of a long day too at work, and I woke up late so I must be in need of rest. Happy to oblige for at least a little bit. Not much else to say about this one. I'm tired, and hungry. Salad time!

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday, March 8, 2016:

Legs

0. Rower - 1250m; 5 minutes

1. Reverse Lunge - 3 x 15 @ 165lbs

2. Long Jump - 3 x 12 @ 25lbs

-

-

5. Box Jump (on stairs) - 3 x 15

6. High Knees - 3 x 50

Haven't posted in a while, and it's due to a flurry of unfortunate events. Two weeks ago on Friday night my little pup Penny got really sick with cluster seizures and we almost had to put her to sleep. It was horrible. I held her in my arms for 14 hours straight while we nursed her back to health. She's fully recovered now, but it was a terrible experience. I didn't sleep the entire weekend, as in from when I woke up on Friday morning until Sunday night. Anyhow, no training that weekend. Then on Tuesday I worked from home to take care of her, and discovered the power cord on my laptop (as in the tiny electrical wires inside connecting the on button to the motherboard) had become severed, and so my laptop crapped out. I did train 3 times last week, but they were all on the TRX so it was nothing to really write home about. Yesterday I did 50 chest press on the TRX and 50 pullups just to kill some time before dinner. That was fun. Today I got back in action, and it really kicked my ass. The rower is just brutal, especially with only a few days off really. Oh yeah, the lunges too.... killer.

So, plans are for NO more animals to be sick, ever, to buy a new laptop once I feel like dropping the coin, and to continue kicking as much ass as possible. Oh yeah, probably lost about 7lbs of bodyweight from that shitty weekend where Penny was so sick. I was feeding her with a syringe, giving her subcutaneous fluids, and my wife was so great giving her all of her medicine which had to be taken in an uncomfortable manner given that she couldn't really handle swallowing. We really made a good team, and it really makes me want to have a family. That's at the forefront of my thoughts lately.

That's what's been going on. Sorry for being absent, but I'm going to make an effort to get back to posting regularly. I need a place to express my thoughts. Chest/arms tomorrow.

Tuesday, March 15, 2016:

Legs

0. Rower - 1250m, 4:00min

1. Bulgarian Split Squat - 3 x 15 @ 135lbs

2. Lunge Jumps - 3 x 16 @ 70lbs

-

-

5. Box Jump - 3 x 15/12/12 @ 25lbs

6. Belt Kix - 3 x 24

Well, I've been terrible about posting lately most likely because I still don't have a laptop. I usually post right after I've trained and I am eating dinner. However, without the laptop there are usually forget and then it's just too late or end up going to bed. I will try to be better about it in the near future although I don't really have any plans to buy a new laptop, or at least I'm just avoiding spending the money. So for tonight, I'm dictating this on my phone. Apologies if the language is not clear. This was a pretty good session of the box jumps really kicked my ass. I have been dealing with some weird gastritis and or stomach problem for the past few days. The sensation is as if I am hungry and nauseous at the same time. This morning I woke up really early and felt as if I were going to barf. It kind of comes and goes in waves. I had some yogurt before training in that seem to really help maybe it's the calcium in the coconut or maybe it's the probiotic probably the probiotic. Anyhow, I've missed posting on here and miss reading your post as well. I'll make a better effort tomorrow.

Wednesday, March 16, 2016:

Chest/Arms

0. Rower - 500m

1. Incline Bench - 3 x 15 @ 175lbs

2. EZ Curls - 3 x 15 @ 75lbs

3. Tricep Extension - 3 x 15

-

4. PlyoPushups - 3 x 15

5. Decline Fly - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

6. Hammer Curls - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

Got home late so had to scrap most of my rowing plans and do these as giant sets. Still a decent workout, but not as good as yesterday. Legs are just so much more conducive to a hard workout. Posting this right before bed so it will be short. Once I hit the pillow I've got about a 5 minute window before I'm crashed out. Will get at it tomorrow with some body weight work and cardio.

Saturday, March 19, 2016:

Back/Shoulders

0. Rower - 1250m

1. Single Leg Deadlift - 3 x 15* @ 75lbs

2. Arnold Press - 3 x 15 @ 70lbs

-

3. Single Arm Row - 3 x 15* @ 75lbs

4. Goblet Raise - 3 x 15 @ 35lbs

-

5. Seated Lat Raise - 3 x 15 @ 30lbs

6. Pistol Grip Pull-ups - 3x15

Pretty good training today, even though I was tired from the end of the workweek. I'm starting to notice some real progress at least in the mirror from all of the additional cardio on the rower. That's pretty exciting. I'm not very good on eating on Saturdays, and I tend to take in more junk food including going out to dinner at the end of the night. Going to try really hard to abstain from alcohol this evening although I might end up having at least one beer with dinner. Looking forward to sleeping in on Sunday although I hate that it takes up most of my day off. Anyhow, I hope everyone reading has a good weekend and I'll be back on Tuesday.

Tuesday, March 21, 2016:

Legs - TRX Circuit

(3 Rounds, Rest 2 Min)

1. ATG Squat x 15

2. Side Lunge x 15*

3. Single Leg Squat x 15*

4. Hamstring Curl x 15

5. Bulgarian Splits x 15*

Trained later than usual today since I took Penny for a walk on account of the super nice weather. Also trained a bit on the TRX on Monday but that was mostly upper body. I guess it wasn't worth posting. Anyhow, this really wasn't all that challenging compared to other leg days, but it's better than nothing and I didn't feel like putting together a bunch of weights. Also, I was hungry lol. Speaking of, shame on me for getting into the crackers :/.

Chest/arms tomorrow, and some serious rowing.